Raptor -> Velociraptor - How to copy.

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Hi!

I filled up my 75GB Raptor last night. So, I took this as a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a new 300GB Velociraptor.

What is the easiest way to "clone" my old hdd? Do you think I can just hook up the new hdd as a slave and drag and drop the entire old drive to it? Will it boot when I hook up the new drive as the primary?

Make sense? I've done this before, but I can't remember how. I might have used Ghost, but the copy I had wasn't compatible with Vista Ultimate.

Thanks!

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
can't ghost be run from a boot disk? can't remember, been a while, else upgrade ghost to a vista compatible one, ghost rocks.

tgmchuck

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Vista should have a disk image utility inder the tools section. Create an image to a 3rd location such as a backpack drive. Swap the new drive in, boot off the windows disk and select the image restore option. Easy! Or you can grab a new copy of ghost if you dont' trust the MS version.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Ghost `03 has a "Clone" option which runs from a floppy or CD, and will allow you to clone the entire disk, including partition(s) drectly from your 74 to the new 300. I have Raptor 150's and clone weekly. Another good utility is Acronis.

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for the tips guys. Vista won't let me image just the Raptor (C:\). It wants me to image either the whole system or select files. I have two hdds installed and only want to create an image of the Raptor. So, I thought I would try Acronis True Image 11 Home, because it was cheaper than Ghost and got some great reviews. BUT I keep getting an error while trying to install it. I have spent 6 hours so far with customer support trying to get it fixed. Now, I am sending them log files. First impressions not so great. I might have wasted $40.

fishmagnet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I've just transferred my dual boot os from a 150 gb raptor to the wd velociraptor using acronis true image . which did a proportional split for the partitions.

This was all very scary ,as this is very unfamiliar ground for me , and it all went without a hitch. I am very impressed with the acronis product.

i had bought it bundled with acronis disk director suite.

My boot manager went awol this week and my it tech used my vista disk to reboot , and then told me that i had lost my dual boot setup . I did a google search for a boot manager type software , and was suprised to find I already owened one in Acronis disk director! Within what seemed like only a couple of miinutes , asronis os selector was running and i can dual boot again! A different IT tech wanted to charge me $400.00 to get it going again!

All I can say is stick with the acronis product

Cheers Greg

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Well, after another couple hours online with Acronis support, I finally got to talk to someone who knew what they were doing. The problem was with some of the drivers. I had to delete four existing drivers out of the System32/drivers folder and the install ran perfectly. Their support staff never gave up. After the initial frustration, I must say that I am very pleased with Acronis True Image 11 Home. Imaging the old hdd and restoring it to my new Velociraptor was easy and worked perfectly. The software imaged the hdd much faster than Ghost did, too.

Thanks again for the help.

Acronis TrueImage workstation is an amazing program. We use it at work. I have it on my workstation myself. It's just amazingly easy to clone a hard drive using this program.

All you do is install your new hard drive, boot off the cd, and click clone disk. You can resize the partitions to how you want it. Redo the partitions if you want to. Of course there is a minimum size you can set based on how much data is to actually be cloned.

I'm pretty sure the home edition does the cloning also and it's 50 bucks. Acronis also has universal restore which allows you to restore the images you take to a new different computer. I've experimented this at work and it's amazing how well it works. I've made an image of a dell computer and restored the image to a sony computer using completely different hardware. This addon though is only available for workstation and server versions.

This is an old post but maybe it'll help still. Or perhaps help someone else.

Ahh i just read this. Nice we at work LOVE acronis workstation! It works great. Glad you discovered the program also.

I'm pondering on buying a velocityraptor. How do you like yours so far?

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Ahh i just read this. Nice we at work LOVE acronis workstation! It works great. Glad you discovered the program also.

And it was cheaper. Have you used the wipe utilitly on True Image?

I'm pondering on buying a velocityraptor. How do you like yours so far?

I love it so far. I got the 300 GB. I might do a little benchmarking (or see if I can find some) between the old Raptor and the Velociraptor. I don't know how big the improvement might be, since they are both 10kRPM. I haven't really noticed a difference. I thought Vista might be loading faster, but it might just be me wanting to see a difference. What are you using now?

I've used the disk wipe utility. it works good. Although i was using the FREE version of acronis true image though. No one knows about it. The catch is you need a seagate or maxtor drive. It's pretty limited though - it's an edition below home really.

I bought my copy of true image workstation WITH universal restore through work for 41 bucks :p same cost as the home edition.

I primarily use seagate drives. Just a preference really. But that WD drive sounds very impressive. I did some searches and there are a ton of reviews on it. tomshardware has an extensive review on this drive. Just check under articles -> storage. The drives performance ranks up there with SAS drives.

Just a little secret with speeding up vista, if you turn off indexing and windows defender you will notice a huge drive speed increase.