Should PSU be able to be turned on w/c connecting to PC?

foodie

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Hi guys,

I need to exchange the PSU of my desktop PC. Now, I have already got a replacement, an AL-C350ATX, but as I am not tremendously experienced in replacing PSUs, I wanted to check first if the replacement PSU is working at all. I simply plugged the power cable into the replacement PSU (without connecting the PSU to the PC at all) and switched the PSU on, but nothing happened.

Does that tell me that the replacement PSU is not working or would it only allow to be turned on when it is connected properly to the PC?

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Stevo

P.S.: I am just hoping that I haven’t annihilated the replacement PSU already :)

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
The PSU wont work without the green and a black wires being jumpered on the main power cable. Just bend a paper clip so it's in a U shape. Stick one end in the green wire and the other end in a black wire on the main 24 pin connector. Flip on the switch and it'l work, don't worry you wont get electrocuted (at least I havent on all PSU's I've done this with). I have a spare PSU I use all the time to test stuff out before putting it in my PC. Good Luck