Closed

max safe temp on 8800 gt

So, i know some of you OC'ers here can probably answer this for me. Im lookin for the max temp for the 8800GT. I wanna give mine more juice, but when ever Im done gaming, my GPU is at 77C as far as temp is concerned. what are your thoughts about this?

btw, my card was factory OC'ed by xfx to 640. I had it at 670. it wasnt bad, but really would like to know what my green area is before i get nutty with it.

Please discuss, and tell me what you have found to be over the limit so to speak.
14 answers Last reply
More about safe temp 8800
  1. keep with under 90c under full load
  2. itotallybelieveyou said:
    keep with under 90c under full load



    best rule of thumb, EVGA has said there designed to witstand 100C but i wouldn't suggest it

    DL RivaTuner i think its like v2.06b or something like that it supports the 8800GT and you can change the fan speed (Its stock at like 28% most people say it dosn't get 2 loud till it hits 50%-60% depending on your own preference on sound.
  3. Hey A 6pack In!

    Just wondering, are you using stock air cooling or liquid? :)
  4. This may help you out a bit if your stuck on or without fan settings. Works for 2.06 versions also.
    Personaly, I don't want to see over 80C.

    http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner2/
  5. FatFunkey said:
    best rule of thumb, EVGA has said there designed to witstand 100C but i wouldn't suggest it.


    That is IMPRESSIVE!
  6. im using the factory cooler.. i thought about a additional fan, but my system currently has 6 case fans also.
  7. I have fans set at 60% I idle at 50C and at MAX load I get 60C..never seen it go higher. Also, I don't notice any additional noise since at 60% fan speed is still quicker than my case fans...if i go to about 65% than I can notice it.

    - Download RivaTuner 2.06, than follow these instructions: http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449

    EDIT: Ignore my post..i haven't sleep in a longtime..and didn't read your original post. lol.
  8. Okay. You need to keep temps down. We all do. I am waiting till the HR03 GT releases (preordered) then the OC will commence. Yes, with a QuALiTy 120 fan it will set you back ($US) $80 or so with shipping to US temps in the 50-60 range running test software.

    Week or two weeks max. Google it. No better on the market now, buy it. The Dual Orb is nice too, but the TR is better.
  9. qmalik said:
    I have fans set at 60% I idle at 50C and at MAX load I get 60C..never seen it go higher. Also, I don't notice any additional noise since at 60% fan speed is still quicker than my case fans...if i go to about 65% than I can notice it.

    - Download RivaTuner 2.06, than follow these instructions: http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449

    EDIT: Ignore my post..i haven't sleep in a longtime..and didn't read your original post. lol.



    Agree

    I am using the same program with the same settings of the tutorial, and my Video Card under load is around 58C-60C.
  10. I forget where but I read this but the fan doesn't get to 100% until it hits 90 degrees, so anything under that *should* be safe...
  11. fx51 said:
    Agree

    I am using the same program with the same settings of the tutorial, and my Video Card under load is around 58C-60C.


    thats exactly what im lookin to be at whenever im playing games and such.. and i was wondering if 77C was a bit too hot, cause in the realm of cpu, thats gettin up there. So i guess im good, ill keep it under 90C

    thanks for the help
  12. well increase the GPU fan speed
  13. Hello. First time poster. :)
    Anyway, I've got an 8800 GTS, and I'm controlling it using Rivatuner.
    When I'm browsing, and generally messing about, my GPU temp is around the 60°c mark, and when I'm playing MW2, it goes up to around 90°c (with fan settings on 80%.)
    Is this about right or is it wrong?
    Sorry to sound a bit of a noob, but thanks for any help. I've already wasted one 8800 this year and don't wanna kill another! :)
  14. aferg01 said:
    Hello. First time poster. :)
    Anyway, I've got an 8800 GTS, and I'm controlling it using Rivatuner.
    When I'm browsing, and generally messing about, my GPU temp is around the 60°c mark, and when I'm playing MW2, it goes up to around 90°c (with fan settings on 80%.)
    Is this about right or is it wrong?
    Sorry to sound a bit of a noob, but thanks for any help. I've already wasted one 8800 this year and don't wanna kill another! :)

    Max temp limit is about 105c IIRC so you should be OK, and please check the post dates in future as you are posting in a thread that is over two years old.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics