jangster

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Ok I'm having some problems with my stock E6750 heatsink. Here's the problem sometimes the fan on the heatsink doesn't start spinning when i turn the computer on, and sometimes the fan randomly stops spinning in the middle of everyday things like surfing the internet or playing a game. I was thinking that I just got a bad heatsink any other views?

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
What motherboard do you have?
The stock intel cooler supports the fan speed changing based on temp reading, if your motherboard also has this feature then it's possible that it's slowing right down or stopping because the motherboard is telling it to (I have a Q6600 on an intel motherboard, the fan runs at around 1000rpm when I'm just doing deskptop stuff, and winds up to 3500rpm when I'm playing games).

Gigabyte motherboard right?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

That would be my guess. Good Old Smart Fan. But the real question is.... Is it really that smart?

Smart Fan: Is it 35C yet?
Bios: Nope

Bios: Psst... its 36C now.
Smart Fan: DoH!! Where's that start button.... :oops:

Smart Fan: Okay its running now.
Bios: Its 34C now, stop running that stupid fan.

Smart Fan: Doh... Where's that swtich again?
Smart Fan: Okay, its off.

Bios: Its 40c now.
Smart Fan: Okay, this is getting annoying.

:lol:. o O (Okay... so I have too much time on my hands)

enter the bios, press ctrl+F1 to show the secret/hidden features and set the fan type to PWM (and fan controll enabled) - its a typical bug on all gigabyte motherboards, its also harmless as when the cpu gets warm it spins up anyhow.

lennon2x

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Hello guys,I need your precious help!
First of all my english are not good so i'll try to understand me!!!
i bought some new parts because i want to build my own pc with my own hands(shame on me!)
well the parts are:
1)Quad core E6600 2.4 Ghz
2)Tagan PSU TG700-U25(700W)-SLI ready
3)OCZ Gold XT 2x1GB Dual channel
4)Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus
5)XFX Geforce 8800GTX
6)Thermaltake Kandalf 9000swa Full Tower

My problem is the Pc Started for 1 sec (the cpu fan worked for 1 sec and the 8800's fan too)and the system shut down
When i tried to started again the system didn't do anything(DEAD!!!)
when i plug out (or play the PSU switch from I to O and back then to I) the system starts up again for 1 sec...i'm rather experienced in the past about assembling PCs but now i feel so stupid cause i can't do anything more!
What do u believe?All the parts are brand new!!!!
I feel like I bought a Mercedes without a battery!!!
What't the possible reason u think?PSU?Heat sink (cpu fan)?I need your help!!!Thanks Anyway!

bozobytes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Sorry to hitchhike onboard..I've been trying to find a universal
replacement for my Stock intel HSF that came with my Q6600. I posted on the CPU Forums about my temps under username Bozobytes.

Can anyone tell me how much those Stock Intel HSF's are anyway? Are they as worthless as everyone is saying?
I'll try some new Arctic paste5 and check it out.

I was looking at Coolermaster Hyper TX2,but they are only $22.00 at newegg. Thaey also had a Coolermaster XDream HSF for only 15.00. Even some other higher priced HSF's are getting bad rep for the difficulty of alligning the HSF with the underneath side back plate mounts.

Am I wrong to thing that paying over 35-45.00 is going to be a better product? I just put this system together and hate thinking to remove the Mobo again for the backplate of a new HSF.

Idle temps are
MAX =212F > 100C
Core 0=136F > 58C
Core 1=133F > 56C
Core 2=120F > 49C
Core3=118F > 48C

I also have the DOT and DuaCore Temp software on the MSI P-35 Platinum MoBo....should I also shut off the smart fan in the bios?

Thanks loads.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
the stock hsf is fine as long as you don't plan to overclock, but even the stock type hsf designs with the push pins should be installed with the mobo out of the case, to ensure that the pins are fully seated.