enabling AHCI after xp x64 install

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I installed windows xp pro x64 in native IDE mode.
I have a Samsung 1TB SATA drive. my mobo is a Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H w/ AMD SB700
I really want to get AHCI enabled without re-format. plus, I dont have a floppy

Can some please tell me how to do this??

thanks so much

my system
AMD 64 X2 6000+ @ 3.2Ghz
AC 64 Freezer Pro HSF
Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H GPU @ 900Mhz
4GB Geil DDR2 1066
Samsung 32MB Cache 7200rpm 1TB SATA HDD

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
so, I have ghost an image of the os and programs onto another drive?
isnt there a reg fix and file to be copied?
thanks
I dont have another hdd at this point in time...

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
What I did was copy the f6 sata drivers on to a floppy and unpack them on the floppy then copy it to a folder on the desktop. Then I went to the device manager,click on the ide drive and click update drivers.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
the problem is the driver has to be installed just like your doing a raid driver and used for booting, now if you want to completely do it all over again.

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
What I did was copy the f6 sata drivers on to a floppy and unpack them on the floppy then copy it to a folder on the desktop. Then I went to the device manager,click on the ide drive and click update drivers.

Now go to Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you should see something like : Intel Intel ICH9R Serial ATA Storage Controller.
Right-Click on that and select Update Driver
Say no to connecting to Windows Update to search, hit Next
Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), hit Next
Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install", hit Next
Select Have Disk
Browse to the Driver folder and highlight the iastor.inf file, hit Open Select OK
Now you should have a list of controllers ICH9R /AHCI driver
You'll get warned that installing the device driver is not recommended, click Yes to continue installing
Click Finish
Click Yes to restart your computer
when system boots press delete go into bios select , go into peripherals SATA Raid / AHCI mode set to : AHCI
SATA port 0-3 native mode set to Enable
After you log into Windows, your computer will find the "new" hardware. Wait until you get the popup message to restart your computer, say Yes to restart one last time

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Also make sure your sata drive is not pin for sata 1.5 on the back of the drive. check out the specs on the drive, not sure if Samsung has it this way but my seagate drive has it.

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
It will not open from the floppy, it tells me that the image file is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine. It needs to ran in Win setup. is there a way I can unpack the exe so I can extract the needed x64 inf from it??

I also tried downloading the Chipset / VGA / SATA RAID and extracting the ahcix64.inf and doing it that way, but it tells me there is no driver for the windows x64 editon...
please help!

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Run the file from the folder you downloaded it to in windows it should ask you to insert a floppy in the floppy disk to make the f6 sata floppy. Then after the floppy is made copy it back to a folder on your decktop.

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Thats what I tried, it will not do it. Thats when it tells me that the file is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine.

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
its so stupid, it tells me "the specified location does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the location contains a driver make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems."
thats with the ahcix64.inf IN THE X64 FOLDER!!
Microsoft is so dump sometimes.

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I also just made the sata raid floppy and did a repair install of windows x64 pro and it took the x64 sata driver fine during the f6 install. after windows loaded, went to bios to change to ahci from native ide... same thing, a quick bsod then a restart.
what am I doing wrong.

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Go into the bios and and set to load fail safe defaults and reboot back to the bios. Check the setting in the Integrated Peripherals tab. Make sure you remove all hardware from pc before doing this like printers,scanners and such. See if you can boot to windows. If you can check the device manager for hardware setup. If still having problem try clearing the cmos buy using Clearing CMOS Jumper or pull the cmos battery for a minute. If all fails I would reload Windows from scratch. Make sure you have the hard drive connected to the sata 0 connector on the board and the DVD drive on the sata 1 connector note sata 4 is for esata. check the manual on page 47.

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Accessing the Recovery Console with a Windows CD
If you have a full Windows disk, the console can be accessed by booting from the Windows XP CD. It will take its time loading the setup but eventually you will see the “Welcome to Setup” screen. Enter the letter “r” and a prompt will appear asking for the administrator password. Users of the Home edition or those without an administrator password can just enter a blank. (Note that this password is not necessarily the same as the one for a user account, even if that account has administrator privileges). The screen will then show a numbered list of all your Windows installations (most people will have only one.) It will ask, "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?" Unless you have a multi-boot system, enter the number "1". You must enter a number. Do NOT just press the Enter key. Some time may pass but eventually the Recovery Console will load and provide a command prompt where various system tasks can be performed.

This is the command to use at the command prompt

chkdsk C: /r

DooSPX

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
thanks for all the help. I decided I didnt want to mess with it, and after about 5 hours of research, I found that AHCI on a single drive is not worth it in speed and access times, especially like a drive like my 32mb cache samsung