Sign in with
Your question

8800GT - What a Joke!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2007 10:20:01 AM

What a joke the 8800GT is.

Nvidia release a kick a$$ chip then no stock. No matter where you search there's not one to be had anywhere, even direct from the Manufacturers own web sites, and several stockists are now quoting January as the earliest stock date.

Kind of makes you wonder if Nvidia is deliberately chocking stock having realised that they've probably going to struggle to sell their GTS / GTX versions given the performance boost on the GT and its low price. Not saying they are, just makes you wonder.

Whole situation just makes me very angry and if ATI had an alternative then Nvidia wouldn't see me for dust! :fou: 

More about : 8800gt joke

November 26, 2007 10:41:12 AM

I have a GT which I got when there was "no" stock. You aren't looking hard enough.
November 26, 2007 10:42:40 AM

I got one on day 2 of the release. You shoulda been faster.

Related resources
November 26, 2007 11:03:50 AM

You really need to look around for one more but they are out their somewhere.
November 26, 2007 11:14:43 AM

Well, not everybody have the luxury of finding/ buying/ getting anything early/ quick/ fast enough before something like happens. Just very unlucky of him...
November 26, 2007 11:40:18 AM

The OP does have a point, however.

I wonder whether nVidia underestimated the demand, or whether they knew there would be supply issues but wanted to make sure to spoil ATI's party?
November 26, 2007 11:53:25 AM

Anonymous said:
man go to www.buy.com they have xfx 8800gt for 289.99$

use the coupon to get 5 percent off
http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074

so you can get it for 275.49$

hope this helps!

Thx but unfortunately I'm in the UK and the only retailer with one is selling the BFG card for a rip off $619!!! Ask me BFG should step in and cut off his stock!
November 26, 2007 12:19:19 PM

I've got one mate and I ordered mine from a retailer in germany.

You could also try www.dollarshops.eu - they are a Dutch site but everything is English. They only stock Sparkle or Jetway but at least you'll have the card quick :) 
November 26, 2007 12:20:06 PM

Mmm...you're not looking very hard. Just checked both the overclockersUK site and scan.co.uk and both have a few in stock.

Grab em while you can!
November 26, 2007 12:46:37 PM

most of the ones on overclockers.co.uk should be in stock for the 29th of this month. I have pre ordered the Asus 700MHz jobby.
November 26, 2007 1:38:11 PM

Don't forget that the preorders are probably back dated so as soon as they get a new batch in (ie the 29th) the original pre orderers will get priority so it may not make much difference. I've been on the look out for a new graphics card for a few months now but am just gonna wait it out until the stock supplies sort themselves out. Even if it takes until the new year. I'm also interested to see if/when nVidia bring out any new offerings, how that changes things.
November 26, 2007 2:07:29 PM

I just got one the other day from club IT. I see them in stock at new egg at least once a week for about a day.
November 26, 2007 2:24:01 PM

i got mine two weeks ago. o well. as soemone else said, u aint looking hard.
November 26, 2007 3:56:42 PM

I got mine - Sign up for newegg and let them auto notify you. Run on and buy ---

Oh ye it helps if you have a blackberry or an email device!
November 26, 2007 4:08:24 PM

Alsone said:
Kind of makes you wonder if Nvidia is deliberately chocking stock having realised that they've probably going to struggle to sell their GTS / GTX versions given the performance boost on the GT and its low price. Not saying they are, just makes you wonder.

Absolutely-- the shortage of GT's is pure marketing strategy. They're selling like hotcakes for inflated prices. But they won't have to struggle when they stick the new chip in those upper-class versions. Be pandemonium all over again (to Nvidia's delight).

I wanted the GT but then decided to wait for the new GTS instead. I'll wait until after the holidays if I have to- no burden on me (my eVGA step-up window ends in January). I'm actually kinda hoping most of the enthusiasts will be all cashed out from buying the GT that the GTS will be easier to get a hold of. But we all know that's wishful thinking.
November 26, 2007 6:53:44 PM

Do you know what is harder than finding an 8800gt? Finding an ati 3870. Looks like everyone is price gouging.

I am not sure that should really upset anyone. $300 is a good price for an overclocked 8800gt. $270 is a good price for a 3870. They are still worth every penny. Not sure why the prices would ever go down.
November 26, 2007 6:59:38 PM

partialsum said:
Absolutely-- the shortage of GT's is pure marketing strategy. They're selling like hotcakes for inflated prices. But they won't have to struggle when they stick the new chip in those upper-class versions. Be pandemonium all over again (to Nvidia's delight).

No its not that the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. Not only are people now not hardly buying 8800GTS or 8800GTX and killing those sales but they don't have any 8800GT sales either.

So that = very bad, not very good however you managed to work that out.

Wish I couold make more money by selling less.
November 26, 2007 7:43:24 PM

I think no more stock...cause it says 40,000 units will be sold only.
November 26, 2007 7:55:19 PM

I just got 2 from dell. their website doesnt have them but if you call them they will look it up and see it in their inventory for their own systems and will sell you some... I also have internal contacts and some of them they have over 40 in stock and im talking EVGA, XFX, and MSI cards. if your having issues with the people at customer service i can get you guys the dell part numbers. so that all you will have to do is say is ... yes i would like to order X of dell part number XXXXXXXXX. PM ME
November 28, 2007 1:47:38 PM

Ok Overclockers finally got some BFG OC2 675mhz 8800GT's in this morning so I bought one.

Thx guys. Still a few left if anyone else in the UK is stuck
November 28, 2007 2:28:30 PM

£10 cheaper on scan.
November 28, 2007 2:38:36 PM

I'm waiting for the 3870-X2 in February. (CF on 1 card).
If rumors are anything close to right, the X2 will have twice the speed as the 3870 and cost about ~$400. Just a rough guess. Always waiting just 2 more months!
Anyway, I hope by then shortages will be over and things will be back to normal.
November 28, 2007 5:27:51 PM

Its just 2 in xifre so u can already see benchmarks for it tbh.
November 28, 2007 6:12:56 PM

Hatman said:
No its not. That's the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. Not only are people now not hardly buying 8800GTS's or 8800GTX's -- and killing those sales -- but they don't have any 8800GT sales either.

Show me your source. A GTX is roughly 200$ more than a GT, but it is still the better card. People that spend 500 dollars on graphics cards are the hardcore enthusiasts that have money to blow. These are the performance junkies that will pay the premium for that one up, slightly better model. They don't have anymore GT sales? Well that's because they are sold out. That's pretty darn good from a business perspective.

Hatman said:
So that = very bad, not very good however you managed to work that out.

I don't follow.

Hatman said:

Wish I couold make more money by selling less.

Like Nvidia? Those cards are selling at roughly 300 dollars. They're supposed to be 260 or 270. The GT has been an incredibly successful launch. Trust me Nvidia is not hurting.
November 28, 2007 6:32:54 PM

Thats the shop upping the price not nvidia... for a start it would be a brand before nvidia anyway.

Its not good you fool, they are sold out because HARDLY NONE HAVE BEEN SHIPPED!!! I don't trust you, you are practically saying what YOU think is happening. Its been an absolutely TERRIBLE launch.

As Is aid before, now most people will NOT look for an expensive £300 card when a £170 card performs just as good! And since its ONLY just coming in stock, I think itll be sold out soon again tbh, they arent getting many sales at all.

If you dont think taht makes sense over "theyll just spend an extra £130 anyway" then you are quiet mad.

Besides, I read it somewhere Ill try 2 find it.
November 28, 2007 6:45:23 PM

It took me 2 freaking weeks to get a HD3870. Luckily, Thanksgiving took up an entire week or else I'll be really mad.
November 28, 2007 9:48:07 PM

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135734

Check out that beast, no pic yet but its an 8800GTS SSC 112SP ACS3 overclocked card, which means better cooler quieter etc..

£310!
November 29, 2007 12:42:56 AM

Hatman said:
Its not good you fool, they are sold out because HARDLY NONE HAVE BEEN SHIPPED!!! I don't trust you, you are practically saying what YOU think is happening. Its been an absolutely TERRIBLE launch.

Reminds me of the PS2 and PS3 launches.. aka giant middle finger ---> consumer.
I seem to recall various manuf. excuses for those botched jobs. However when the consumer is sitting there with their wallet open, and there is nothing to buy, it feels like the business is saying, "We don't want your money."

I just have to believe that said launches are not fully intentional. I must. Because if I realize that marketing crews are allowed to render such wonderous decisions, I will lose all hope.
November 29, 2007 1:19:55 AM

There is plenty. Here in Asia you can just walk in retail stores and buy it at MSRP
November 29, 2007 2:43:37 AM

hok said:
There is plenty. Here in Asia you can just walk in retail stores and buy it at MSRP

hax
November 29, 2007 1:48:07 PM

Singapore got people lining up for the card...
!