Memory usage in Xp pro 64bit

Hello,
I windows XP pro 64bit with 6 gigs of DDR2 Memory when I run a memory intensive app it only uses 1.9 gigs during the whole process
can I set windows to use the whole 6 gigs
10 answers Last reply
More about memory usage 64bit
  1. Hello,
    I windows XP pro 64bit with 6 gigs of DDR2 Memory when I run a memory intensive app it only uses 1.9 gigs during the whole process
  2. Hello,
  3. My thought is the answer is no. Not knowing what your 'memory intensive app' is I will assume it is likely a 32-bit app. Microsoft states that "a single standard process on a 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to a total of 2,093,056 kilobytes (2GB minus one 4KB page), so my guess is that your app has been programmed with that limitation in mind and therefore doesn't 'except' that there is more RAM in your system.

This is just my impression though. If we have a programmer in the forum, they may be able to verify or refute my idea.

Cheers!
  4. My thought is the answer is no. Not knowing what your 'memory intensive app' is I will assume it is likely a 32-bit app. Microsoft states that "a single standard process on a 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to a total of 2,093,056 kilobytes (2GB minus one 4KB page), so my guess is that your app has been programmed with that limitation in mind and therefore doesn't 'except' that there is more RAM in your system.

This is just my impression though. If we have a programmer in the forum, they may be able to verify or refute my idea.

Cheers!
  5. My thought is the answer is no. Not knowing what your 'memory intensive app' is I will assume it is likely a 32-bit app. Microsoft states that "a single standard process on a 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to a total of 2,093,056 kilobytes (2GB minus one 4KB page), so my guess is that your app has been programmed with that limitation in mind and therefore doesn't 'except' that there is more RAM in your system.

Cheers!
  6. This next topics has been merged by Aford10
  7. Thanks Aford10! Last time I replied to a thread like this I only replied to one of the two duplicate threads and the one I replied to disappeared.
  8. Yep, it sounds like bad programming.
  9. I try to make sure all duplicates with replies get merged.
  10. aford10 said:
    I try to make sure all duplicates with replies get merged.

No complaint! I just wasn't taking any chances this time. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Memory Usage Windows XP Memory