Improving PS, better OC potential?

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Here's the quick story....

Building a new computer for my mother, and I'm going to need a new power supply. I just got myself an Antec Earth Watts 430 not six months ago, and it's just fine for me (E2160 OCed to 3.0, 8600GT). Now for $50 or so, I can get her the same one, but for only $90, I can get myself a new Antec Sonata 3 case which comes with the Earth Watts 500. I'll just keep both of those for myself, and give her the 430W, which will be well more than she'll need for her build (E2140, on-board graphics).

My question is, will upgrading from one not-really stressed power supply to and even bigger and less stressed one help me to get a better or more stable overclock? Might I be able to lower my 1.3625 V-core some to reduce some heat?

Not bad when I charge her $50 for the PS, and I'm out the other $40 for a nice new shiny case and bigger (and thus more future proof) power supply.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
IMO, your OC will suffer due to poor airflow. I don't know what case you're using now so I can't say if you'd be any worse off.

Perp

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I find all cases that come with a PS to be suspect. Either the case as stated above has poor airflow or the PS is garbage.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
PSU is a good one. I actually own one with no major complaints.

I looked at the case and there is no air flow. I don't even know if I would use it as a HTPC.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The case I'm using now is an Antec Lanboy. As mentioned, I have an Earth Watts 430 in it. It has a low speed 120mm fan in the front, and one in the back. It's built for a new-age, ultra cool look and for easy transport, neither of which are important to me.

The Antec Sonata is built to be quiet (a big plus for me), and to look like a very clean case. It's also got a 120mm fan in the back, and you can install one in the front where the hard drives are. The front with 3x 5.25" drives, 2x 2.5" drives, and 4 hard drive bays is identical to what I have now. It's a bit taller and longer, though, so things won't be as cramped as they are now. If I put a 120mm fan in the front, it will have 2 of them in the case, just like the case I have now, so how could the airflow be worse than what I have?

Also, shouldn't things be cooler with a less-stressed power supply? It shouldn't generate as much heat as the one I'm replacing, right?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
If your original PSU was enough for your system, a more powerful PSU will not improve OCing. Sure, it might be cooler, but hot air is expelled out of the case anyways so there should be negligible impact on OCing.

Putting your components into a case with better airflow should help OCing, but I would expect that it wouldn't be much. Nonetheless, the cooler the better, so if you think it's worth it, go for it.