Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Forgive me...Monitor forums aren't nearly as active...

Last response: in CPUs
November 27, 2007 2:54:26 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the one I'm looking at. I know 1080p will go perfectly with my PS3 for gaming and Blu Ray movies, however, this will mainly be used for PC gaming purposes with an 8800GT. Not sure if it will matter, but it will be paired with a Dell 1905 FP.

Main questions:

How will this monitor look out of native resolution if I need to lower it a bit to play some games smoothly (Crysis)?

Is 8ms response time going to be terribly noticeable?

Finally, looking over the specs, is there anything that would entice or push you away from this particular model?

Thanks for your responses in advance. This is a non-refundable item and I do not want to be stuck with it if I am disappointed.

a b à CPUs
November 27, 2007 3:08:41 AM

link not working
November 27, 2007 3:12:40 AM

Woops, copy/pasted from other forum. Link fixed.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 27, 2007 3:31:49 AM

8ms might be a little too high if you're going to use it for intense FPS games. Generally 5ms is where you'll be looking at.
November 27, 2007 4:12:15 AM

OK, so assuming it would be a bad experience... I see the Samsung 226BW and think it would be a great second choice. Only 22" but apparently, if you get lucky, you get one hell of a monitor. There seems to be an issue with Samsung using sub-contracted manufacturing in addition to what they pump out. The only difference being the quality of the panel you happen to end up with. S or A.

Is that gamble worth the risk? Or is there a more surefire solution for a sexy 22"+ gaming monitor. Think $600 or less. I'm stumped. Looking at the other choices, I see that most 22" suffer from using shoddy LCD panels. Some are better than others, but I have a picky eye, and I'll spot the small annoying things that most people could probably dismiss.
November 27, 2007 4:39:06 AM

19x12 is BIG rez.
U wouldnt play Crysis at decent settings with anything other than a GTX.
DONT USE any lcd in anything BUT the native rez. Its like turning the gfx settings down a notch without a performance boost.
November 27, 2007 4:49:08 AM

That's what I've been hearing, and the reason I posted. So 22" is the sweet spot for now it seems @ 1680x12xx.

Is the Samsung worth the gamble? Is there an easy way to tell which panel is installed by retail box markings?
November 27, 2007 4:54:07 AM

I don't think you can tell which panel is installed by which sub-manufacturer....

But from what I've heard, 226BW is a very decent monitor...

I just got mine from Amazon for 250USD... :p 

On a side note though, I am not sure if you can hook 226BW up with PS3...given PS3 outputs HDMI..
November 27, 2007 5:08:19 AM

Yea, I was just going to take advantage of the 1080p signal for Blu Ray movies mostly. I can put the PS3 on my HDTV at only 1080i, but should still look fantastic.
November 27, 2007 5:12:51 AM

If you're looking at a monitor mostly for FPS, 20" should be better. Larger screen means more resolution, and it isn't really a good thing when you have to lower the resolution to play.

But hey, 226BW is only 250USD at Amazon (deal expires 11/30), while 206BW (20") is 230USD. Your choice :p 
a b C Monitor
November 27, 2007 5:34:31 AM

I've never been a huge fan of Viewsonic, they tend to have more broken pixels than better brands.

Given all your requirements I'd go with a BenQ FP241W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It supports 1080p, and it has a lot of connectors.

For Crysis I simply ran my 26" Planar in 1680 x 1050 mode with a black border. It was still larger than a 22" monitor. Most monitors smaller than 24" are TN which while they have less lag they only display 1/4 the colors of MVA or IPS. Also these days lag is not so tied to the response time of the crystals.
November 27, 2007 1:33:28 PM

I think I've settled on the 226BW. In fact, I may buy 2 of them (same price as I expected to pay for the Viewsonic) and increase my chances of getting an S panel. If I happen to get 2 S panels, then yippee, dual 22" monitor time. If I get one of each, the A panel will be destined for Ebay or thru here at a discounted price.
November 27, 2007 3:44:14 PM

What's the difference between A panel and S panel?
November 27, 2007 4:02:14 PM

The S panel is manufactured by Samsung and seems to provide the best picture quality of the available "sub-models".

The A panel is manufactured by one of their contracts and, judging by the reviews on Newegg, is just terrible.

Just noticed that there is also a "C" panel floating around now as well, which also seems to suck. So, ordering online, you now have a 1 in 3 chance of getting your money's worth.

I called Samsung, and their CSR said that she was aware of the differences, and it was just basically luck of the draw. She said she wouldn't suggest purchasing this monitor online. Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee an S panel would be to go to Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy etc, and have the manager open the monitor boxes until you find the sticker which shows the S panel installed. I have a feeling that most retail managers are going to be way too uptight to go through all that just to make a $300 sale.
November 27, 2007 4:12:14 PM

An 8800GT will not do Crysis smoothly at 1920x1080 native LCD.

Even Dual overclocked 8800GTX's struggle at some points at 1920x1080. I know this for a fact.
November 27, 2007 4:13:26 PM

That's already been established. That wasn't even one of my questions tho. Thanks for your input :) 
a b C Monitor
November 27, 2007 4:45:06 PM

Thanatos421 said:
I think I've settled on the 226BW. In fact, I may buy 2 of them (same price as I expected to pay for the Viewsonic) and increase my chances of getting an S panel. If I happen to get 2 S panels, then yippee, dual 22" monitor time. If I get one of each, the A panel will be destined for Ebay or thru here at a discounted price.

The lottery is a tax on people that can't do math. Best of luck to you!
November 27, 2007 5:00:34 PM

HAHA, I called Circuit City to see if they would let me look through their stock to find the S panel and the sales mgr said "Sure, if for every one you don't buy after you open it, you pay the 15% restocking fee"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....good one you poor pitiful retail manager.
December 16, 2007 7:20:37 AM

LOL Just buy them and take them back the next day. I would do that in spite, seems like a rude person.
December 16, 2007 8:50:29 AM

that screen looks like garbage.
December 16, 2007 9:12:03 AM

Pills Time..

Ryan Adds
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 195 C Monitor
December 16, 2007 6:50:41 PM

Thanatos421 said:
HAHA, I called Circuit City to see if they would let me look through their stock to find the S panel and the sales mgr said "Sure, if for every one you don't buy after you open it, you pay the 15% restocking fee"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....good one you poor pitiful retail manager.

Meh,

I would agree with the manager. Seriously, do you expect the manager to simply roll out their entire in-store stock of Samsung 226W's just so that you can open up each one of them to look for the "S-Panel"? Then take the time to re-seal them, and put them back in storage? That's wastes too much time and money 'cause you're wasting his time and other workers when could be selling to other less demanding and more reasonable customers.

On top, Samsung no longer has a sticker on the back of the monitor that identifies the panel and you can no longer identify it in the OSD. You are about 5 months too late for that.

Come on kid, get real.
December 17, 2007 2:22:40 AM

This is kind of a cheap shot at Circuit City, but if its like where I live they have nothing better to do, and no other customers lol. It is unreasonable though, but a response like that would surely set me off.

December 17, 2007 12:54:17 PM

Kid? I hate to tell you Jaguar, but I'm probably much older than you, and I believe I have every right to be "demanding" when I'm spending close to $300 for something that might not even be worth $50. I'm sorry if you are a retail manager and I offended you, but hey, your choice of career path bud.

I went to Best Buy and they let me open one, set it up and test it before I left the store. Not so unreasonable, if they want to make a sale. I got the 226CW instead of the BW and so far it's a great monitor.
December 17, 2007 1:58:32 PM

Thanatos421 said:
Kid? I hate to tell you Jaguar, but I'm probably much older than you, and I believe I have every right to be "demanding" when I'm spending close to $300 for something that might not even be worth $50. I'm sorry if you are a retail manager and I offended you, but hey, your choice of career path bud.

I went to Best Buy and they let me open one, set it up and test it before I left the store. Not so unreasonable, if they want to make a sale. I got the 226CW instead of the BW and so far it's a great monitor.

How do you like the 226CW? Does it work with your PS3? Can PS3 do 1080p? The specs on best buy say this monitor is 1680x1050 good for viewing 720p. I'm new to the whole HD world. Dou you need a special cable to get HDCP protected movies to play on it?

I have an Acer AL2002W same resolution, and it plays DvDs very nicely. I'm thinking about getting a HD DVD / Blue ray combo drive. My 8500Gt is HDCP compliant but I havent seen nothing on my monitor that is. Do you have to buy a high dollar cable?

Has anyone tried ANY DVD HD to play HDCP movies on non HDCP hardware? Its supposed to work but I havent got $400 to play with if it don't work some how. Any DvD works great for allowing me to make copies of my movies via DvD or HDD.

At income tax time I plan on buying a 42" LCD from Samsung to use for my new monitor. I'm trying to have the Ultimate media center.

Sorry for getting of topic but I think some of you gurus might be able to answer my questions. Thank You!!
December 17, 2007 2:36:46 PM

Well, the Samsung doesn't support HD resolutions. I was going for the Viewsonic specifically for the HDMI input, which would have worked perfectly with PS3 at 1080p. I just have my PS3 running through my HDTV for the time being at 1080i and it still looks good.

Basically, I needed a new gaming monitor and wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone. Good gaming response, and 1080p support. I'm not sure that marriage of technologies is viable yet without spending a ton on graphics cards (ie 2 GTXs in SLI). My one 8800 GT wouldn't have been able to support the native resolution on the Viewsonic during gaming. Games would have had horrible frame rates, or I would have to crank the resolution down from native and that would look terrible.
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
April 27, 2011 7:38:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!