Anything I am overlooking anything about the Dell deal? ($208 8800GT)

Habeed

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I just found out that the $208 Dell 8800GT deal is STILL available! Yes, it's out of stock...but it's the lowest price you can order online, anywhere, and the website lets you get "in line" for a card. Newegg doesn't, and they want a minimum of $260 for their 8800GT...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Games/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=29&sku=A1348853

Ok, first off, I have heard before that essentially all 8800GT out are made by nvidia or are reference design, with identical board layout, fans, and bios. SO...an MSI 8800GT is IDENTICAL to any of the others? This is the first possible drawback I want to be sure I am clear of : Is the MSI version of the 8800GT an inferior card to the more expensive ones (such as the XFX)?

Second, I submitted my order, and the website says I can cancel anytime up until the ship date, which is estimated at December 12. Therefore, if another merchant offers an 8800GT for less than a total of $225 (including sales tax) I can just cancel and take the better deal instead. Correct?

About my system : I have a 52" 1080p HDTV that has a native resolution of 1824x1028. If I run in any other resolution, graphics are blurry and the edges are cut off. I have an e6400 CPU at 3.2ghz, X-fi, ect...everything else is top of the line except for the 7900GS graphics card. So I very much need an 8800 class card to not get choppy graphics in Bioshock, Oblivion, NWN2, Crysis, Call of Duty 4, Supreme Commander, The Witcher, and upcoming games.

pauldh

Illustrious
It's a fabulous deal, but unfortunatelty been all over the forums and the waiting list is probably huge. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel your order or if they ship them in January. I've had a few similarly great video card Dell orders that they cancelled on me. But anyway, by all means place your order and get in line. Yeah, you can cancel if you get tired of waiting. If I hadn't just bought two last week, I sure would at least try to get one or two.

ricehoshi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Yeah I just saw that to. Too bad I just got an 8600 GT and I already cut out the serial for a rebate...

... truly sad days. Whatever. I only spent $90 bucks on it... worse come to worse I'll just wait till the 8900 cards come out.

But if you can get an 8800 GT now for less that $225 you should just go for it. Those deals usually don't last long.

wmtp03

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007

Yeah, seriously, I don't get the big deal about the Dell page...that link has been up all day (and also three days ago) and amazingly, people who are ordering them now are chortling that they'll finally get an 8800GT. Good luck. I'll be amazed if Dell actually fulfills all the orders by December 10 or whatever date they gave everyone. You're essentially just buying something on backorder...which you can do on other sites. You're not even guaranteeing the price since Dell cancels these things left and right.

nmathew

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
I fear that this will be similar to the deal I got on my 6800GT. I think it was back ordered for two months or so. Their date kept getting shoved back, and you had to respond to each notice or they would cancel your order.