CPU is over running DD:

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Well, I finally got it sorted out, i posted the wrong message xD.

The one i am getting is "Warning! CPU is over running! Please check frequency settings"

this causes the bios to erase and I have to reset them before it loads again. It was not really that big of a deal before, since it only happened once or twice a month, but in the past three days I have gotten this over 5 times :X

wth is causing it? I am not over clocking, and there is plenty of ventilation (normal running temp is 38C).

specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 "Prescott" EE 3.4 Ghz 800 FSB/2mb l2 cache w/ HT
OCZ platinum edition pc 3200 ram (4 x 1 gb)
FIC P4875 Max Motherboard
Stock heatsync w/ AS5
600W Apevia Beastpower PS
Radeon X1650 agp pro gfx gard
Sound Blaster X-fi card

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm thinking CMOS battery is dying, because it started out light right? Now it does it more. When it the battery starts to die, then maybe it loses your settings in that battery, and thinks that the bios needs to be reset to safe settings where things are not optimized for your setup because it thinks that the chip is running out of spec. If this is making sense.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
My friend with his P4 gets a "CPU over temperature" warning, although he hasn't OCed and has great ventilation. Seems to me that it's a P4 issue.

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
so this would also cause the computer to crash? o_O then again, this is an old board (new to me and never used but its like 3 years old xD) so is there anything special about this battery or can i find it in like a walmart or frys electronics?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'd say probably like frys, though I've never been to one, or a pc repair shop. Could look in walmart. I've actually never had to buy one to tell you the truth, lol. But if I know my stuff like I think I do, that battery is supposed to save your bios settings. Sounds like what is happening is that it starts getting weak, loses your settings and then you have to reset your bios to make it all work right, after that, you have no issues until reboot right?

I think that's where it is man. I'd say try electronics store or PC repair shop.

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
actually no, i have no problems till it crashes with that error message again xD.

i hardly ever restart my comps, much less shut them down.

tlmck

Distinguished
I have got them before at Fry's and at drug stores like Walgreens. Never had much luck at Walmart. Just pull the one you have and take it with you. You may not find the exact number, but the package should say "compatible with". Most are CR2032.

Geowil

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
alright replaced the battery, so lets see what happens.

i hope it fixes it if not .... DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

so, in the event that it still happens what else might be causing it?

tlmck

Distinguished
If it is not the battery, I would suspect a flaky MB. I have heard of FIC, but that is about all.

Apevia PSU's are also not known for quality, but given the wattage, and the fact that it is not being taxed all that much, I would have to discount it.

Even still, flaky voltages can cause all sorts of weird errors. You could go into BIOS and check to see what the voltages are. Should be within 5%.
e.g. - (12v = 11.4 to 12.6), (5v = 4.75 to 5.25), (3.3v = 3.14 to 3.47).

Worst case, I would say you get a new MB and/or PSU for about $50 ea.

G

as a tech myself I would say put your settings on auto and also check cpu heat paste.If you're using arctic silver heat paste will do funny things to your computer and will also void you processor warranty both with amd and intel. use the manufactures approved heat paste also incorrect memory timings will create issues. Now try that!