Gigabyte CMOS & Memory

kolac

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
HI! I have some serious problem with my secondary computer so I realized I should be fine to ask you if you dont know how to solve it. I have Gigabyte 7VT600-L, few week ago I woke up started computer and there was a CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR message, so I was surprised wtf is that because it worked perfectly a day before. It wasnt to only thing that was going on. Every time I unplug my computer from electricity and then try to start it. It says I have only 256mb of RAM ( but I have 1GB), then I just shut it down with a button before it starts booting system, try to start it again... still 256mb RAM, shut down and start few times and wtf? 512mb of RAM. I dont understand. When I start it & shut it down few time like that it goes normally 1GB but theres a CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR MESSAGE. When a continue to boot system and try to work with 256 or 512 of RAM, computer doesnt display CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR. but workd totally slow like a crap. I have 2x512MB RAM KIngston 400Mhz CL3. I tested ram in other computer and works fine. I also read tons of forums about CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR and I tried to change the battery and it didnt solved the problem. DO you have any ideas?

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Okay normally this happens when the battery is dead, but since you've already changed it we can rule out the battery, except if the battery you've put in is also dead(which is probably not the case). I see your motherboard is fairly old. Check the board's caps.With age they swell up and start to leak and can be responsible for all sorts of weird behaviour.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007