7600gt to 8600gt Upgrade questions. Quick Response?

I currently have a 760gt with a AMD X2 3800+ at 2.2GHz and 2 Gb of Memory.

What percentage performance gain could I expect for an upgrade to 8600? 50% Increase,
Is there a better upgrade for $175 or less?

Would a 512MB version give a noticeable performance gain over the average 256MB?

Thanks for the answers, the 8800gt and 3870 are not option due to availability issues.
15 answers Last reply
More about 7600gt 8600gt upgrade questions quick response
  1. Then wait.
    Imo don't bother with an inferior card just because you can't wait.
  2. The two cards are very close in performance in DX9 mode, so the only reason to get the 8600 would be DX10 mode. Unfortunately it is a very poor performer in that area.

    In short, any upgrade less than an 8800gt, ATI 3 series would be a waste of money.
  3. Will the 3850 be a noticeable jump in performance? The cost of the 3870 and the 8800gt are also to high for me, if the 3870 was still 220 though. oh well the 3850 then?
  4. The 3850 performs about as fast as the x1950XT, which was a much faster card then the 7600/8600GT. If you can afford the 3850, it would provide the boost you are looking for.

    I'm not sure the 7900GS would provide enough "ummph" that you could feel. Like the x1950pro, its is faster then your 7600GT, but not jaw dropping so. If you already have a 7600GT, I'd look for something with lots of power that would make you happy. 8800GT, 3870/3850, x1950XT, 7950GT, etc.
  5. ill say wait. dont waste ur money on **** graphics card. just wait.
  6. The 3850 is easily twice the card of the 7600GT and would be an excellent buy for your budget.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241066
    Free shipping, in stock as of 2:20 PST

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103049
    Free shipping, in stock as of 2:21 PST

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007260
    In stock as of 2:23 PST
  7. The 3850 would be a lot faster than your 7600gt, and if you can find one with 512MB that would be even better. The RV670 is powerful enough to warrant the extra VRAM.
  8. If you have a 19" monitor, a 256mb is fine. For 22" or larger, 512 is better. More video ram has more to do with higher resolutions than performance. In other words, you would notice little difference at 1280x1024(19").
  9. do any knows what are the new cards..and when they are comming n prices too...thanks man
  10. tlmck said:
    If you have a 19" monitor, a 256mb is fine. For 22" or larger, 512 is better. More video ram has more to do with higher resolutions than performance. In other words, you would notice little difference at 1280x1024(19").

    Textures use VRAM too, and some games require quite a lot (512MB) to function properly with high settings. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 and that Lord of the Rings MMO are a couple of examples. Of course, different games will utilize the extra VRAM better than others, but the trend seems to be towards 512MB as a minimum for high settings.
  11. homerdog said:
    Textures use VRAM too, and some games require quite a lot (512MB) to function properly with high settings. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 and that Lord of the Rings MMO are a couple of examples. Of course, different games will utilize the extra VRAM better than others, but the trend seems to be towards 512MB as a minimum for high settings.

    In theory you are correct. I am just waiting for the game that makes it fact. Heck, I'm still waiting for that magical 512mb card they told us we needed to run Doom3/Quake4 in "ultra mode".

    Personally, I think the mystical high end is just a marketing invention to keep people forever upgrading.
  12. tlmck said:
    In theory you are correct. I am just waiting for the game that makes it fact. Heck, I'm still waiting for that magical 512mb card they told us we needed to run Doom3/Quake4 in "ultra mode".

    Personally, I think the mystical high end is just a marketing invention to keep people forever upgrading.

    As I stated, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 requires a "magical" 512MB card to enable high texture settings unless you hack the .cfg file, which can cause strange things to happen. World in Conflict will let you choose high, but performance takes a significant hit. The point is that 256MB is not enough for a powerful GPU like the RV670 to stretch its legs.

    If a 512MB card is out of the price range 256 will do, but sometimes textures will have to be lowered
  13. if you got a fatty for the 8600 get the gts version should...will see big gains
  14. but not 50%
  15. Get the 8600GTS? Unless it is priced around $100, I wouldn't bother with it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance AMD Memory Graphics Product