thehandoftheking

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
mother board: ECS KT600-A
processor: AMD Athlon 2200+
memory: 2GB DDR

running Windows XP Pro on original IDE hdd
bought Samsung 750GB SATA2 753LJ

Upon connecting the Samsung drive, before Windows loads from the IDE hard drive, I get a message saying a scan is taking place for the new hard drive or something and to "Press into user window." Nothing happens when I press tab. After the scan I get the message: "Hardware initiate failed, please check device. The bios does not be installed. Press to continue." The mob has two SATA ports, neither one works.

The only thing I tried was disconnecting the IDE drive and stealing one of its jumpers in order to put it on the Samsung drive. This didn't help. The support guy at Samsung said to try that to get the drive to change from 3.0 GB/s to 1.5. He didn't seem to know much about what he was talking about. Eg --- he thought the hdd had eight pins when it only has four.

I tried to update BIOS from ECS web site, but I couldn't figure out how to, and besides none of the problems listed that the BIOS updates resolve match this issue. Thanks for reading. I hope you can help.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Samsung drives do not have a 1.5/3.0 Gb jumper selector. Instead, they use a software utility to change the speed mode.

Here is the Samsung page that has the downloads for the utilities that change the speed:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=126&orderNum=2

I think the "SATA1_5G_iso.zip" file is an ISO file (used to create a bootable CD) that will change the Samsung to a 1.5 Gb/sec speed.

"SSpeed_iso.zip" is the ISO file for changing it back to 3.0 Gb/sec.

thehandoftheking

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Oh, I see, it creates a bootable CD (I read your response too quickly the first time). So I guess that is how the software gets applied. Thanks, I'm going to try that.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Well, at first I went to Samsung's site and couldn't even find his drive. Their web site seems a little (OK, a LOT) disorganized.

Since he said in his first post that he talked with Samsung tech support, who was less than helpful, and they told him about a jumper, but the tech agent (and the diagram you referred to) show 8 pins on the drive, but the OP said his drive only has 4 pins, so it may not apply to his drive.

I'd try the software settings first, since they should only work if they're fully compatible with his drive.

Also, if they won't run on his computer because the BIOS can't see the drive, he'll have to temporarily put the drives in another computer that handles SATA 3.0 Gb/sec in order to run the speed change utility.

TRENDING THREADS