Your question

Cold Boot Problems

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2007 3:25:53 PM

System:
Q6600
2GHz Patriot DDR2 RAM
MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i chipset
BFG 6800gt oc PCIx (from previous system)
700W Thermaltake PSU
74Gig Raptor HDD (from previous system)

Recently built. After being powered down for an extended amount of time (2 - 24hrs), computer will power up, fans come on, BIOS beep code stable, but monitor will not come out of standby. If I hit reset once, sometimes twice, everything works great. Recently, after I hit reset, Windows will sometimes begin booting but will freeze on the load-bar screen.

A quick fix is to leave the computer in standby mode all the time, which I prefer not to do.

I have tried:
A different GPU (brand new and an old working one).
Rolling back graphics drivers.
Manually setting the RAM timings.
Reseting the CMOS chip.
Re-seating the GPU, Ram, etc.
Double check device manager to confirm all drivers are up to date and functional.

I have not tried:
Checking the PSU. I need an extra one, no help from friends. This is a brand new power supply so it's possible, but doesn't seem likely, especially since the system is stable from standby mode and after booting?

Anyway, besides the power supply. Any suggestions, perhaps things I have missed? Is there a way to confirm it is the PSU without purchasing a brand new one? I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to troubleshooting.

Thanks everyone!

More about : cold boot problems

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2007 4:18:10 PM

1) See if there is a motherboard bios update.
2) What does the beep code tell you? I don't think there should be any beeps for a normal startup.
3) Does memtest show the memory to be ok?
4) Is the keyboard ok? I recently had a keyboard that sporatically generated spurious entries, causing untold confusion.
5) While powered off, the parts will cool. Is it possible that something is not seated well, and gets better contact when heated up?
6) There are psu testers that you can buy($10-$20?), but I doubt that the psu is bad.
7) Contact MSI support, it is possible that you have a defective mobo.

---good luck---
November 20, 2007 4:31:03 PM

1. I have the latest BIOS
2. BIOS beep code is a typical subtle one beep boot code, stating everything is loading accordingly. Not sure if that's a code, but is standard on every board I've ever had.
3. Memtest86 no errors.
4. Haven't tried a new keyboard. Strange suggestion?
5. I have reseated everything to confirm contacts, as stated in my original post.
6. Many forums have pointed to the PSU as a possible problem.
7. Contacting MSI is my last resort, but might as well.

Thanks for your help. I hope my response doesn't sound unappreciative, just running down the checklist.

More suggestions?
Related resources
November 20, 2007 4:47:07 PM

I experienced something similiar, but not completely the same before. The PSU was going bad which would sometimes require the PSU to be unplugged from the wall/outlet for 30s-1min to allow the capacitors to discharge. After that the PC would start up just fine and never have a problem with a restart or quick shut down and reboot. Just something you may want to try. Another thing to try is check all the wired connections and make sure nothing seems loose or unstable, but I imagine this would cause more problems than just cold boot... but I've seen stranger things.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2007 5:06:07 PM

You could try replacing the power switch before replacing the PSU.
November 20, 2007 5:10:23 PM

If you have any USB devices attached have you tried a cold boot with them removed?
November 20, 2007 5:16:45 PM

i get this with my gigabytye board... when i have it overclocked to high.... but its amd so its not realy high.... i think it means there is a hardwhare problem
November 20, 2007 5:41:03 PM

One more thing to try. Remove the parts from the case, and see if you still have the problem. Verify that the screws used to hold the mobo to the standoffs are not too big, and possibly making some sort of shorting contact.
November 20, 2007 5:43:14 PM

I have a similar problem with one of my computers, but happens only like once in few weeks.
It started when I added another HDD. I checked HDDs in every possible way and they seem to be OK. System is 100% memtest and prime stable. I came to conclusion that it's either a motherboard or PSU problem.
November 20, 2007 6:02:40 PM

I have read in other forums that some cold boot issues are directly related to the HDD, especially with HDD's running at faster speeds (such as my raptor).
Here's a quote from another forum, "I've had a similar kind of issue with some previous computers I built. It always turned out to be the Hard drive. It's a little complex to explain it but to make it simple, The harddrive loads some resources too fast or something like that which causes that problem. This is especially true with fast controllers ( Raid or fast ATA 100/133)."
To address this issue I have also read to delay the integrated peripherals in the BIOS.

I don't know, seems a little far fetched to me, but nothing surprises me anymore.

More suggestions are always welcome. This seems to be a pretty consistent issue with hardly any conclusions, at least within the forums and websites.
November 20, 2007 6:18:35 PM

Well, the fact that it gets to the Windows load bar and stops almost makes me think it is CPU, HDD, or RAM related. So, you may have something with this:
Quote:
I have read in other forums that some cold boot issues are directly related to the HDD, especially with HDD's running at faster speeds (such as my raptor).
November 20, 2007 6:20:24 PM

You may have something there. Many mobo's have a hdd start delay. If too many things start at once, there may be too big of a power need, so they allow you to stagger the start of each hard drive. This is probably mostly used on server type systems with many hard drives. In your case, it would not hurt to delay the hard drive a little bit. Perhaps the cold lubricant in the raptor gives added resistance to starting up, drawing more power.
!