You got any IDEs (Get it?)

apache24uk

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Hi,

For a new build I'm going to buy a C2D E6550 or a E6750 but can't decide on a mobo, but I want it to be an Asus one though. I'll be running two old IDE HDDs on them and I'll be using my old IDE DVDs drives through a PCI IDE controller card as most new mobo's only have one IDE socket.

So far I was thinking of either a Asus P5N E SLI 650i, a P5B or a P5K mobo (no need for wifi). What do you think? How reliable are they?
Do you think they will work well with the C2D's above?

I have a budget of about £150 - £180 (less spent the better, lol), I will mostly be using the computer for office work, web, Photoshop, movie editing and the odd game like COD2.

Any help or advice that is offered will be welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
a Asus p5k will do you fine at a great price. ^_^

No point getting an SLI mobo if you don't plan to do so, the nvidia intel chipsets are known to be heaty buggers. stick with a p35, x38 doesn't justify the price considering all boards will lose upgradability at the end of 2008's Nehalem release. So try not to spend too much.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
You can't get better than Asus mate - good choice. However you might be able to run all of your IDE devices from the onboard controllers if you can find a board with a RAID controller - then you can run the CD-ROMs on the normal IDE channel and then run the 2 HDs in JBOD mode on the RAID controller. You might find it difficult to find onboard RAID for IDE now but would save you having to add another card to your system.

By the way, from a system builders point of view, the P5KC is great - it comes with little jumper blocks for the power switch cables etc... and looks the business.