Sign in with
Your question

Vista Crashing A Lot Recently

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 6, 2011 7:52:26 PM

My Vista system is crashing a lot more recently. First it seems to slow down then slows down more then stops completely. I have tried anti virus and mal ware solutions but it doesn't seem to help. Any more ideas?
July 7, 2011 3:01:14 AM

kumar48 said:
My Vista system is crashing a lot more recently. First it seems to slow down then slows down more then stops completely. I have tried anti virus and mal ware solutions but it doesn't seem to help. Any more ideas?

Could be disk errors, registry errors or even heavy fragmentation (especially of the system files), maybe even incomplete malware / virus scan (like if yu did not scan the WHOLE system).

Here's what I would do:

0. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty.
Solution - Run CheckDisk:
a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select "Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click "Start".
b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or longer. Be patient.)

1. Do a System Restore to a point before this was a problem:
a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore (click to open);
b. Select a restore point well before you started having these problems;
c. Start the restore process and let it complete (Name the restore operation something descriptive like "Shut Down Repair").

Note: you will need to re-install any programs and maybe the updates that were installed after that restore point -- one of which may be the cause of this. Re-Install one at a time so you can see if any one of them causes the problem).

2. Remove Malware from your PC
Solution - Run the Antivrus and then the Antispyware scans (can take a while if never done. Be patient):
a. Scan the whole system with the Anti-Virus & handle whatever found;
b. Scan the whole system with the Anti-Spyware & handle whatever found;
Make sure you scan the WHOLE PC.

3. Next, ensure the Registry is clean.
Solution: Get and run a good registry cleaner.
a. Check to see if there is a registry cleaner already on the system;
b. if none, get CCleaner at CCleaner: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
c. Run the Registry cleaner till it finds and corrects all errors.
d. You can run the file cleaner to get rid of obsolete files (just check the files it selects to confirm you want to delete them).

Note: Be careful with Registry Cleaners as there are many around and new ones come up all the time and some reportedly cause more damage than they help. Use a time-tested reliable one. CCleaner is one of the originals and is reliable, just leave it at default settings till you know what it will remove with each additional setting.

5. Now defragment the drive.
Solution - Consider a good third party program that will defrag your drive and keep it defragmented.

Fragmentation is basically broken-up pieces of files and free space randomly scattered all over your disk. The disk has to work a lot harder to save files in pieces and then to find them again and this really slows your computer down. It also wears out your disk, as the more the disk is used, the faster it wears out.

Basic defragmenting finds all the pieces of a file and puts them together, saving time.

Windows has a built-in defrag tool in the accessories area under "All Programs", but it is very slow and you cannot use the PC while it is running (some users complain that it did not completely defrag their disks despite running all night).

a. Below is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs around:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews....

b. Select a program and install a free trial. The better defrag programs are automatic. The gold medal winner in the above review can defrag while you use the PC and it will also prevent fragmentation (see the review).

c. Defragment your disk drives.

Once this all is done, your PC will be in much better shape and should no longer be crashing or sluggish.

Good luck and let me know how this works out for you.

Bill R TechSpec

PS: If the PC is still acting up, you may have to repair the Vista installation. If this is needed, ask and I will provide directions on how to do that. The above steps will usually resolve everything though.
!