eylee86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Hi i'm about to build a new computer and I picked up a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. I have never dealt with SATA before and my question is, can i boot/install OS onto the drive with SATA cable right away? If there's specific steps to take what do i have to do? sorry for my noobness.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
You may have to set SATA mode in your bios to IDE, or similar. Basically it will make your SATA drive appear as an IDE device, which negates the need for drivers.

blerb

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well if the OP is installing Vista, go ahead and leave it at AHCI. You will be able to use some of the enhancing features that come with AHCI mode.

For XP, set the SATA mode in the bios to IDE. For Vista, set it to AHCI - that will enable the full set of features in SATA, and it will be faster. You can use AHCI in XP too, but if you enable it for the installation, you will need to install chipset drivers in the installation process.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
AHCI isn't noticeably faster than IDE, if any, depending on the drive. Also the extended feature set that you guys speak of is RAID, NCQ and hot swap. NCQ is optimized for server applications, it's actually slower in a desktop machine. Hot swap is primarily for servers as well. That leaves the only reason to go AHCI being RAID. So, if he doesn't want RAID, then there is no benefit to AHCI.

eylee86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
thanks for the reply guys! yeah i'll be installing vista so but either way it seems i don't have to update any drivers before physically connecting sata cable to use the HDD! :)