Sign in with
Your question

Uh, how do I find comparisons of AGP cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2007 12:55:15 PM

There was this great chart a while ago:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/i...

But now, there's just all these "best for the money", and VGA comparison charts that don't even list if they're agp or not.

Is there no more resource on here to compare AGP cards by benchmarks? I want to go to the highest AGP card I can afford, but the "best for the money" becomes dated far to quickly. What I need is a straight up benchmark comparison of AGP cards like the 2005 chart.
November 27, 2007 1:04:11 PM

By the way, I have a Geforce 6800 OC right now (pre-overclocked they say) from BFG. I used rivatuner to open up the vertex and pixel shaders that were turned off so it's going pretty well. What I'm trying to figure out is where I can go from here that would be more powerful.

Price isn't TOO important because if the more powerful cards cost too much, they'll eventually come down and I'll at least know what to look for.

I'm just trying to plan my next upgrade.
a c 1363 U Graphics card
November 27, 2007 1:33:32 PM

So your card is about as good as GS/GT except for memory. You would get a substancial increase with X1950Pro/GT for more money you can find gf7950gt or X1900XT in agp flavor.
The scores are pretty much the same on agp and pciexpress cards so compairing benches is easy.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2007 2:23:26 PM

The reason you don't see alot of benchmarks for AGP anymore is stated at the end of every THG's "Best GPU For The Money" articles. This excerpt is from November's:

Quote:
At $235, it is a bit of a tough pill to swallow for a dying interface. I would only recommend the X1950 XT AGP to someone with a very fast AGP system who already has a power supply with enough juice to handle the X1950 XT.

It must be noted that if you have $235 to spend on an AGP card - and possibly an extra $100 for a power supply that can handle it - you may be much better off purchasing a PCI Express motherboard, CPU and PCIe graphics card.

PCIe graphics cards are cheaper than their AGP cousins. If you upgrade your system to PCIe and sell your old components, you may actually spend a similar amount of money compared to buying an expensive AGP card alone.
November 27, 2007 2:49:03 PM

runswindows95 said:
The reason you don't see alot of benchmarks for AGP anymore is stated at the end of every THG's "Best GPU For The Money" articles. This excerpt is from November's:

Quote:
At $235, it is a bit of a tough pill to swallow for a dying interface. I would only recommend the X1950 XT AGP to someone with a very fast AGP system who already has a power supply with enough juice to handle the X1950 XT.

It must be noted that if you have $235 to spend on an AGP card - and possibly an extra $100 for a power supply that can handle it - you may be much better off purchasing a PCI Express motherboard, CPU and PCIe graphics card.

PCIe graphics cards are cheaper than their AGP cousins. If you upgrade your system to PCIe and sell your old components, you may actually spend a similar amount of money compared to buying an expensive AGP card alone.

Right but this doesn't help. They're are making a decision for me based on price (which changes). I need a listing of benchmarks so that I can guage how good different cards are. For example, they may list a "best card for under 100" when I might be able to find the $150 card for under a hundred from a friend or work buddy. I can't compare their cards any more because the price isn't in line with the reviews!
November 27, 2007 2:51:28 PM

rolli59 said:
So your card is about as good as GS/GT except for memory. You would get a substancial increase with X1950Pro/GT for more money you can find gf7950gt or X1900XT in agp flavor.
The scores are pretty much the same on agp and pciexpress cards so compairing benches is easy.

Thanks! That's pretty good information :) 
a c 140 U Graphics card
November 27, 2007 3:23:07 PM

Try using GPU Review.

-Wolf sends
November 27, 2007 3:23:31 PM

This site is a pretty good resource.

If you look up a specific card they usually have links for reviews and benchmarks.

http://www.gpureview.com/
November 27, 2007 5:45:10 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Try using GPU Review.

-Wolf sends

Wow. Nice resource! Thanks!
!