Chipset / Hard Drive Woes With GA-P35-DS3L

putz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
I get my new computer built today (Core 2 Quad, 4 gigs DDR2800, 750w PSU etc etc) and bring it home. I pop the Vista DVD in, and start setup.

Upgrade is grayed out as usual so I hit custom. It displays the window that asks which partition I want, and nothing is there. At the bottom it says "no hard drive found" or similar. Then it asks me to load a driver. It scans the motherboard driver CD and comes up with nothing, so I manually try every folder and still nothing. I untick "hide incompatible drivers" and still nothing.

I plug in the other computer, browse the CD, and the chipset INFs are apparently in an exe. I try to run the exe from a command prompt via system repair in setup, but it wont let me leave the windows temp directory (X:/).

I loaded optimized defaults in the bios. nothing. I loaded the fail safe defaults in the bios. nothing. I enabled AHCI. still wont recognize.

HD is a seagate barracuda 7200.11.

How do I get my chipset drivers installed so Vista setup will recognize my hard drive, so I can format it and install the OS? I'm dying over here.

try using another computer to put the drivers on a floppy or a USB drive (if vista supports it - never done a vista install)

You should be able to get these from gigabyte's website

If not, just disable RAID, and it should be okay.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
as said, disable RAID or any other stuff (regarding harddisk in the bios). if ur vista 32 bit. then remove 2 gigs. vista installs with 2 Gig of ram. then added the other two.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

How do you know what motherboard OP has?

HAHA vista "feature" ... havent heard it explained like that. Yes ive heard of the RAM issue also

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Must have DS3L on the brain, probably thinking about another thread ... or maybe it was this one, titled

"Thread : Chipset / Hard Drive Woes With GA-P35-DS3L"