Asus P5W-DH stuck on Auto-detecting 4th Master

justfcuk

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hey guys,
This morning i turn my PC on without having a problem since i bought this pc. PC posts and pauses on Auto-detecting 4th Master, and just sits there, it has not frozen, as I can still press delete and watch it attempt to load into BIOS but only just says please wait while loading, while still sitting on the Auto-detecting screen.

I have not added any hardware to cause this, disconnected all USB devices. Could this be a driver issue?

System setup:
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
E6600 @ 3.2 - 8xMult - 400FSB
Corsair 800Mhz 2GB (2 x 1GB)
WD 320GB SATA
Pioneer 111D
Silverstone 750W
(the rest i don't think is important)

Any of you have an idea of what could be causing this? Im at work atm, so i only had like 10 mins to play around with it this morning, disconnected hdd still got stuck, disconnected dvd-rom while hdd was plugged in, still got stuck.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You can rule out a driver issue since your machine is stuck in the POST before even trying to load the OS. Try resetting the cmos settings.

tbsd

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I also recently encountered this problem.

I have removed all the SATA+IDE controllers from the board yet it still is stuck at the 4th controller.

I will try and reset the CMOS today. Other than that, im stumped.

tbsd

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Ok, I just reset my onboard cmos and ... still doesn't work!

I'll spend another week troubleshooting before I attempt to purchase another motherboard. My symptoms include having a full operating machine which I hardly shutdown and upon shutting down the computer for one day I no longer can turn on the machine.

WalkerFR

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Hi,

I have just the same problem. The computer was working fine and yesterday morning when I tried to turn it on, it just stuck on the 4th detecting drive. If any of you has an idea of what to do please tell me

Dominique

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Hi can you enter the BIOS? Any USB devices attached?

WalkerFR

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
nope when i press delete or F8 the line saying "press del to enter the bios" changes to "entering bios setup" but since it would occur after finishing the auto detection nothing else happen. I have tried to clear the CMOS and unplug all the usb and even all the hard drive it doesn't change much. Actually what unplugging the hardrives changes, is that when all the drives are plugged the auto detection find them all (from primary master in IDE to first master in SATA...) and it stucks on the 4th and when there is nothing plugged it tries to detect only the 4th and stop there. Since it doesn't go to the boot sequence I can't flash the bios even via a floppy. I am a bit lost. I will try to send a mail to asus but without much hope

G

Well i hav the same problem i did every thing but the msg did not disappear until i got soo frustrated that i kicked my machine and it restart and well what u know it booted fine.

from there on i do it regular beating and it starts well even boot faster.

Does not make any sense what so ever but still it works. :) hope u can try at your own risk.