XP HOME- "Extended Desktop" STUCK. How can I restore to "Normal" mode?

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I've been trying over 2 to 3 weeks to solve this issue. Hopefully, THG can offer a distinct solution that works.

Problem: My Windows XP Home Edition is "Stuck" in the "Extended Desktop" mode. I have only 1 monitor (an Acer H233H). Acer offers NO support; just a run-around. I tried to find out from them if there's a problem with their drivers.

I noticed the problem recently when updating 'security' fixes, etc. from Microsoft.

Normally, I run my system in 1280x800dpi. It used to work fine that way.

By right-clicking the desktop and choosing a .jpg graphic, I could perform each of the 3 display options with no problem; (stretch, center, tile). However, now the following happens. When I choose "Center," the graphic is displayed on my monitor 'centered' in the virtual 1280x800 area. In other words, it is located toward the right side and lower right portion of my monitor's physical display area.

The real problem is when I choose to "Stretch" the same image, it stretches it to the full 1280x800 size, and (NOT TO MY PHYSICAL SCREEN SIZE)!

It did not use to work that way. It used to always center and/or stretch to fit my physical screen size, even while in 1920x1080 resolution.

HOW DO I GET IT BACK TO NORMAL?

* I've updated my ATI drivers w/CCC.
* I've updated my Acer monitor drivers to their latest offering.
* I've reverted back to older ATI drivers versions to test with, but that didn't work either.

Note: the only thing that DID WORK (more or less) was when I used a tool called "System Tweaker" (by Uniblue) and had it FORCE WINDOWS TO USE CLASSIC MODE. The display worked perfectly, but I began getting "Windows.EXE" critical errors, Memory location Errors, etc. ---- I had to stop using System Tweaker!!

I really need EXPERT help.

Sincerely,
Larry

Solution
Solution that worked for extended desktop and uncentered wallpaper:

Uninstall Internet Explorer 8 and resume using Internet Explorer 7.

Note: This solution solved the problem as posted by kreelor. Please read the full thread for several other known solutions for this problem, if this answer does not solve your similar issue.

Cheers!

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

It is unlocked, and has never been locked.

Thanks for replying!

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Dear nicolatesla. I inserted my comments into your previous post to save some typing time.

BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES
use system restore to set the hard drive back to the time before the problem started

I really hestitate in doing that. I've suffered the problem for about a month, and since then I've made other changes that I don't want to have to repeat. However, in the end, I may have to try it.

You can also run the original operating system disk in repair mode, without reformatting the drive.

I'm still hoping that somebody at THG will know for certain what has caused the problem, precisely. In my opinion, a simple Registry setting should be the ideal fix. "Something" is telling the system how to display the desktop, and how to control the sizes and proportions of desktop wallpaper images.

If I 'fixed' the problem the way you suggest, I'll never know what caused it and how to avoid getting it again.

Many have reported system problems after using microsoft update
including me. I'm not saying that this happens to everyone, but it sure messed up my XP, confirmed.
You can use "tweak IU" (microsoft power toys) from microsoft, to turn off those silly message balloons: (YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE AT RISK! AUTOMATIC UPDATES TURNED OFF! etc...etc...)

What do the message balloons have to do with my expanded desktop issue? I don't understand. I do have "tweak UI," but haven't used it in regards to my current problem. I'll take a look at its options, and hope for the best!

I now turn off automatic updates, and don't use them at all. With a good security program installed, I don't need the updates. I would rather run SP 2 or SP 3 WITHOUT any updates.
I would not recommend any "free" security programs. There have been reports of system problems after installing these types of security ware. I'm not saying that it happens to everyone, but there have been numerous instances, and the professional techs I know remove these types of security ware.

I use the "AVG Internet Security" program (paid version), therefore, I'm reasonably certain my issue has not been caused by malware. It is updated several times everyday with latest virus database, malware detection, etc.

System "cleaners"..."tweakers"....especially "free" ones in my opinion should be deleted. If you are using any type of application, it should be signed, tested for use, and approved by the OS manufacturer.

The "freebie" System Tweaker has been on my system for nearly a year, and I've never had a problem with it. Problems began after MS updates and/or ATI video driver updates. TRYING TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM EITHER ATI OR ACER (my monitor) IS IMPOSSIBLE. They rank with Microsoft, Semantec, and Yahoo as extremely poor customer/technical "support" options!

After removing "free" security, cleaners, tweakers...(sometimes these free programs won't delete)
After system restore, or system repair installation, most times the system will run normally, and the bugs will be gone.
In the last scenario, you can reformat and reinstall the OS, leaving behind any unwanted irritating applications. Just make sure your files are backed up, onto an online backup service, or a CD or DVD...or an external drive, before doing a restore or repair. :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Formatting my HDD and reinstalling the OS is an extreme measure (imho) to "fix" what I imagine is caused by something more specific. Besides, even if I did reinstall the Windows XP Home OS, I'd still have to update ALL DRIVERS, PATCHES, ETC. To me, that could merely reintroduce the problem.... not solve it.

I really appreciate the time you took and the suggestions you offered. But, as I said already, I'm still hoping that someone knows the MS System Registry enough to possibly fix the problem in a single step. Maybe someone knows which so-called "update" I got from MS or ATI has caused the problem?

Windows XP Home Edition NEVER PERFORMED LIKE THIS IN ALL THE YEARS I'VE USED IT. I want it to perform the way it's supposed to work, but without having to rebuild my computer from scratch; reinstalling all programs, updates, hardware configs, etc.

It's too bad this forum won't allow 'attaching' jpg images. The screencaptured images I have really tell the story quite well. I hope what I've been typing is understandable.

Thanks again, for your help!

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I was very excited when I read your reply. I went immediately to the path you suggested, but there are no entries named WallpaperOriginX or Y (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop). Lots of other items about desktop wallpaper, etc. but not those.

The origins of my wallpaper seem to be just one part of the issue I'm having. The other part is that "stretching" the wallpaper (image) doesn't stretch it to fill my monitor's screen. Instead, it stretches it to the dpi of the graphic itself, which often FAR EXCEEDS THE CONFINES OF MY SCREEN DISPLAY.

Should I be able to create those, without the consequence of scrambling my entire system? The System Registry is structured by MS like tangled spaghetti, to begin with!

Thank you!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Yes you can create them without worry. If you want to exercise caution, then you should open the Registry Editor and highlight My Computer in the left window-pane, and then perform a full registry backup File->Export->"give it a name" and then Save. This will allow us to put the registry back if necessary.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Thanks! I use Uniblue's "RegistryBooster." It performs an automatic backup each time it is used, before anything is written/changed in the registry. But, just in case... I'll also use MS's "System Restore" and create a new Restore Point there.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Larry,

Re-reading the thread, tesla suggests spyware and it wouldn't hurt to be sure. Spyware does mess with wallpaper sometimes, but usually in the form of changing it to look like a virus warning or BSOD and locking it from being changed. If you want to be sure, try this:

Restart your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking Support'.
(To do this: Power on your computer and start tapping the F8 key at the top of your keyboard rapidly until the Windows Start Menu appears. Then select the Safe Mode with Networking Support menu option and press the Enter key)

Open your web browser and go to www.malwarebytes.org

Download their free malwarebytes program from their main page

Install the program on your computer and run it.

Update the Malwarebytes program and do a full scan.
(You may be asked to restart. Do so, but use F8 key to return to Safe Mode)

Let us know the results of the scan and whether or not any symptoms persist and we will troubleshoot deeper.

Cheers!

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
DO NOT USE REGISTRY BOOSTER any more. That IS one of the free registry tweakers that nicolatesla was writing about, and it's by a sleazy company. You don't know enough about the registry to know if their entries are correct or which ones to keep. Uninstall it and use CCLeaner instead after we finish with this problem.

I think we might have found the source of the problem, Digit.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Well, I added the two String Values, but after rebooting system, there is no change. Image is still centered within the EXPANDED desktop area and is "scrollable" with my mouse. Its position is off-center and is located to the bottom right of my display area.

I'm using the default MS wallpaper named "Stonehenge" ("Centered") and my screen rez is at 1280x800. My Theme is "Windows Classic (modified)". It is "modified" in the sense that since I added a graphic wallpaper, it is no longer the Default Classic Theme (which apparently doesn't have a graphic wallpaper?). When the same image is "Stretched," it goes way off the screen and/or "clips" the image on the right side. I can't see the right side of the image when it's Stretched. Something is overriding default operation.

I suppose I may have to try a Restore Point back to over a month ago! Geeesh! That, I'm afraid, will open a whole new can of worms! That's why I haven't done it. I don't want to lose installed programs, changes/updates, etc. that I've made recently. I made them AFTER the problem began and during the time the problem existed. I just don't know what else to do. I've been trying for over a month to fix this one problem.

I should not be able to scroll the desktop! I am using only 1 monitor. My ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC) shows that I'm using only one monitor; it does not show that I have extended my desktop on this 1 monitor.

I certainly hope you have a brainstorm!

HERE'S A CLUE THAT MIGHT HELP: I think it's important to reiterate it (from my original post).

When I used Uniblue's "System Tweaker," it made my problem go away. I checked a box in it that forces Windows to use "Classic" mode. It worked.

The Desktop Wallpaper viewed properly in each of it's 3 modes. But, I began getting CRITICAL/FATAL/UNRECOVERABLE ERRORS from the OS. "Explorer.EXE" errors, "Memory Location XXXXXX" errors, etc. I had to reset the Uniblue "System Tweaker" back to the way it was.

Your help is appreciated very much!
Larry

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Thank you for your information.

nicolatesla said:
After removing "free" security, cleaners, tweakers...(sometimes these free programs won't delete)

I am not using a FREE version of Uniblue's Registry Booster. I paid, what I consider, a hefty price for it. The only "free" thing I mentioned was the System Tweaker utility that came with my purchase as a 'bonus'.

I fail to understand how Registry Booster (by itself) can "re-write" my registry? As far as I know, it doesn't. It cleans the registry of dead-links, missing type library fonts, etc. But, I will uninstall it and the bonus tweaker utility to see what happens after I reboot.

By the way, can you document for me (supply the URL's) to where you got the information that Uniblue was a "sleazy company"? I want to check on that. Now, you've got me worried. Heh heh.

Thanks,
Larry

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Removing entries=rewriting. Do you know enough about the registry, which you said was like spaghetti?

They own 42 companies:

WOT scorehttp://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/uniblue.com/comment-6405269#comment-6405269

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/liutilities.com

WOT is like Mcafee Site Adviser. Scores are determined by complaints from users.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E1681447939SF

CCleaner does some of the same things safely and for free, and all my colleagues use it, install it in clients' computers, and recommend it at every forum.

RevoUninstaller will remove leftover installation files and registry entries from an uninstall..

There's also an extensive conversation at AUMHA among IT people about the uselessness and/or damage done by registry cleaners. I can't find it right now.

I DON"T agree with Nicolatesla that ANY free program is bad, but we do agree that reg cleaners can cause problems if you're not really versed in the registry. You fixed one problem and caused several others.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I find it interesting that the tweaker fixed the problem (even if it created another), that is why I held out hope for the registry entries to work. Stupid question, but I have to ask, did you restart your computer yet after making the registry changes?

Regarding System Restore, you could rollback your registry to before this happened just to see if the issue goes away (thus identifying the problem as registry entries), and then restore it again back to todays date (just make sure to create a restore point for today before you rollback). That way you can test the registry idea, and not lose your current changes.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I appreciate you providing several links. I spent quite some time reading page-after-page of comments. After having done that, one theme became apparent to me. Many of the negative comments came from, what appears to be, illiterates. Their primary complaints involve their feelings of being "ripped-off" by Uniblue because they could not read and understand simple english. Most of those people mistakenly thought that the FULL PROGRAM was free, merely because Uniblue offered a FREE SCAN (as an example as to what the FULL PROGRAM would fix). They wanted everything for free.

That's like trying a pair of new shoes on to see if they fit, then expecting to get the shoes without cost!

You said: "WOT is like Mcafee Site Adviser. Scores are determined by complaints from users." Maybe that's the reason the scores were low? Most people who are happy with a product won't take the time to say how happy they are with the product. No complaints. Makes sense to me.

You also said: "Do you know enough about the registry, which you said was like spaghetti?" No. I don't know that much about it. But, neither does anyone else, including Microsoft. If they did, it wouldn't be such a mess to the point that 5,000 companies and Tech Support people around the world are trying to clean up the mess that Microsoft "doesn't prevent" in the first place. Microsoft's own "RegClean" program could have, or should have been expanded and updated to protect and/or clean the registry (automatically). That's my opinion. Heh heh.

Anyway, I went ahead and uninstalled both UniBlue products from my computer. Rebooted, and the desktop issue still remains. That's isn't to say that the Registry Booster program and/or its System Tweaker programs didn't cause problems, but I doubt if either one did. I have used both of them every day for the last year, and never had one problem. I believe the extended-desktop display issue I'm having is caused by something else.

I'm nearly brain-dead after a month of struggling. Tom's Hardware Guide has so many intelligent, experienced, helpful people, that I came here after trying everything I could on my own.

You are one of them. I'm glad you are here! Thank you for helping me.
Larry

P.S. -- nicolatesla was very correct when he said: "After removing "free" security, cleaners, tweakers...(sometimes these free programs won't delete)."

I cannot remove System Tweaker from my Registry! When I merely click on it, Microsoft msg tells me that it can't be removed!! THAT IS CRIMINAL!!!

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

-- Yes, I did restart. I even did a "cold boot" thinking that since the monitor is a hardware item, it may make a difference. Nope. It didn't.

-- I'm afraid that I have to agree that attempting a System Restore may be the next logical choice. Frankly, I'm frightened about what new problems restoring may cause me. In all my years on computers, I've only used System Restore twice. And, that was a long time ago. I vaguely remember that it "confused" my system more than it helped it. From what I recall, System Restore does NOT restore everything as it was at the time the Restore Point was created.

I'm so glad that you are here to help people like me, too! Everyone's been nice to me, with good suggestions. It's nice to know that others have ideas that I never thought of. There's just too much to know to use MS's products!

Thanks again,
Larry

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I cannot remove System Tweaker from my Registry! When I merely click on it, Microsoft msg tells me that it can't be removed!! THAT IS CRIMINAL!!!

[:graywolf:5] Use RevoUninstaller. If you already removed it partially, reinstall it, then use RevoUninstaller

You'll find that half the country has become illiterate from using email and texting. :cry:

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I have removed Registry Booster (the main program), therefore I'd have to reinstall it again, too. At least, I think so. First, I'll go to UniBlue's web site and see if I can download and install just the Tweaker utility. Maybe I have it zipped-up in my "Downloads" subdirectory? I'll look there first.

Too late for me to do more tonight, but by tomorrow sometime, I'll get back to you with a reply.

Thanks for telling me about RevoUninstaller! I wish Microsoft would BAN COMPANIES FROM LOCKING USERS OUT OF THEIR OWN SYSTEMS! Pisses me off, royally!

Thanks, graywolf.
Larry

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
System Restore can sometimes 'confuse' your computer because it sets the registry back to a point in time that may be previous to not only registry changes, but also program file changes and updates that require the new registry entries to support them. In our case here, we want to try to so that we can determine if your problem is caused solely by registry changes or perhaps by an active program.