Recommendations for setting up a new HP PC compputer?

Suggestions or recommendations wanted for setting up a new HP PC with
Windows XP Home....

What is best order for setting up the computer?

What not to do?

Should I download all the updates from Microsoft first?

Then what?

Some kind of backup?

Must have utilities/applications?

Thanks.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

Turn on a firewall.

Install antivirus software.

Internet Storm Center: "If you know of someone who is about to receive a
new computer, or if you have received one yourself, please, please read our
new Windows XP survival guide, 'Windows XP: Surviving the First Day. (PDF)'"
http://isc.sans.org/presentations/xpsurvivalguide.pdf

[[Since its release, a number of severe security vulnerabilities have
been discovered in Windows XP. These vulnerabilities are used by
worms and viruses, making it impossible to connect an unsecured,
unpatched system to the Internet for any amount of time without
risking exposure and infection. Users of new computers are faced
with the dilemma of being infected by these worms before being able
to download the necessary patches.

This guide will show how to install Windows XP securely, without
being infected by these worms during the patching process.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:nobody-AC5D43.11375817072005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> hunted and pecked:

In news:nobody-2BECA1.11563317072005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> hunted and pecked:
> Suggestions or recommendations wanted for setting up a new HP PC with
> Windows XP Home....
>
> What is best order for setting up the computer?
>
> What not to do?
>
> Should I download all the updates from Microsoft first?
>
> Then what?
>
> Some kind of backup?
>
> Must have utilities/applications?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis Kessler
> http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

Keep in mind that installations (Windows as well as program) heavilty
fragment the hard drive. I install Windows, enable the firewall, do all
Windows updates, install my defragger (if using a third party program like
Diskeeper), then defrag. The first few programs I install next are an
antivirus program, one to three antispyware programs, and Office. Then I
defrag again. If you are installing Norton antivirus, do so as early as
practical to minimize glitches by the Norton installer.

"dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
> Suggestions or recommendations wanted for setting up a new HP PC with
> Windows XP Home....
>
> What is best order for setting up the computer?
>
> What not to do?
>
> Should I download all the updates from Microsoft first?
>
> Then what?
>
> Some kind of backup?
>
> Must have utilities/applications?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis Kessler
> http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

Good point!

I assume there is defrag software included in Windows XP Home. Will this
do the trick?

-Dennis

In article <OUOrQdwiFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

> Turn on a firewall.
>
> Install antivirus software.
>
> Internet Storm Center: "If you know of someone who is about to receive a
> new computer, or if you have received one yourself, please, please read our
> new Windows XP survival guide, 'Windows XP: Surviving the First Day. (PDF)'"
> http://isc.sans.org/presentations/xpsurvivalguide.pdf

Thank you. Should be 'require reading'

Thanks again.

-Dennis

> [[Since its release, a number of severe security vulnerabilities have
> been discovered in Windows XP. These vulnerabilities are used by
> worms and viruses, making it impossible to connect an unsecured,
> unpatched system to the Internet for any amount of time without
> risking exposure and infection. Users of new computers are faced
> with the dilemma of being infected by these worms before being able
> to download the necessary patches.
>
> This guide will show how to install Windows XP securely, without
> being infected by these worms during the patching process.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:nobody-AC5D43.11375817072005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
> dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Suggestions wanted for setting up a new HP PC with Windows XP Home....
> >
> > What is best order for setting up the computer?
> >
> > What not to do?
> >
> > Should I download all the updates from Microsoft first?
> >
> > Then what?
> >
> > Some kind of backup?
> >
> > Must have utilities/applications?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Dennis
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Kessler
> > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:nobody-2BECA1.11563317072005@corp-radius.supernews.com,
> dk_ <nobody@spamless.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Suggestions or recommendations wanted for setting up a new HP PC with
> > Windows XP Home....
> >
> > What is best order for setting up the computer?
> >
> > What not to do?
> >
> > Should I download all the updates from Microsoft first?
> >
> > Then what?
> >
> > Some kind of backup?
> >
> > Must have utilities/applications?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Dennis
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Kessler
> > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

In my opinion, Windows XP: Surviving the First Day should go out in printed
form with all new computers. It should also be bundled with any Windows XP
software.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes