Windows wont start-activation

jamie_20

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I reinstalled Windows XP and activated windows with my product key, althought it still kept counting down anyways.

So nows its past the 30 days, and when the computer gets to the welcome screen a message pops up saying..
"this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate windows now"

if you press yes, then a new screen displays " Windows is already activated. Click ok to exit."
and then it goes right back to the welcome screen again.

i know i could just wipe out & reinstall windows but i would rather not since i uploaded all the pics from my camera on the computer and i dont want to lose them.

what do i do ?

I think the only answer is to deactivate first and force a new activation, then go for the telephone option and explain the situation.

Go Start>Run type in regedit and hit Enter. From the File menu, select Export and note down the name of the file you give the backup and its location. Now you're backed up, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft?WindowsNT>Current Version>WPAEvents. Right click the OOBETimer and click on Modify. Wreck a couple of the digits in the Value Data - just enough to fool the system into thinking it needs activating. Close the registry from the File>Exit menu and restart the computer. Hopefully, your thirty days will restrat but go for activation immediately - it can change its mind and shut down after three days.