What is my computer doing that I don't know about

Carolen

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
I am having some trouble with my computer.

I wanted to put a picture in here that I took, but there is no way I can without posting the photo online somewhere else and then making a link to it. Here is the deal...

My computer suddenly became SNOT SLOW, like very very slow. It was working pretty well then just allofa sudden its dragging at my every command.

When I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to see what processes are going on there are over 55 process going on, which seems excessive. But the weirder thing, I can have nothing open and if I go to the performance taband watch that green graph, it looks like someones heart monitor if it was attached to a fighter pilot going mach 20 upside down 20 feet off the ground. I.e. it is spiking up and down very rapidly.

About every 10-15 seconds there is a spike up to 100% usage, then it drops down to about an average of 20. I have MCAffee and it doesn't detect any bad software or viruses, I also have Adaware, it only detects tracking cookies, nothing else. It detected one thing, which I deleted and its all good now.

What else could be going on, how can I go about figuring it out?

The main culprits I can see with a lot of usage in this window are
"SVCHost.exe" it uses about "30 CPU" when it spikes every 30 secs or so.
"MCShield.exe" This spikes between "15-40 CPU"
"Services.exe" This one spikes between "30-50 CPU"
"HPBPRO.exe" This one is really weird. It is not in the list, then pops into the list for like 1/2 a second, using about "2CPU" then it immediatly disappears out of the list. I have never seen it in the list long enough to read it. I have to watch for the list to change then press "print scrn" so I can capture an image of it and see it.

:bounce: Help! :bounce:

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
MCShield is part of MCAffee - and I've always found mcaffee slows down systems quite a bit, as it's a resource hog. I just took it off my mum's dell, and that's now acting more responsive now it has nod32 instead.