OverClocking with Lower NB/Sb temps.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Does anybody have any experience with hitting a wall in there respective OC then cooling your chipset to find that you can break through that wall?

I currently have my E2160 and DS3L @ 3.2GHz, 1.4875V. I'm sure I'm missing something or this is just the limit of my chip, but I can't post over 3.28GHz despite everything I've tried. I've tried 1.6V in BIOS with no luck and the next step up from that is 1.8V and I'm not going there :pfff: .

Thanks.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
While better cooling will reduce temps and therefore reduce resistance, you should be able to reduce voltage at the same clock speed. And by having lower heat and voltage, you should be able to OC higher. But this effect has only a certain effect, largely due to how much cooling.

It's also possible that you simply have a lemon cpu or motherboard. If it bothers you so much, you can always sell your E2160 and buy another in hopes of achieving better OC. Anyways, many people has trouble getting the E2xxx series above 3.2GHz so it's not surprising you hit the wall.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lol, there are no experts here, silly, only wannabes. :na:

What chipset does that DS3L use? The bottleneck is in your motherboard, but depending on the chipset, it might be either heat bottleneck or chipset not able to handle high enough FSB. You left some important information: What temperature is it running at, and what FSB + multiplier you are using.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Is it really the motherboard that's the wall? To find out, set your cpu multiplier down to x8 or x7, then OC to the same speed. If you can do this, it's the CPU that's the wall.

If you can't, it's either the ram or the motherboard.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Gigabyte-P35-DS3L

Temps are under 66C during a 12H Prime run at 3.2GHz.

I'm currently working on a 3.3GHz O.C. and I can't post with FSB367 x 9. My RAM is underclocked at 734MHz and running in 5,5,5,15. MemTest OK. I've run my Vcore up to 1.6V and still no post.

Thanks Evilonigiri, sounds good.