How to stope several boot menu's at onset of computer

Nasawife3

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
When I bring up the computer I have several boot menu's that appear, how do stop them. I have compaq, acer, window XP and the welcome screen. How do I get the start menu to come up only.

Thanks,
Frog

Solution
Start-->run-->msconfig-->boot.ini tab-->click the button to check your boot paths. If you have extra, invalid boot paths, it will remove them.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I thought that at first too aford10. The OP's use of the boot menus term makes one think that it is a multiple boot issue, but then the following statements, about Acer, Compaq, and the Welcome Screen make me think of the various screens displayed during bootup (though the Compaq and Acer together puzzle me, unless it is an Acer brand video card). Maybe his solution should be to enable Quick Boot in th BIOS?

Cheers!

Or simply edit boot.ini to reduce the number of seconds to display the message down to three - just enough to make a choice if you have to. If you don't, set it at zero.

Nasawife3

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

I have an Acer Monitor, an Compaq stack. When I turn on the computer the acer screen comes on first, then black screen, the compaq screen, then another black screen, the Windows XP, then another black screen, then Welcome screen and the finally the startup screen.

Nasawife3

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

We have an Acer Monitor, an Compaq stack, now when I turn on the computer these are the pop screens that come on before the startup screen appears

Acer
Compaq
Window XP
Welcome Screen

How can I stop these so that the startup come up only.

Thanks,
Frog

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Frog,

This sounds like a normal startup to me. The Compaq logo can sometimes be turned off in the BIOS by entering System Setup when starting up your computer. You would typically see a message on the Compaq screen telling you to press the 'Del' key (or the 'F2' or some other key) to enter System Setup.

In the System Setup (and there are many different versions) you can look for an option to disable the Compaq Logo, and also look for an option to enable a Quick Boot.

To turn off the Windows Logo Screen, you can follow the steps from this article:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/splash-screen-1.htm

If you have only one user profile on your computer, you can go to Start Button->Control Panel-> User Accounts and select 'Change the way Users log on or off' and uncheck the 'Use the Welcome Screen' option

This should eliminate some of those screens for you and speed up the startup time a little bit.

Cheers!

Nasawife3

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Thanks, a bunch. I was able to remove the windows xp. acer and the welcome screen. Although as far as the The Compaq logo can sometimes be turned off in the BIOS by entering System Setup when starting up your computer. You would typically see a message on the Compaq screen telling you to press the 'Del' key (or the 'F2' or some other key) to enter System Setup.

In the System Setup (and there are many different versions) you can look for an option to disable the Compaq Logo, and also look for an option to enable a Quick Boot, I went into it but did not understand anything

Frog

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks aford10! That may help.

Frog,

Just be real careful not to change any settings that do not pertain to the logo. It is possible that such a setting is not even available in your BIOS. Sounds like we pared down most of the screen at least. Check out aford10's examples and compare to your settings.

Cheers!

Nasawife3

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

I have the common.packardbell.com, but on the boot screen there is not quick boot to enable, but i was able to disabled the windows xp and welcome screen. I can live with the compaq logo. I went into the boot.ini earlier and repaired it. I checked it again just now and all is working fine. I am glad that the computer is running fast. I also took a lot of the icons of the main screen that I do not use that often and from the startup bar at the bottom.

Thank you both very much I can now a happy women.

Frog.