My 300 watt htpc, is this config will work??

heda_p

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Please review my wishlist which i want to order today...

its a basic htpc with fileserver capability, i have 2 750gn hard disks already with me...

i hope 300wt would be enough as i am having onboard/audio/video and using hdhomerun to use network tv...

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7660368&WishListTitle=FILESERVER

main components:
Antec NSK1300 Black/Silver Aluminum / Plastic MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 300W Power Supply - Retail
ASUS M2A-VM HDMI AM2 AMD 690G HDMI uATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX - Retail

I checked power supply calculater which says this config needs 257 watts at 90% load....

awaiting comments...

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I generally add 30% to what a power calc would give me because of spikes, less efficiency as time goes by, etc.

Couple Questions/Comments/Suggestions:
-Your Case is is M-ATX. Your Motherboard is uATX. Now, I've never build a micro before...so I am not entirely sure if a uATX mobo will fit into a M-ATX case.
-Never built an HTPC before either, but I would think that a faster CPU and less ram would be more advantageous than a slower CPU and more ram.

Hope I helped,
-Adam

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
**Edit** Nice catch, aadamszc, on the M-ATX and uATX. Can't believe I missed that.

My thoughts are that you may be able to get away with it, but a 400 or even 420 watt isn't that more expensive and will give you some head-room if you want / need to add more storage, etc. I was seeing 400W for about 29.99 on newegg.

heda_p

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
i too wanted Antech NSK1380 but its not available in usa...

small cube is important actually....i wanted for fileserver only initially...hdtv is just because it has that power....

i will be moving to another country thus having a small fileserver is imp....i dont want to buy nas devices cause have use another format than NTFS....

heda_p

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
here's extreme psu calculation:

System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ EE 2000 MHz AM2 Brisbane
CPU Utilization (TDP): 95% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM

SATA HDD: 3 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

56K PCI Modem: Yes
Additional PCI Card (avg): 1 Card

USB: 3 Devices

Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 80mm; 2 Fans 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 95 %

Recommended Wattage: 247 Watts

Have you considered the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H as the motherboard? It has optical out plus DVI, HDMI, and D-sub on the back panel. Would be great for HTPC use. Just a suggestion, the Asus looks fine too.

Another suggestion, take a look at the ULTRA MicroFly SX6 for a case. It comes with a 600W modular power supply and looks similar to the case you've chosen, though it is $50 more.

What resolution do you plan on running and what kind of content will you be playing?

heda_p

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

wow....i guess i am going with both of ur suggestions....what can i say more...i have hd projector panasonic PT-AX200u, i was constraining myself with lack of power....but this cube is too small which is good....with one extra bay....is something wrong??? i cant believe it

Your proposed setup should be fine. I find that all PSU calculators over-estimates the required power.

I use the same case/PSU for my 4+ year old HTPC. It used to be known as the Antec Aria. I have an Athlon XP 2600+ which uses about the same amount of power as the Athlon X2 Brisbane 4000+ 65W. It's load with 3 hard drives and a DVD drive. There's a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and the Radeon AIW 9600XT.

heda_p

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
oops....first time dealing with newegg.....they had already dispather my order yesterday.....couldn't change anything even i called them also....

Thanks rwpritchet for your extremely valuable suggestions... jaguarskx for confirming no low power stability issue, what i was suspecting...

Still thinking of returning antec 1300...and buy microfly one....lets see

thanks again guys you have been really helpful

Prakash