ODBC problem w/ game installation

While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
=======================================
ODBC Installer
The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).

You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.

Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
=======================================

Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?

Thanks you!

Clem.
8 answers Last reply
More about odbc problem game installation

    Ensure you're running the latest MDAC components:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message news:ufephKwiFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    > While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    > =======================================
    > ODBC Installer
    > The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    > version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >
    > You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >
    > Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    > =======================================
    >
    > Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?
    >
    > Thanks you!
    >
    > Clem.

    Dear Doug,

    Thank you for your response. What I failed to mention is that I am running
    windows xp pro sp2. So when I tried to run MDAC_TYP.EXE, I received this
    message:
    ======================================
    MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of windows. All of its
    features are currently part of windows.
    ======================================
    Doug, do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?

    Thanks,

    Clem.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

    > While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    > =======================================
    > ODBC Installer
    > The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    > version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >
    > You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >
    > Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    > =======================================
    >
    > Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?
    >
    > Thanks you!
    >
    > Clem.

    My apologies, I should have given you the link to the 2.8 SP1 download, but even that won't install on XP SP2.

    Was SP2 pre-installed on your system, or did you install it after purchase?

    If SP2 was pre-installed (came with your computer), the open a Windows Explorer window and go to C:\Windows\System32\dllcache (this is a hidden/system folder). Locate the two files in question and right click each one. Select Properties and go to the Version tab. The version should be 3.525.1117.0, for both files. If correct, copy these two files from the dllcache folder to the Windows\System32 folder.

    If you installed SP2 yourself, follow the instructions above, but the files will be located in the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles folder.

    "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message news:eAdIq1yiFHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

    > Dear Doug,
    >
    > Thank you for your response. What I failed to mention is that I am running
    > windows xp pro sp2. So when I tried to run MDAC_TYP.EXE, I received this
    > message:
    > ======================================
    > MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of windows. All of its
    > features are currently part of windows.
    > ======================================
    > Doug, do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Clem.
    >

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Ensure you're running the latest MDAC components:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>
    >> While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    >> =======================================
    >> ODBC Installer
    >> The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    >> version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >>
    >> You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >>
    >> Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    >> =======================================
    >>
    >> Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?
    >>
    >> Thanks you!
    >>
    >> Clem.

    Doug,

    Thank you again. I installed SP2 myself. I checked the files in
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles and in C:\Windows\System32. It turns out that
    they all have the same version number (the one that you specified).

    Do you have any idea what is going on?

    My apologies, I should have given you the link to the 2.8 SP1 download, but
    even that won't install on XP SP2.

    Was SP2 pre-installed on your system, or did you install it after purchase?

    If SP2 was pre-installed (came with your computer), the open a Windows
    Explorer window and go to C:\Windows\System32\dllcache (this is a
    hidden/system folder). Locate the two files in question and right click
    each one. Select Properties and go to the Version tab. The version should
    be 3.525.1117.0, for both files. If correct, copy these two files from the
    dllcache folder to the Windows\System32 folder.

    If you installed SP2 yourself, follow the instructions above, but the files
    will be located in the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles folder.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

    > Dear Doug,
    >
    > Thank you for your response. What I failed to mention is that I am running
    > windows xp pro sp2. So when I tried to run MDAC_TYP.EXE, I received this
    > message:
    > ======================================
    > MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of windows. All of its
    > features are currently part of windows.
    > ======================================
    > Doug, do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Clem.
    >

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Ensure you're running the latest MDAC components:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    > Display\Security
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>
    >> While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    >> =======================================
    >> ODBC Installer
    >> The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    >> version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >>
    >> You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >>
    >> Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    >> =======================================
    >>
    >> Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?
    >>
    >> Thanks you!
    >>
    >> Clem.

    It would have to be something in the Registry, would be my guess, that for some reason reflect a different version than the actual DLL shows. But that's just a guess.

    "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message news:uANzs9AjFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> [...]
    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    >>> =======================================
    >>> ODBC Installer
    >>> The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    >>> version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >>>
    >>> You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >>>
    >>> Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    >>> =======================================
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?

    Relavent KB article:

    PRB: "ODBC Resource DLL Is a Different Version Than ..." Error

    Unfortunately, it says the fix is to reinstall MDAC 2.8 SP1 (what's included with SP2) but that won't install since its already there.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F0A8DF6-4A21-4B43-BF53-14332EF092C9&displaylang=en
    MDAC Utility: Component Checker

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e&displaylang=en
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1
> [...]

    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    >>> =======================================
    >>> ODBC Installer
    >>> The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    >>> version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >>>
    >>> You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >>>
    >>> Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    >>> =======================================
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?

    Doug,

    Thank you for your help. The component checker says everything is ok, and
    MDAC v2.81 won't install. I will contact the game manufacturer and keep you
    posted on any news.

    Thanks again,

> [...]

    >> Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> While trying to install Chessmaster, I received this warning message:
    >>> =======================================
    >>> ODBC Installer
    >>> The ODBC resource DLL (c:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different
    >>> version than the OCBC setup dll (c:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).
    >>>
    >>> You need to reinstall the ODBC components to ensure proper operation.
    >>>
    >>> Press ok to proceed, cancel to abort.
    >>> =======================================
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what this is about, whether I need to fix it, and how?

    Doug,

    The game manufacturer says that this may be an incompatibility issue that
    cannot be fixed.

    Clem.

> [...]
    >>> ======================================
    >>> Doug, do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Clem.
    >>>

    >>> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Ensure you're running the latest MDAC components:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    >>> Display\Security
    >>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com
    >>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    >>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

Games System32 Microsoft DLL Windows XP