Will ATX Mobo fit in BTX Case ?

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
My friend bought a Dell XPS computer a while ago, and the motherboard died. He wants to replace the motherboard, but according to Dell, the motherboard that supplied along with their systems are BTX form factor. I want to know whether an ATX motherboard will fit on the Dell case? Because we tried calling Dell, they want to charge $450 to replace the motherboard, which is crazy, was thinking if we could purchase a much better ATX motherboard, for less.

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
So, what's the solution? How do I replace the BTX motherboard on Dell? Dell wants to charge $450 just for a motherboard replacement.

If you have an xps 700, there's a listing in yahoo for a gentlemen that has a spare dell BTX board. He wants an offer. His email address is: sale-491963812@craigslist.org. It was posted yesterday. Pricewatch also has some Intel BTX boards, starting at $58 shipped. You might have to splice the case leads to the motherboard, but that's alot cheaper than paying dell $450.

booman

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
If you buy a new ATX case I'll take the BTX case off your hands. I've been searching the internet for BTX cases, and they are hard to find. I have several ATX cases, maybe we could trade.
Let me know...

jimmybob_90

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

if you replace a btx with an atx you will need a power supply also as dell power supplies are dell only and if you plug it into the new NON DELL board, the board will smoke and be junk when you turn it on,

your best bet is to google used computer parts in your area and find a replacement dell board

jimmybob_90, this is untrue.

If you plug a non dell power supply into a dell computer it will not blow up your computer, nor will it blow up your computer if you plug a DELL power supply into a non-dell computer.

I know from experience, having done it myself.

Power is power, the only thing that matters is whether it is enough or too little and whether or not the power is delivered consistently.

If your requirements are 200w and you put in a 1200w it won't fry anything in my experience.

That being said, DELL cases have the hole for the power cord in the wrong place in the back of the computer.

If you slide a non-dell power supply into the case you will find the hole for the power cord to be completely covered up by the metal case (it won't fully slide in because of this.

If you have metal cutters and you are willing to endure a non pretty looking case you can just cut out the portion of metal that covers up the power cord connection and the power supply will go all the way in.

The DELL cases have some metal tabs that go in screw holes instead of screws in some places, but the holes for screws are in the same places so these tabs will just slide right into the screw holes for any regular PSU.

Aside from the fact that you will have bent metal hanging out of the back of your computer and the associated ugly factor there isn't anything different performance wise by doing any of this.

The case is structurally sound enough to be unaffected by removal of metal in this area as well.

That being said, low end cases are really cheap. You can get low end Cooler Master cases for like $30, an AMD Phenom 2 x4 840 processor with motherboard for like $60. 2x 4GB sticks go for like $40 if your ram isn't the same type as the old board.

If your computer is worse than those specs, it may be better to just spend the $130 on a whole new setup. The rest of the parts you could just transfer over like video card, power source, hard drives, CD drives, etc. Dell Monitors work just fine with non-dell computer cores if you have the right drivers, etc.

Something to consider in comparison to the cost of used DELL motherboards on ebay.

Going that route, you would be free of DELL's ultra expensive replacement part grip.

Also note, if you do end up getting a DELL motherboard off ebay and it isn't the same type as you had before, DELL will tell you that you have to use DELL RAM and stuff in it, you don't as long as you make sure that you get RAM with exactly the right specifications. Other company's RAM will cost like 1/3 as much and work just as well, but you have to download the DELL manual for your new motherboard and see the exact RAM specifications from it.

Putting the wrong RAM in a slot can jack a lot of things up, but everything is pretty straightforward if you do your research first. If the one you get on ebay has enough RAM already for your tastes, don't worry about this obviously.

- Edit - It is important to make sure the power source has the right cables for connecting to a new motherboard if you get one, a 20 + 4 setup will work for both 20 and 24, but a straight 24 will not work in a 20 unless you risk physically cutting the connector so that it becomes 20 + 4 instead of 24. If you did that, though, it would work if done properly. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I just wanted to say that I wasn't entirely right in the previous response, a few DELL models including XPS models pre-2000 did have those sorts of problems. If you are using a computer that old and/or replacing your motherboard with a motherboard that old, you could have that sort of problem.

If the board has a 24 pin connector AND a 20 pin connector, beware of non-dell PSUs.

My PSU switching with DELL hardware was on post-2000 computers so such things didn't happen when I shoved regular ATX PSUs into them.

As long as you are working with newish hardware, this shouldn't be a problem anymore.

RedSamus4

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

well it certainly helped me out a bit since i'm looking for a "upgrade" for my parents 20 year old dell. And hopefully someone will read this and know that i'm just answering an old question because i was searching for answers as well

WhatAreYouLookingAt

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

I'm here to tell you this helped me and this is from 2016.

Dapcmaster

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

And here we are at 2017 :p

cpams322

Honorable
Dec 26, 2017
It's now 2018 and I have somewhat benefited from this thread. Too bad BTX never made it to stardom status. It was superior to ATX as far as airflow goes. I have a Dell Optiplex 760 with BTX form factor mobo. The air flows nicely and very cool over the CPU, NB and SB and over the graphics card. The air flow is so cool, in the winter time I have to wear a hoodie when I'm sitting near it with the case open. No joke. With an ATX, I have to strip down to my underwear with an air conditioner blowing straight on me to keep me from sweating and the PC from overheating ;)

Wikipdia's article about ATX says the reason why BTX was abandoned was because it was first created for better airflow & cooling. But was abandoned because, since then, components were designed to create less waste heat. But that's bogus because even if they create less waste heat, they would still benefit from better airflow and cooling. BTX should still have replaced ATX.

I suspect there is an ATX mafia that was instrumental in making sure BTX never made a real splash in the market lol.

ATX is OK, but BTX is/was much better.

Latest posts