Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot bios nor xp after intstalling new hard and removing old

Last response: in Windows XP
April 18, 2010 1:34:11 AM

My original ide hardrive was master and slaved with an ide dvd rom. When it crashed I installed a sata hard drive and reinstalled win xp with no problem. I then removed the old dead ide hard drive and now I cannot boot up period. Cant boot with cd xp and cant get into my bios....my computer boots only up to the initial bios abit screen where you enter "DEL" to enter setup but nothing happens. Reset my cmos on the motherboard and took out the m/b battery and reinstalled it and still nothing. Help.....
April 18, 2010 3:05:42 AM

Disconnect the data and power cables from all the drives in your computer and then try to boot up to the BIOS setup. If you are successful, then try again... reconnecting one drive at a time.
m
l
April 18, 2010 7:44:13 AM

thecamel said:
My original ide hardrive was master and slaved with an ide dvd rom. When it crashed I installed a sata hard drive and reinstalled win xp with no problem. I then removed the old dead ide hard drive and now I cannot boot up period. Cant boot with cd xp and cant get into my bios....my computer boots only up to the initial bios abit screen where you enter "DEL" to enter setup but nothing happens. Reset my cmos on the motherboard and took out the m/b battery and reinstalled it and still nothing. Help.....

Is this an OEM built computer - a Dell by any chance? If so, the BIOS is tied to the old hard disk so you would need to set up a dual boot. This you do by editing boot.ini in the original hard disk to allow for the presence of another system in Hard Disk 1, Partition ? - probably zero.

m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2010 7:50:03 AM

Good idea Saga Lout! I had forgotten about that particular oddity.

Tip of the hat to you!
m
l
April 18, 2010 8:45:56 AM

digitalprospecter said:
Good idea Saga Lout! I had forgotten about that particular oddity.

Tip of the hat to you!

So might I have done if I hadn't got one on the bench now, Doug. A right little beggar of a Dell with a creaking and grinding hard disk that's about to give up on me. Shiny new box sitting on the bench beside it but the hard disk throws a 7B Stop Error every time because it isn't on the BIOS platform it was promised at birth. I've installed XP Pro on the new box from my VLK and transferred most of its programmes and all the files transferred. I exported some Registry bits but as the old system was Home SP2 and the new one is up-to-date Pro, I can't risk running the entire registry over. This thing has to run my customer's payroll at 10:00 tomorrow one way or the other so I'd better crack on. :D 

It's incredible how Dell and others were ever allowed to get away with stunts like this. I can only assume the States doesn't have a decent, strong Federal trading standards law.

Roger

m
l
April 18, 2010 11:48:49 PM

digitalprospecter said:
Disconnect the data and power cables from all the drives in your computer and then try to boot up to the BIOS setup. If you are successful, then try again... reconnecting one drive at a time.

Hey Dig: I did that,,disconnected cbls and power from both hrd drv & cdrom...still cant get into bios or boot past mb bios screen where I need to hit DEL key to enter.
m
l
April 19, 2010 2:20:19 AM

Ok... so let's try clearing the BIOS Settings, in case they have corrupted. The easiest way would be to unplug your AC Power and take out the motherboard battery (typically looks like a silver coin) for 5 to 10 minutes. The put the battery back in a try powering on the components.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers!
m
l
April 19, 2010 6:04:00 AM

Saga Lout said:

it isn't on the BIOS platform it was promised at birth.

:cry: 
m
l
April 19, 2010 6:05:28 AM

I have a better "cry" smiley, Digit. Will send it by email, and you know what to do.
m
l
!