Sign in with
Your question

GA-P35-DS3L restart problem...

Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2007 9:25:30 PM

I'm having a problem a with my GA-P35-DS3L motherboard and before I send it back I wanted to see if anyone knows what might be causing the problem.

I have an E2160 CPU and 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DR2 800 w/4-4-4-12 timings. I had to change the memory voltage to 2.2V cause that's what the Crucial is spec'd at. I also increased the FSB to 266 and set the memory divider to 3 to run the CPU at 2.4Ghz. It runs fine until you try to restart it after it's been running for a while. Then it starts up for a couple seconds and then it turns off for a few seconds and keeps doing it unless I pull the plug on the power supply (turn off switch actually). After I pull the power and then reconnect it and turn it on, it will do the on/off thing a few more times and then it will boot up.

December 14, 2007 2:27:44 AM

With your FSB set to 266, your memory DDR2 800 does not need set memory divider to 3. Try set mem divider to 2 (1:1), timing 4-4-4-12 and all voltages @ "auto" in BIOS.
December 15, 2007 9:47:59 PM

Probably a bad setup - to O/C, try changing one thing at a time, then testing. If it passes, repeat. If not, you know where the problem is.

Just because the RAM spec is 2.2v doesn't mean it needs it.
Related resources
December 15, 2007 10:36:50 PM

Sounds like a bad overclock. You probably need to raise your Vcore. But you should do a search for a C2D overclocking guide and follow it closely. RMAing the board won't do anything.
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2007 10:59:57 PM

I have the exact same mother board and has my E2180 @3.2Ghz on a OCZ Vanquiser I bought for $10.

These are the setings I recomend:

Set "System Voltages" to "Auto".
Set the "Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
Disable "CIA2"
Set the "SPD" so that the result will be 800Mhz or less.
Set "DRAM DLL" to "Option 2"
Set the "CPU Host Frequency" to 266Mhz
Save and Reboot

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=282308
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=dodzmgt...
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=ftenwyj...

*Note these benchmarks were run before the CPU was OCed to 3.2Ghz. The results shown are at 3.05Ghz.

++PM Me if you have more specific questions on this Board.
December 15, 2007 11:07:00 PM

If it runs fine stock theres nothing wrong with the board. I'd say read the overclock stickys again. That cpu should run 3.0 pretty easy with stock cooler even.
December 24, 2007 11:40:54 PM

You are running Microsoft's latest trick, VISTA, right?

The problem you are looking for is not HW related. It is a pure MS VISTA thing. They tried to fix it with the hotfixes KB930261 and KB929777. But it didn't work out.

I have the same problem :(  . I would like to downgrade to XP, but Microsoft won't let me. Too bad I paid for this crap.

Cheers
Paul
December 25, 2007 12:02:08 AM

I have the same board and would not recommend setting the voltages to 'auto'. This is because the board always sets the voltages too high leading to higher temperatures. Instead maybe use 'auto' to take a peek at the voltages its automatically set to and work your way down.
December 25, 2007 1:14:35 AM

If your computer is restarting like that something is wrong with your motherboard or PSU. Had the same exact problem twice. Once was the PSU, the other time it was unfortunetaly the motherboad...just replaced GIGABYTE DS3R with cheaper DS3L till replacement comes.
April 30, 2008 10:13:45 PM

Replaced the motherboard, problem fixed... Thanks to all that replied...

{DCR}MADMECH
May 2, 2008 10:27:18 PM

Is this a sign of a bad board? My computer won't restart - and wouldn't - until I overvolted the FSB to +.1.

Now it restarts just fine. It's a rev 1.0 board - and my warranty will probably expire in the next month or so - thing I should replace it?
!