GUIDE: Nvidia BIOS Modification v1.0

Nvidia BIOS Modification Guide v1.0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates:
3/30/2008: First version
3/31/2008: Stickied by TheGreatGrapeApe. Minor text changes.
4/6/2008: Added link to Video Card Overclocking Guide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tools:

Bootable Floppy disk and drive

Following Tools downloaded:

AtiTool 0.26 or higher (or Rivatuner)*
GPU-Z 0.1.8 or higher
NiBiTor 3.7 or higher
NVFlash 5.57 or higher

* I will be using AtiTool in this guide; you are free to use Rivatuner if you like it. To see more infomation on overclocking Graphics cards see:Guide to Overclocking Video Cards
=====================================================================================

Prerequisites:

Nvidia latest stable drivers (currently 162.18 for 8x00 series cards, the BETAdrivers do not work with AtiTool/RivaTuner correctly yet)
Good GPU cooling
Know how to use AtiTool or RivaTuner
Having previous knowledge of GPU overclocking is recommended

*************************************************************************************
Warning: Modifying the BIOS will void your warranty. Do so at your own risk. This information is provided as-is, and me or any one on THF is NOT responsible for the damage caused by a bad flash, incorrect flashing, or any other damage caused to the card or computer.
*************************************************************************************

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Step 1:

Create a bootable DOS floppy. I will not explain how to make a bootable floppy here. If you don't know how to do it ask some one else for help, find it on the Web, or just don't bother continuing. Copy the files named "cwsdpmi" and "nvflash" to the bootable floppy disk.

Step 2:

Run AtiTool. Increase the Core/RAM speeds to the higher stable levels. Run "Scan Artifacts" for at least 3 hours. Monitor GPU temperature; make sure the temperatures are within safe limits. If the tool finds artifacts in the 3-hour period, decrease the Core/RAM speeds so that the artifact scan will not show up any during the 3-hour period. Record the Core/RAM speeds. Minimize AtiTool (Make sure you do not exit out of AtiTool).

Step 3:

Open up GPU-Z. Make a note of the "Shader" clock. Click on "Save BIOS to File...". (It's the button next to the "BIOS Version") look at screenshot below.

2375474886_ed65ffbd2f_o.png

Save the file as "ORIGINAL.bin" to the desktop. Copy this to the bootable floppy disk.

Step 4:

Open up NiBiTor. Go to "File" => "Open BIOS...". Open "ORIGINAL.bin". (Make sure File type is set to .bin) See screenshot below.

2374641341_8eee1cd154_o.png

Once the file is opened check the Integrity of the file. Make sure the Integrity indicator is green (see screenshot below). If it is NOT GREEN DO NOT CONTINUE!

2374641373_1e96e990f4_o.png

Step 5:

Under "Clockrates" change the values to those of that you obtained with AtiTool (Clock/RAM). Enter the "Shader" clock value you obtained from GPU-Z. Look at screen shot below.

****Note: Due to differences in manufacturers and models not all options will be available to all users. For example I can only modify the 3D setting. You can also change other things such as fan speed, etc with NiBiTor, but I will not go in to those details here.

2375475184_631352d2d2_o.png

Step 6:

Save the new BIOS file ("File" => "Save BIOS..."). Save the BIOS as "MOD.rom". (Make sure it is a .rom file) to the desktop. Copy this file to the bootable floppy. Reboot the PC and boot from the floppy.

Step 7:

Once you are booted in to DOS. Type in "nvflash --protectoff" (without quotes).

2374643327_b9cd3f70e0_b.jpg

once this is done type in "nvflash MOD.rom"
2375478198_19a118fbc3_b.jpg

WARNING! This is the last chance to back out! Incorrect flashing will kill your card. Do NOT Reboot PC at any time during the flashing process.

Type "y". Then wait until you get the successfully flashed massage.

2375479020_98235b0653_b.jpg

Once you get this message take the floppy disk out and reboot the PC.

Congrats! If you have made it this far you have successfully flashed your new BIOS. To double check open up GPUZ and see the stock speed. It should be the same as the values you entered. Run a "Artifact Scan" from AtiTool just to be sure every thing is OK.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Oh, sorry, I skimmed through it. No voltage change, my bad.

I wish there was one though, I'm not really into v-modding.

I like to point out that there's an apostrophe and quote error everywhere in your guide. This is probably due to hitting 'quick edit' instead of the normal 'edit'.

I vote Sticky over the old one! If you think it's good, PM a mod.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I agree, great job!

You should add an addendum on how to do this w/ a usb flash dive. That's how I had to do it.

Is there anyway to change fan settings with NiBiTor yet?

^ Fan settings depend on the card in use. Some, if not most 8800xxx card allow the fan to be controlled via NiBiTor. As for booting DOS from flash drive, I will probably include that in v2.0. I did not include it because using DOS from floppy is probably the fastest.

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Edit...great job Shadow,though I dont know why you use GPUZ to save the original file as a .bin and then use Nibitor to open it save the changes to a .rom
couldnt you just skip GPU-Z and use Nibitor to save the original.Also what is the difference between .bin and .rom I tried to flash a .bin file once and it wasnt possible.

^Yes. You can directly save BIOS it with NiBiTor. But, I used GPU Z because:

1. I wanted people to see what they are running (ie. RAM, GPU speeds,etc) and mainly Shader Clock.

2. GPUZ also lists BIOS version, vendor ID that advanced users can change via NiBiTor.