Removing a PCI-E video card

bluef0x

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I'm trying to remove a PCI-E video card from my A85NX mobo but broke the plastic clip thing at the end. No matter how hard I pull, the video card won't budge. Does anyone know how the locking mechanism works and how I can get my video card out?

bluef0x

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
It won't budge anywhere. I've tried just pulling from both sides by themselves. It really feels like it's locked/screwed in but I removed the screw and it doesn't appear to be locked in. Does anyone know howthe locking mechanism works on an Asus board?

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I would grap a pair of needle nose pliers... stand on that bastard then just start pulling... You'll get it to move alright... If not bring it over i'll fix it!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PCIe video boards generally have a little tab that is held in place by some sort of locking device. On some of my MBs a white plastic pin with a large button holds the tab. I like these, you can tell what you are grabbing by feel quite easily.

On other MBs the locking device is operated by a very thin piece of plastic that feels like the loose end of an uncut tie-wrap. To make matters worse it is often dark colored and the exact way you need to pull on it is a bit of a mystery since it is under the stinking video card. This is a big problem for dual slot vid cards. Whoever invented this type of card lock should be shot!

Sometimes the lock slides lengthwise and other times it rotates in from below. You need to know what kind of lock you have.

Anyhow what kind of mb do you have?

xeross

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Yes old thread but still can't seem to get it loose (videocard is blocking it), and I think I accidentally broke something of that should make it bend back. any idea how I can get the damn thing loose, I'm thinking about getting some sort of mini circle saw