Help building a computer around Q6600

Hello guys and gals

I would very much appreciate your assistance on being able to build a computer around the Q6600. The computer i will be using mainly for web developing and general use.

Basically being able to use more than two programmes without the computer being slowed down, which is what i am working on at the moment, as if more than one application is open then I could got watch a full movie before it loads, lol.

I just want to be able to have a very fast computers and being able to have macromedia, photoshop, multimedia without slowness in performance of the PC.

Thank you very much in advance for reading and for assistance.
38 answers Last reply
More about help building computer q6600
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

Well, u didnt tell your budget, plz tell us how much u can pay
  2. Well no matter what kind of computer have you'll have slow performance. What's your budget
  3. About 800 british pounds.
  4. is that including monitor, mouse, keyboard etc etc or just the cpu, mobo, ram, gpu etc etc
  5. Q6600
    ASUS P5K
    8800GT
    2GB DDR2 800 RAM
    500GB HDD with 16MB Cache
  6. what is best Q6600 Oem or retail
  7. Q6600
    RETAIL = 3 year waranty, you get the stock cooler
    OEM = 1 year waranty, you don't get a cooler

Maziar's advice is good.
    Corsair 450 VX a good quality PSU
    Cooler Master 690 case with good airflow
    EDIT: fixed some typos
  8. Unless there is a huge difference in price between the retail and OEM versions, I would recommend the retail version just for the longer manufacturer warranty.
  9. Get two hard disks. On my PC that's the bottleneck - when I watch a movie from a disk and some application uses the same disk there is interference.
  10. mtyermom said:
    Unless there is a huge difference in price between the retail and OEM versions, I would recommend the retail version just for the longer manufacturer warranty.

If you get OEM you need to buy an aftermarket cooler ($20 Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, $70 Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, lots of other options in between). If you're not into overclocking get the retail and use the stock cooler.
  11. which one of the asus p5k is best.
  12. Well ASUS P5K-E WIFI is the BEST PRICE/PERFORMANCE of them , it has better cooling compared to P5K or P5K-E (no wifi ) and has the same features of P5K DELUXe (Except for 1 less gigabit lan and also 1 less copper)
  13. which is better ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 eSATA 8channel Audio ATX Motherboard or ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35 Socket 775 Socket eSATA 8 channel Audio ATX Motherboard
  14. ASUS P5K-E WIFI-AP has a better cooling compared to P5K and P5K-E (no WIFI)
  15. what memory is best ocz or crucial or kingston
  16. They are all good brands. Crucial is very popular with people who know a lot about hardware and play with overclocking. If you're not interested in that, get whatever has the best price.
  17. Is this graphics card good Sapphire RADEON® HD 2900XT, (512 MB)
  18. Yes 2900XT is a good card but i recommend 8800GT instead
  19. 800 british pounds = around $1600 US dollars

"macromedia, photoshop, multimedia" sounds like RAM intensive and if you want very fast performance, i'd take a look at a 64 bit OS that supports more than 3 gig's. DDR2 RAM at the moment is VERY cheap and I'd take advantage of that while the prices keep going down. I got my 4 gigs of PC6400 patriot ram for $130. photoshop, dreamweaver and premiere are almost instantaneous in opening.

I got the evga 680i SLI mobo...4 DIMMs with total of 8 gig's of RAM. may as well just get the 4 gig kit (2x2) so you still have 2 slots open if you want more in the future...

Also, are you doing any gaming? that would determine the type of vid card you'd get...with gaming PC's that's usually the most expensive part
  20. I wonder if the Corsair 450VX is enough to power a Q6600 and a 8800GT as well as the rest
  21. just got the q6600 and p5k come, looks lovely now need to decide on ram and graphics card.
  22. Kingston for more stability... I can attest to that though I havent tested OCZ or crucial but I have tested other RAMs and I found Kingston is more stable, most mobo companies put kingston in the list of recommended RAMs
  23. I'd wait a bit for the graphics card. The new 8800 GTS G92 512Mb is supposed to be out on Dec 11. It will be faster/cooler/quieter than the 8800GT.

The 450VX should be enough, with 33A on the 12V rail, but of course something more powerful would be more future-proof.
    This one for example has 49A and it's top quality:
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-002-PP
  24. agreed ^^^
    OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 600W is a good PSU too
  25. bump
  26. why bump?
    Aevm answered you :The 450VX should be enough, with 33A on the 12V rail, but of course something more powerful would be more future-proof.
    This one for example has 49A and it's top quality:
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817703005
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/show [...] =CA-002-PP
  27. Its cheaper but u cant say it OCs better, P35 DS3R/DS3L and P5K are very good boards, and they are very good OC'ers
  28. Thanks for the reply..sorry I didn't read the post above. I was also wondering what would be a good choice for RAM with OCing in mind crucial ballistix or some other equally good but cheaper priced offering ?
  29. can anyone tell me what is a good psu to get for q6600 and p5k mobo
  30. the Corsair 450 is a solid choice, unless your planning on further gpus etc in the future.
    Ryan
  31. OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 600W, Corsair 520 are fine for that rig
  32. ive just built it, using pov 8800 gt, 500 sata drive, 600psu, would i have to download latest bios or driver updates from asus, or just run the disk sent with it
  33. Grats on the build. I would recommend downloading the latest drivers from the respective web sites if possible.

-Wolf sends
  34. You can use the ASUS InstALL disk and it will download and install the latest drivers for all your board components from ASUS. It does take a little time and needs a few reboots, but works well. Just make sure you pull the disk out during each reboot or it tries to make you create a boot disk for RAID drivers. Just pop the disk back in once Windows starts to load and it will continue on its merry way. Nice build...have fun!
  35. Hello guys and gals, thanks for your support, but now im having some problems. I have gone for the CM690, with coolermaster psu also, got on the pov 8800gt, and 2 gig kingston.

The built is very basic at the moment but the problem with I face now, is that this new built is slower that my old retired computer, which only had 512.

If I have to programmes or any two things open then thats it, it would be quicker to walk to the internet cafe. Example of how slow it is, earlier i had sandre from Sisoftware running, had explorer opened and then i tried to open task manager which took a crazy mad almost 6 minutes to open up.

How can i speed up this new build to reflect the money i spent on it.

Thanks in advance
  36. if you were using XP before and are now using Vista that may explain part of the slowdown. Vista is about twice as system intensive as XP.

To speed things up, more RAM can't hurt and RAM is cheap. If you are using a 32 bit operating system, add 1 more GB of RAM; if you are using a 64 bit operating system, add 2 more GB of RAM. If you can add a second HDD, do that, and use the fastest HDD for the operating system, and the second HDD for everything else. There are several choices for fast HDD. I still like the 150GB Raptors. Faster still would be adding pairs of HDDs in a RAID configuration.

After that, read the sticky on overclocking. If your fastest stable OC is slow, consider a CPU cooler. Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme currently has the best numbers. You will need a 120mm fan with that - get a Scythe S-Flex. They come in D, E and F flavors, you will want the F for a CPU cooler.

You probably don't need two fans for your CPU cooler, but I just saw another thread with two fans on an Ultra-120. Fans are cheap though, and if you decide to get two, install them on opposite sides of the cooler in a push pull configuration. You can buy the mounts for the second fan, or you can make your own out of paperclips following the pattern of the clips that are included for the first fan (I've read that properly bent paperclips do a better job holding the fan than the included clips).
  37. He's got 2 GB of RAM. I agree that Vista could use more, but still, this doesn't explain 6 minutes wait to start a program. Something's messed up.

bl4ckman, can you install XP or even Windows 2000, just to see if they're working OK? It would be good to narrow it down and see if it's Vista's problem or a hardware thing.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product