Sign in with
Your question

Your thoughts, please on this budget build

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2007 6:27:18 PM

Hello,

I'ld like your thoughts on this new build. My wife's computer I built for her abot 4 years ago. These are the main components:
CASE CHIEF|MINI TWR DH-01B 450W - OEM $47.00
MSI KT4 Ultra A (462) VIA KT400 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $78.00
VGA ATI|RADEON 7000 64M DDR AGP RTL - Retail $73.00
Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JB 40GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - $75.00
1 MNTR VWSNC|17" LCD VG700B RTL - Retail $427.00
1 Athlon XP 2000+ Thoroughbred 1.667GHz Socket A Processor Model AXDA2000BOX - Retail $86.00
1 Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Desktop Memory Model KVR333X64C25/512 - $71.00
I installed XP PRO SP2

The only thing I could really upgrade is to put more memory in, but even that seems like a waste. 1GB of the ram listed above is $60. 2 Gb Kingston ValueRam DDR2 PC 800 ram is only $63.00!!!!!

I wanted build something a little more contemporary and that would move a bit faster. All she uses it for is to surf the net, email, and use Word & Excel from time to time. She does download pictures from her camera, but does no editing of any kind. She just needs storage capacity.

So here is what I was thinking:

Rosewill R604-P SL 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $39.99 -$10.00 Instant $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $89.99

Update XION XON-500F8X2-201 ATX Ver2.2 500W Power Supply - Retail $49.99

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail $159.99

Update Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop $63.99
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Update Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

So what do you think? Fine the way it is? Seriously lopsided in any area?

I specifically went with on board video to cut costs. This Asus mobo, and the NVidia on board video was rated well.

The price is about $475 before shipping, and seemed decent in speed and capacity.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Don

More about : thoughts budget build

November 20, 2007 6:43:29 PM

Your wife's old computer is pretty un-upgradeable in today standards: 174 pin ram, a A socket, AGP videlo card, ect.

On that note, I think it would be a lot cheaper to build a new one. Apparently you agree with me. =P

Some notes:
-Rosewill is notorious for making bad PSUs, but I haven't really heard anything about their cases.
-If memory servers me correctly, the XION brand PSUs are a tier 5 psu(which means that you shouldn't buy one). Thing is...I don't know if the tier list is based on regular or gaming use. I can't imagine your wife would be able to stress out a PSU that much. I don't have the link the the tier list right now, but a search will turn it up easily.
-You motherboard is Micro ATX. While a good number of of ATX cases support M-ATX, you may want to check to be safe.
-Your CPU seems a little lopsided. I mean, it is great and all, but if you are really trying to cut costs...you could definitely go with a cheaper CPU.
-Everything else looks great. I'm sure your wife will be happy with whatever you get her.

Hope I helped,
-Adam
November 20, 2007 7:03:48 PM

Adam,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I've heard good things about Rosewill cases, thatss why I was considering this one. And it is compatible with a micro atx board.

The Xion PSU was just an example. It will be easy enough to find a better brand in the sameprice range.

I know the CPU is a tad over the top. I tend to do that with the CPU's. Can you suggest a more appropriate one for this usage?

Any thoughts, pro or con, concerning the on board video? I've never used it, but as you can see from the card she had previously it wasn't much better. Based on reviews alone, it seems like it will be more than adequate.

Thanks again.
Don
Related resources
November 20, 2007 7:13:34 PM

Hello again,

I would suggest a Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec PSU if possible.

Well, you don't really want too high of a CPU because (in games) the onboard video will most likely be a bottleneck. Are you set in stone with AMD? Would it be possible to do a mild OC?

Well, on my 5 year old dell, I have onboard video. It is ~1.5ghz, 256ram, and a run of the mill onboard videocard. Even though the specs are lower than the minimum required in WOW, it plays it with a solid 40FPS(min settings though). It is cheap, but don't be expecting to play things like crysis, hellgate: london, etc. with it.

-Adam
November 20, 2007 7:24:43 PM

Quote:
-If memory servers me correctly, the XION brand PSUs are a tier 5 psu(which means that you shouldn't buy one). Thing is...I don't know if the tier list is based on regular or gaming use. I can't imagine your wife would be able to stress out a PSU that much. I don't have the link the the tier list right now, but a search will turn it up easily.
You are correct, sir. XION and XClio are Tier 5 PSU's. Bad!!!

Quote:
Well, you don't really want too high of a CPU because (in games) the onboard video will most likely be a bottleneck. Are you set in stone with AMD? Would it be possible to do a mild OC?
I was thinking this as well. The 6000+ will kind of be wasted by the on-board graphics. Like adam said, if you don't mind doing a mild OC, you can get an E21xx and OC up to 3Ghz on air cooling. It will save you a bit of money that maybe can be spent on a decent video card instead.
November 21, 2007 3:20:31 PM

Thank you!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I'll have to rethink the cpu/mobo/video card situation.

Thanks again,
Don
November 21, 2007 4:45:25 PM

Yup every thing looks good. Make sure you get a GOOD PSU and possibly downgrade the CPU to a AMD X2 4000+. You should also snag a good HDD deal from Bestbuy, Staples etc. They have 320- 500GB drives for the ~<$70 during black Friday.
!