Sign in with
Your question

So am I supposed to twist AFTER pushing down the pins for LGA775 HSF?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 27, 2007 7:20:40 PM

I've read a million PDFs and watched the youtube videos. I still don't get it. After I attach the HSF to the CPU and I am pushing into the pushpins, after I get all four locked down/pushed in all the way, so I need to turn that the little black knobs to "secure" it?

From what I could tell all you need to do is push is down, and turning the knobs is only for HSF removal. But a few websites describing installation have said you need to make the "diagonal things meet" after locking it in place.

Or something. Clarification, please. My new arctic cooling freezer 7 pro arrves in an hour and I have no extra thermal paste. :-P
a c 143 à CPUs
November 27, 2007 7:43:44 PM

Just push them in to lock them. They twist one direction in order to pull out again; you may wish to make sure they are twisted in the opposite direction, but it only determines whether or not they can be pulled out.
November 27, 2007 7:45:55 PM

I install them by pushing the down the nob as far as it will go with a screwdriver, and while still applying that force down, turning it to lock it in. Basically, you shouldn't be able to just pull up on the pegs / nobs and have the HS release w/o first turning the nobs the other way. Hopefully that makes sense. Oh... I hate the push-pin system too.

If you look on the little nob, you'll see there is a little lifted lip on the peg it slides up on down on. You basically want to push it down so that the open spot on the nob catches the lip of the lifted spot on the peg, and turn it so it locks underneath it... if you don't get it, just take the HSF off and look at how the nobs and the pegs work together... you'll figure it out.
November 27, 2007 7:49:24 PM

So one says to just push down, another says to push down then turn.

Great... :-P
November 27, 2007 7:52:39 PM

Thermal paste is already on the bottom of the Freezers...

Have you seen the pushpin system b4? i would think once you took a look at it youd realise that they indeed have to be turned so they lock, then to remove turn in unlock position. My main advice would be to make sure that on the underside of the board you can clearly see the black plastic protruding through the clear plastic and ensure the mechanism is locked.
November 27, 2007 8:18:26 PM

Quote:

Pushing down does nothing. It's not locked if you just push it down... all you'd have to do is shake it wrong and it could pop out of place and screw you over. You have to push it down and then turn it (lock it) to prevent it from coming off.
November 27, 2007 8:23:17 PM

AHA! They NEVER say that in the intel instructional video!
November 27, 2007 8:28:33 PM

That's because they too secretly hate their system and want to pass the frustration onto the consumer! That or it's just really cheap and easy to manufacture.

I despise installing them or removing them from motherboards that are still in the case. It means I either have to A.) Remove the MB and disconnect everything or B.) Cut my self trying to maneuver my hands into the case to release the or reinsert the pins. :p  I'm not AMD fan-boy, but their HSFsystem is sooooo much easier.
November 27, 2007 8:51:12 PM

That's why I always stick with a heatsink with a back plate. The are harder to install, but they never come loose.
November 27, 2007 9:17:07 PM

If they are all ready turned into the lock position you just push them down. If they are in unlocked position you have to lock them. All the way clockwise is lock position. All the way counter clockwise is unlock. You can do it either way but they are meant to be in locked position and just push down.
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2007 9:33:50 PM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:

Pushing down does nothing. It's not locked if you just push it down... all you'd have to do is shake it wrong and it could pop out of place and screw you over. You have to push it down and then turn it (lock it) to prevent it from coming off.

Wrong.
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2007 9:37:45 PM

EricVPI said:

The pins are supposed to be in the latched position when you get the cooler, so all you do is push down. But, the pins often aren't latched, so it's a good thing to check them first. That is to say, rotate the pins clockwise until they stop before putting the cooler on, then push them in.

The only time you need to rotate the pins on an installed cooler is to unlatch them. Rotate the pins counterclockwise to release, then rotate them clockwise to re-latch before installing the cooler again.

This is 100% by the book, everyone who agrees with this is right and anyone who doesn't is guessing.
November 27, 2007 9:49:46 PM

yes
November 27, 2007 10:48:03 PM

Got my arctic cooling freezer 7 pro. I used to max out at 67-68C on stock cooling and stock voltage/speed. I have poor airflow in my case.

Now I have voltage cranked up to 1.38 (from 1.30) and am running at 60C under heavy prime95 load.

Sound good?
November 28, 2007 9:13:02 AM

uh.. first of all, you have your motherboard out of the case. You check the pins, make sure they're in the locked posistion. You put the hsf on, and you press down until you hear the "click". Once you hear the click, they're locked. No turning required, except to take it off.
November 28, 2007 12:31:07 PM

Quote:
Wrong.
I don't know if I'm wrong so much as using different methods to accomplish the same end-goal. By inserting the pins and locking them after will also ensure a secure attachment to the motherboard, will it not?

Quote:
uh.. first of all, you have your motherboard out of the case. You check the pins, make sure they're in the locked posistion. You put the hsf on, and you press down until you hear the "click". Once you hear the click, they're locked. No turning required, except to take it off.
I've also done this before, but sometimes it feels like you're going to break something while pressing down hard enough to get it to click.
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2007 1:43:05 PM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:
Wrong.
I don't know if I'm wrong so much as using different methods to accomplish the same end-goal. By inserting the pins and locking them after will also ensure a secure attachment to the motherboard, will it not?

All of the pins I've seen have the screw slots "rounded off" on one side to discourage users from doing what you said. Take a closer look at yours.
December 2, 2007 7:29:14 PM

I know. I was just laying to rest the question. Also I looked at a stock HS that I had sitting around, and you are also correct that the slot is rounded on one side to discourage exactly this.
rgeist554 said:
I install them by pushing the down the nob as far as it will go with a screwdriver, and while still applying that force down, turning it to lock it in. Basically, you shouldn't be able to just pull up on the pegs / nobs and have the HS release w/o first turning the nobs the other way. Hopefully that makes sense. Oh... I hate the push-pin system too.

If you look on the little nob, you'll see there is a little lifted lip on the peg it slides up on down on. You basically want to push it down so that the open spot on the nob catches the lip of the lifted spot on the peg, and turn it so it locks underneath it... if you don't get it, just take the HSF off and look at how the nobs and the pegs work together... you'll figure it out.
I already knew this, and this is what you said all along. You should still verify the pin orientation before installation.

I still stand by my initial post. If you can afford it, get a good aftermarket HS with a back plate. The mounting system on the stock one is crap. Even if you mount it properly, it still has problems with loosening up over time.
December 2, 2007 8:17:14 PM

who has an "unsharpened pencil with an eraser" laying around the house?
December 2, 2007 9:19:56 PM

chookman said:
who has an "unsharpened pencil with an eraser" laying around the house?

:lol: 
December 2, 2007 9:53:56 PM

If it helps, look for the little arrow on the head of the push pin. If the arrow is pointing towards the centre of the heatsink, that means its unlocked. In the locked position, the arrow will point out into empty space. also, in the locked position, the flat head screwdriver slot will be parallel with the heatsink fins. (all this is for the stock cooler)
December 2, 2007 11:52:49 PM

If he can't install the HS with the Intel guide above, then there is no hope.
December 3, 2007 12:20:18 AM

You only turn the knobs to unlock or release it, so you can pull them up to remove the HS. And if you plan on re-using the HS, your suppose to turn them back. It was in the video.

The only problem I ran into, sometimes the darn knob turned while I was pressing down, so it ended up not latching. :lol: 
December 3, 2007 12:46:13 AM

Bloody little knobs!
December 3, 2007 12:57:33 AM

It really wasn't the knobs. It was the fan and NB HS that got in the way, and my thumb kept turning it when I was pressing down in an angle, on my dads setup. Kept popping back up, and hard to see the arrow to make sure it was back where it was suppose to be.

I'm glad I got the tuniq with the back plate. Then it had its pain, since I didn't want to use the adhesive sticker on the back. And then again, I have to take my PSU just to take the HS out. The darn thing on my system barely fits together. :sweat: 
December 3, 2007 1:14:18 AM

You should have used the eraser side of an unsharpened No.2 pencil. :lol: 
December 3, 2007 1:31:27 AM

Ya... Now I know. :cry: 
December 3, 2007 1:36:33 AM

Just kidding.
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2007 1:40:22 AM

Zorg said:
You should have used the eraser side of an unsharpened No.2 pencil. :lol: 

Yeh, it's too bad that the eraser side of a No.3 pencil won't work!
December 3, 2007 1:56:32 AM

Crashman said:
Yeh, it's too bad that the eraser side of a No.3 pencil won't work!
December 3, 2007 2:28:40 AM

I gave up with mine popping out and got one with a screw in backing plate.
December 3, 2007 2:31:06 AM

LOL
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2007 3:25:55 AM

whoever said 'just push' is correct if and ONLY if the things are turned into locking position when you push. Don't assume they will be because they sometimes aren't, particularly if you turned them yourself unknowingly, he he,

Be sure they are turned for locking first and THEN just push
December 3, 2007 2:48:48 PM

I think it was Intel, 18 posts earlier, but I appreciate your confirmation. :lol: 
!