Abit ix38 quadgt combo... good deal?

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Once again window shopping on Newegg has got me all confused! I'm planning a new build for myself around christams time, I thought I had it all figured out!

Was planning on the Abit ip35 pro, Q6600, 2x2GB mushkin mem kit (5-4-4-12, 1.8V). I chose a p35 chipset over x38 because of price, selection and the fact that some of the p35 boards are really nice. However, I found the Abit ix38 quadgt with 2x2GB adata ram (5-5-5-18, 1.8V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188) combo deal for $300... What i would be paying for my original plan is something like $270 after rebate.

I have done some quick style research on the quadgt but the couple reviews weren't overly positive, but getting an x38 board WOULD be nice for the for a future penryn upgrade (better overclock room for penryn), plus x38 does have some other nice features. Also I am skeptical of the ram a little bit though it does seem pretty nice and has a low voltage (i like the idea of 2x2GB cuz I'm not a total speedfreak but I want some nice timings).

It might help to know that it will mainly be a school computer but will definitely see some time gaming so the performance will only be for weekend gaming. I'd like to get 3.4ghz outta the q6600 and run synchronous (maybe asychronous if I can get a little extra speed outta the 2x2 memory)... I guess I'm saying that I don't need all the power in the world so is it worth an extra $30 bones to get the questionable(?) quadgt for the x38 and better future proofing with that ram?

What's your opinion? It seems like a good deal... maybe the quadgt bios are just immature... maybe the memory is great too... What do you guys think of the two setups, which would you go with?

Thanks for your help, everyone! I really really appreciate it!

Don't know about Abit the motherboard. I recommend you get a P35-DS3x for now. the P35 will support the Penryns (but not native FSB1600) through a BIOS update. As for the RAM I would personally stick with a known manufacture such as Corsair, Kingston, etc.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
i dunno about that ram..(Im running that motherboard now)

I have my Q6600 G0@ 3.0ghz on stock voltage with running the ram at 804 so i think its like 1:1.20 settings running at 4-4-4-12 (prob just need to up my voltage on the DDR2 ram some more to get it to 1000 since it is Micron 9)
I have 4gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 PC2-6400.

The board itself is a nice setup but for the stuff it comes with is kinda slim.. and the BIOS are still in its infancy, normally with almost all Abit products it takes a while for its mature bios to come out then they normally shine.

As for hitting 3.4Ghz with proper cooling and maybe a voltage jump you should be able to easily...i'm fine running it at 3.0ghz with a Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme problem is Everest (which has the same temps as Core Temp with me at least) shows my Core 1 and 2 hitting 60-62C; Core 3 and 4 are 56-58C on a Prime 95 load :| since this is my 1st Quad Core and the Tjunction inst till 100C im not sure if that 100% ok epically since for some reason it reads my regular CPU (not cores) at like 36-40C o_O...so i don;t know if it needs to be reseated or its just the cores can run hotter... :| i was gonna make a post but meh :p ill just hijack this.

But anyways im free from finals tomorrow so ill probably do some better overclocking i wouldn't mind a 1.0ghz O/C either my friend :3 ill post in this thread later

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Might be leaning towards the quadgt combo deal. If the Adata memory is total junk I can upgrade down the road when DDR2 prices are even lower and still have a board that's better than the IP35 Pro (if the BIOS mature well!). x38 makes sense to me... IF it's cheap enough! But who knows, the IP35 Pro is a great motherboard and I could pick and choose my memory... decisions...

fatfunkey: The Tjunction should be fine if i remember correctly. The cores do run hotter than the CPU. The cores will always vary a bit in temp, so i wouldn't worry about that. I would check out the guide for CPU temps in the OCing forum here at Toms. I've got a zalman 9700 nt all lined up and ready to go so I'm not to worried about reaching 3.4 on either board.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
yea i was just saying, my last rig was a P4 2.4Ghz Northwood were 60C was Bad no no..mind you that was Temp of the CPU not the core in a sence since no sensor hadn't been implemented..

Now most people with O/C there cores hit 65C-70C and its not that big of a problem..to some at least..