Sign in with
Your question

HOW TO MAKE A GHOST IMAGE & UPLOAD IT TO A NEW MACHINE

Last response: in Windows XP
April 18, 2010 3:24:29 PM

Hello,

I AM TRYING TO COPY ALL OF MY PROGRAMS FROM ONE PC TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SO I CAN LOAD THEM ALL TO A NEW MACHINE. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO LOAD THE SOFTWARE FROM THIS COPY. I HAVE A MAXTOR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS?
April 18, 2010 8:59:50 PM

I typically use Norton Ghost to image a drive in a computer. This image can be restored to another computer by booting up off the Norton Ghost CD and restoring the image (even from an External USB Drive). One problem that you will encounter though it that the transferred Windows is most likely going to complain like crazy about finding itself on another computer, but there are ways around that when the time comes.

If you don't want to buy or do not have Norton Ghost, you can try this free product:
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/
m
l
April 19, 2010 7:02:30 PM

OP said "Programs." You can't do that just with the programs, because the installations also drop files into the Windows folder and make changes in the registry. You have to install them on the 2nd computer one by one.
m
l
April 19, 2010 9:30:01 PM

You are right graywolf. I made the assumption that the OP wanted to copy operating system and programs, which may not be the case! Who said, "Never assume anything!" <grin>
m
l
!