Buoght a graphics card xfx geforce 8500gt (512mb) PROBLEM!

iam new to computers so please help me out!!!

A week ago i just bought a graphics card ( Xfx geforce 8500gt 512MB),
just because i bought call of duty 4.
Now when i play the game on line, i still have a problem with the game lagging alot sometimes.
i spend alot of money on this card and i am not to happy with it.

i think there is something else wrong.

My computer is a gateway gt501E,

it has a intel Pentium D processor 820, 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB,
1024mb DDR2,
250 gb hard drive (almost full have only 23 gb left of space.)

Can the game lag becase i don't have alot of hard drive space left?
or that does not matter?

also what i think mit be the problem is that, my power supply in my computer is a 300W power supply and the graphics card box says to have a power supply of MINIMUN of 350watts or greater.
Can this be a problem to make my game lag?

Or what else should i do to stopthe game from lagging.
i know it is not my internet speed because i have 5 meg internet and my friend has a 3 meg and his game works fine.

Can it be the hard drive is too full or the power supply?

also how can i check how much power the power supply is using and
what kind of information can i check to help me resolve this problem??

please help me all u can!!!

thank you for your time.............
56 answers Last reply
More about buoght graphics card geforce 8500gt 512mb problem
  1. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/169937-33-short-list-gaming-videocards-money
    8500GT is not recommended as gaming card the bare min would be 8600GT in the 8series.
  2. really!

i bought this card for nothing then?

Why is the card not a gaming card?

This card is the 8500 gt Professonal 1 series (Fatality).
    Fatality is a pro gamer and at the store they said that it is a great/excellant card for gaming.

The graphics are really good but the lag is what i want to solve.

Please help me out.

thanks alot for your time
  3. Let us know which store told you that the 8500GT is a gaming card so we can all stop going there.
  4. LOL i saw that card at best buy....total marketing scam.

and trust me fatal1ty would NOT use a 8500gt

your systems fine (albeit a bit weak) but its all on the card. the "lag" is just really choppy frame rates (min. 30 fps for FPS games). Download FRAPS and tell us what it says while your playing.
  5. The 8500 is considered to be more of a media centre card.Great for DVD playback,but not for gaming.NVIDIA should scrap everything below a 8600GT as gaming cards.Because when you put the burn on to that card,there is no turn on.Ya I recommend taking the card back and getting at the very least a 8600.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
    X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
    2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
    TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
    EVGA 7950 GX2 550/1350
    SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
    ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
    250GIG HD/320GIG HD
    G5 GAMING MOUSE
    LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
    500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
    WIN XP MCE SP2
    3DMARK 05 13,685
  6. Minimum 8600gt/2600xt. Take back the 8500gt and tell them that they SUCK and the video card isn't a "gaming" card. I'd fight with them on that and don't pay a restocking fee, since they knew what they were selling you.

P.S. Couldn't find your model at Gateway, but found this PSU on their site and then referenced it online.

StarTech.com (ATXPOW300PRO) 300-Watt Power Supply: Product Features

Product Details
    Product MPN
    MPN atxpow300pro
    Key Features
    Wattage 300 Watt

Number of Fans Single Fan

Compatibility ATX 12V
    Power Properties
    AC Input 115V @ 8A, 230V @ 4A

DC Output +3.3V @ 28A, +5V @ 30A, +5VSB @ 2A, +12V @ 15A, -5V @ 0.3A, -12V @ 0.8A

With only 15A on the 12V rail, you'll have to stick with lower end GPU's like the 8600gt and 2600xt. If you want to install a better GPU than that, you'll have to upgrade the PSU too, so that will cost you about $50 more.
  7. ^ agreed
  8. How much did you spend on that garbage of a card? It's good for certain things but gaming isn't one of them. I hope you didn't overpay, return it quickly. Unless you think 100 or so is a lot of money, top end graphics cards reach the 5-600 dollar range. Sometimes, if there is no competition, even higher at launch.

Return the card, and buy online...unless they store you bought it from has a bigger inventory. A ATI 3850 should be great for you, retails around 180 on the net. For the money, a great deal. If it's out of your price range, look into a 8600 GTS or X1950 pro.

Keep in mind though...If you bought the 8500GT based on the fact that it's also "dx10" compatible means nothing. Even if it is compatible, it doesn't have the power to actually do it. Personally, never listen to the salesmen at best buy or any other place. Most the time, they know diddly squat about hardware. A sub 100 dollar card might be able to do some slight gaming on older titles, but new titles...you'll want to stay atleast in the 150+ range.

a ATI 3850 would be the ideal card in the lower price range. But to be honest, your rig is getting a bit dated. I'm on a 3.2 prescott and x700 pro and have completely given up on gaming till I can afford my new rig. You might want to look into saving up your funds for a new motherboard, processor, graphics card, and ram. That's just my suggestion though. Your processor is at the generation/speed to bottle neck now-a-days with mid-higher end cards.
  9. genius107 said:
    Fatality is a pro gamer and at the store they said that it is a great/excellant card for gaming.

Man, it really pisses me off when retailers pull this crap. They take advantage of unsuspecting customers and lie their @sses off to make a sale. You should return that card for a full refund - don't accept any restocking fee. Talk to the store manager if you have to; mention that the sales person told you it would be suitable for gaming, which is an implied warranty of fitness, and the product does not live up to the warranty. If they still won't give you a full refund, threaten to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (if you live in the US - I don't know what the equivalent organizations would be outside the US). Use the threat as a last resort though; don't lead with it or they will just dismiss your concerns.
  10. one thing you can say about the staff at the local computer store they are good salespeople. Know how is a total different story.
  11. thanks you everyone for your help.

teh_boxzor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes i did buy the card at best buy.
    I hope i can give it back because i had the card for more then two weeks.
    Also i download Fraps and how do i use it??
    Then you said that my computer is alittle weak.
    What is so weak and what should i upgrade??

Dahak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what is the differants between the 8500gt and the 8600gt and the Ati3850 ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    I looked up the 8600gt and it is only a 256 mb memory on it when mines has 512 mb.
    Also i went with the 8500gt because on box it said the it recommands a 350 watt power supply. Now the 8600gt recommands a 400watt psu.
    So i will diffently now need to buy a new power supply for that card if i will get it.
    Or will my 300 watt psu be allright?

Now when i am goin to be looking for a new power supply, what info should i look at when i buying the psu and what info should i use about my computer to make a perfect match for my computer and video card??

Kamrooz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought the card for $150 at best buy.
    Now what is a better card a the 8600gt or the ATI 3850?
    Do bought of them have the shader model 3.0 because that is what i need to play call of duty??
    I see that that the ATI 3850 is only $170 at best buy and i would probably need a new psu. right??
    Yes i want a card the has direct 10 because i might want to upgrade to vista in the future.
    Also i want a card that is goin to last me a couple of years for game and other things. i don't want to be buyin graphic cards every 2 years.
    Now you said that my rig is almost outdated.
    What is wrong with it?
    I do not get whats wrong with my motherboard, processor?
    I think all i need is a new graphics card and some ram.
    If i have to spend thousands on my pc, i will just go back to playin playstaion!! But i love pc games.

asgallant !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. i will try that.
    Now how can i prove to them that the 8500gt card is not a gaming card???

I can't believe this.
    What you guys told me, i feel like i got ripped off/scammed and wasted my money.

What is the most important thing to look for when buyin a graphics card for game?? Ram or etc?????????

thanks to all for the help.
    Without this site or you poeple, i would not know all this.
    Great help....
  12. I bought my XfX geforce 8600gt xxx witch is the oced series. Now with stock cooling i can get my stock 620 core to 700 and my 1600 memory to 1800. With a 88mm fan sitting on top of the thing i can get my core to 751, memory 1902, shader 1604. and i bought mine for $120.00 on tigerdirect.com and there down to $99.00 now plus you can oc without voiding warrenty. i can play lost planet all but maxed XC, jericho maxed, and CoH all but maxed. all in beautiful dx10. i would suggest my card to anyone wiht a buget.

Hope this helps you
  13. x_2fast4u_ x !!!!!!!!!!!
    What is the Oced series??
    Also what is this all about/what does it mean??
    (stock 620 core to 700 and my 1600 memory to 1800)
    ( i can get my core to 751, memory 1902, shader 1604)?

Can i check that info about my card and give it to you to seee
    what my card is reading??
    how can i do/check this??

thanks for the info but help me out to understand this!!!
  14. OC means Overclocked and basically it's designed to run at faster speeds than stock. Core means the stock video card speed, the higher the better.

Higher memory = better

I don't know what shader means, I'm learning about video cards myself.

good luck
  15. thanks
    but that only helps me kinda.

so don't all cards want to run at fastest speed for better proformance??
    Why do they make regular card and oc cards??
    So oc cards are much better?? right??
    And now core means that the video will look better or just run better??

Can you please explain core better??

sorry iam dumb.

thank you for your time
  16. genius107 said:

You got Chumped. Take that back, and ask to speak to the manager. I hope you remember who told you that garbage so they can get fired.
  17. Okay "core" means the GPU speed. GPU is the main brain for the video card. It's called the Graphics Processing Unit. It's just like a CPU (Central Processing Unit), but is only for the graphics portion of the system. The companies that make the CPU or GPU sell them with certain settings, 1.5ghz/2ghz/2.5ghz/etc. When you OC (overclock) either the CPU or GPU, you basically increase the processing speed from the stated "stock" setting. For example if you take a 2 ghz CPU and OC it to 2.5 ghz, you have increased your processing speed by 500mhz. This is what most OC'er like to do. You pay for a 2 ghz CPU and "freely" OC it to a 2.5 ghz. Now there are some limitations to OC'ing certain parts (CPU/GPU), so you can't just "freely" adjust the speed up, without any repurcutions.
  18. Genius, that card is only worth 80 dollars on the net. Tell them that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=8500GT&x=0&y=0

Don't ever buy cards without getting educated advice. I would never in my life trust a salesman at best buy, circut city, or any of these major retailers. If we are talking about a mom and dad's pc shop, that's one thing, they are mostly educated and have a passion for what they do. But retailers, they are just inexperienced users trying to sell off junk to make commission.

Return the card, tell them you were told lies, the card can not perform in any games your attempting to play. the 3850 is overall a better card. at that price.

The different between stock and oc cards is the clock speed. The stock cards are running just like it sounds, at their stock specified speeds. The OC cards are run above the specified speeds...Therefore, faster. Don't worry yourself with this too much though. Best buy won't have much of a large inventory when it comes to many of the same card, so don't worry about it.

But just incase you want to know for future use. Core clock is the gpu speed. Memory clock is how fast the memory speed is operating at. If you are buying a card and there are multiple choosings...Look and see if the boxes state the core clock and memory clock. If one is higher then the other...pick that one. What does the higher speed do? It's just like a overclocked cpu...It's faster. Which means slightly higher frame rates, which can also mean slightly higher eye candy that can be enabled if you wish. Do not try to compare one cards core/memory clock to another..They all use different speeds because their architecture is slightly different...Only compare these core/memory clocks to the same family of cards...if it's a 8600 GTs...only compare it to 8600 GTS cards. If it's a 8800 GT, only compare it to 8800 GT's. Why? Because each card runs on a slightly different design...Therefore, the higher up cards will perform better even at lower speeds due to the architecture.

Regarding your processor and ram. 1 gb is rather smaller now-a-days. Most games won't run very quickly with 1 gb of ram. 2 gb is ideal, with some rare newer titles taking in even more. Your processors is quite old now. Mine is even older (single core pentium 540 3.2 ghz)...But atleast you have a dual core model....you should be able to last with it for maybe less then a year or so...the x2 and core architecture give too large of an improvement for the pentium d and single core solutions to offer much now-a-days. But it should be fine for now. The more new titles you want to play, the harder it's going to get to stretch it's life span. From what I've heard though, Call of Duty 4 isn't as demanding as the other new titles being released, so you should be fine.

You will have have to get new power supply the farther up you go. Next time, don't get a brand name. Custom computers are always the way to go. But yes, you will need to get a new powersupply. Honestly though, If I was you I'd just return the card and buy online...If you go and try to buy a new powersupply as well...They'll probably give you another cheap peace of crap. Power supplies are the most important factor in a psu. It's a cheap PSU and it gives out on you due to low quality components...It can take your entire computer with it. It's not for no reason most middle to high end rigs buy power supplies that range within the 120-400 dollar range. For my next rig, I'll probably be dumping around 350-450 into a new psu.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Use this list, stay above Tier 3 and you should be fine. Tier 2 and above is ideal though. Make sure you follow the minimum requirements on the card you purchase. If you decide to buy online..It'll be a lot easier to help out.
  19. I have the exact same card and works great for playing Hellgate on a resolution of 1680x1050 on Max Settings (30+ fps most the time). I do see what lunyone was telling me about on my thread though... I went out and bought a 8600GT today and bam.. I can tell the difference graphics wise... still the same game play though.
  20. FRAPS: just run it and start playing(don't exit it). and as for your system. pentium was a terrible intel core let alone 2 pentium cores.
    And you should buy a new PSU since 300 watts is really REALLY weak.

I would never buy a video card from a best buy store, circuit city is better. Best Buy employees don't know crap about video cards. Try to avoid large retail stores in general, instead shop online or at a tiny computer shop (like PC Club, or mom and pop owned ones.)
  21. haha this is such a comic
  22. If you have had the card more than 15 days get ready for a battle. Taking something back to Best Buy after the 15 day return policy is like pulling teeth, unless things have changed.

In order to understand VGA's you should read several reviews, there is a lot to cover for one thread.

VGA Charts 2007 | Tom's Hardware is a quick is a quick way to get some idea of where the cards place in various games. It's in need of an update.
  23. Returning for something you didn't like is slightly different than returning something you were lied to about. Even if they say buyer beware, false advertising never fails.

Edit: And genius, remember that memory does not give a sole indication of a card's performance. My 760GT with 256MB is better than your 8500GT with 512MB. Even though you have more video RAM, your core is weaker, and that makes the difference. You need to know what core you are buying, not just how much RAM the card has.
  24. Out of curiosity what other games do you play (you only mention 1) and how well do they run on your system ? When you say the game lags are you refering to online play ? or when you play single player games ? The 8500 is a low end card but it will still play games (Bioshock, Crysis, Doom 3, Quake 4, Oblivion, Two worlds, Witcher, etc) albeit at a lower resolution. Doom3 for instance sets everything at the highest settings but the max res. is about 1024 x 768; anything higher and the FPS drops to low. Also I don't know anyone who has a Power supply smaller the 550w. As far as false advertising even companies like Gigabyte state that their 8500gt is a gaming card and they don't get much bigger than that. I do agree that you should'nt listen to the Future shop / Bestbuy sales people as they have (usually) very little training. When you go the store you bought it at talk to them in a normal tone; if you go in ranting and raving they might treat you not nice . Just my 2cents
  25. Hi Genius

Some of this has been covered but it's simpler if I give you a full response.

Your computer could be lagging if
    1. not good enough processor speed
    2. not enough memory
    3. same as 1 & 2 above but regarding graphics card's processor and memory
    4. Sofware conflicts

It is always a good idea to rule out software conflicts first, as it's free. Get a utility like system mechanic 7 (on trial) can fix crippling errors on your computer. (As with installing all software utilities, create a system restore point first).

Graphics Cards

Consist of a board, a processor and memory. If they were a car, the board would be the shell, the processor the engine and the memory the gas tank. With 512mb your graphics card can hold a lot of info but it still needs to be processed for you to get anywhere. Therefore his 7600 will beat the 8500gt, as it has a better processor (core).

You have asked about comparing graphic card processor specification, to know what to buy. The truth is you can't compare one graphic cards to another, like you can't compare a Core2 against a Pentium D. Each generation and brand is completely different. Tom's Hardware best buy league table is your safest bet by a long way.

When I build a system I usually spend as much on a graphics card as I do on memory, a processor and the motherboard. It is the only component I haven't found a way of preforming on a budget. Some might go cheaper but it's a hard component to change, compared to memory and to some respects the processor, especially if you want it to last a while.

The 3850Pro would be a great card for you in the present term and would see you well in the future but you would need a power supply.. Anything cheaper and I wouldn't bother with DX10, although you could go much, much cheaper then.

Never shop in PC stores.

Good luck, Dave
  26. WEll it looks like you found out everything except what a shader clock is. ok a shader clock is as u guessed a prosesor taht prosesses shading the pixels so that it looks more life-like.

Hope this helps.
  27. $150 for an 8500 GT? Ouch. Does it hurt when you sit down?
  28. rodney_ws said:
    $150 for an 8500 GT? Ouch. Does it hurt when you sit down?

loled

Good old Best Buy loving!

:love:
  29. rodney_ws said:

:lol:
  30. rodney_ws said:

I wonder what a 8800gt is going for at the same store? $500?
  31. the op said the game lags when playing _online_
    yes the card is useless but no one asked about the ping times he gets to the game server, his bandwidht is more than enough but what about the pings?

funny thing how the term/verb lag has changed/expanded its meaning in few years....
  32. I got the BFG 8800GT OC from Bestbuy for $249. Normal price was $279.

Unfortunately another Best Buy Customer walks out of the store with an overpriced 512MB slug.

Return it as it should be under their 30 day policy, and buy the HD3850 for $170. It crushes the 8600GTS never mind the 8600GT. An for $20 more than your 8500GT....wow what a difference $20 makes at BB. http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=704&p=2
  33. Fatal1ty sold his soul to the devil, and his name too.
  34. Listen to these guys ..... they're telling you the facts ..... don't keep asking more questions . You should have asked them before you bought that card .... it's called research = checking out performance and prices . This very well may be an expensive mistake .
  35. Like people have told you, you got ripped off. You pay $180 and you get an HD 3850 which would be so much faster than your 8500GT that it's not even funny.

Return the card if at all possible. It is NOT a gaming card, no matter how overclocked it is. OCing a card doesn't make a world of difference in the card's performance, and as a general rule of thumb if an overclocked card is priced more than 10% of it's non-overclocked counterpart, it's not worth it.
  36. randomizer said:
    Fatal1ty sold his soul to the devil, and his name too.

I can't wait for the fatality GF6150 mobo's to come out. I hope they are under $250!
    :pt1cable:
  37. Fatal1ty is such a toolbag, I hope he comes here to refute that, coz I will just laugh and say it again.
  38. thank you alot everybody for you time to helping me.
    And thanks for explaining things more/next level.

The game plays good in single player with nice graphics but its only on multi-player that the game lags.
    i can walk and it will not lag.
    it is only when i shoot at somebody or when there are big explosesives goin off near me.

But i got some more questions!!

Kamrooz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i understand OCING/core/memory clock.You explained really well/great. thanks alot.
    Wow $80 dollars. Unbelievable.
    But now some cards boxs don't show any core/memry speed on them.
    Why is that??

On this box (8500gt) it only says (850 mhz memory clock is 20% faster than standard 8500Gt.)
    Why doesn't it say anything about core clock??
    So what speeds are good for core and memory?
    For example 650 mhz and up for core and memory etc.
    So core is more important then ram in graphics cards???

Now, about my computer.
    Yes i am goin to buy some more ram for my computer?
    How can i find out, what is the most ram i can put in the computer?
    What is your opinion, is a pentiun 4 better or pentium d?
    So what is better single core or dual core now?

When you are talking about custom computers,
    you mean to built it by myself?

What do u mean by this (It's a cheap PSU and it gives out on you due to low quality components...)??
    So when iam goin to buy a new graphics card and power supply,
    is newegg a good place to buy from, or is there any other sites that are better?

teh_boxzor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sicuro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When i played COD4 on multiplayer, i used fraps and i got 30 to 46 at most times.
    Is that bad??
    What is a good FPS rate that a graphics card should show?

What is this all about (teh_boxzor) (((((pentium was a terrible intel core let alone 2 pentium cores.)))))))
    So what is better then pentium D?? Is petium D bad??

Zorg!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the site. i will check it out.

MickyDee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just mostly play shooter games and some sports games.

WobblyEngl ishman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice/great explaining about the graphics card
    That makes alot if sentence now. thanks alot also.

Can i upgrade my processor speed ???

The system mechanic 7 your saying is only a trail period utility but can it help alot.

Did anyone else use for there computer?

And yes i allready did a restore point on my computer.

I heard that the service pack 2 slows down your computer also.
    Is this true??
    What does this service pack do anyways??

Kari !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ping that i get is between 40-90.
    Thats good right?

pauldh !!!!!!!!!
    What is the differants between ati 3850 or 8800gt?
    How is the 8800 better/in what way?

trooper194 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i radder ask questions here and get real people opinion/realitic opinion then readin something that may notbe true.
    And this is how i learn better by askin questions.
    So these poeple are kind enough to help me out and you just don't have to read this post and dont answer questions.

i really appricate alot all you poeple for answering my questions and giving me your opinions and for being kind.

This is help me learn alot about graphics cards.
    Thank you for your time.
    And hope to hear from all of you and more poeple.
  39. To answer some of your questions:
    1) Duo core is much better than single core. Your Pentium D is better than a Pentium 4. If you got a newer Core 2 Duo that would be cooler running and also beat the pants off of the Pentium D that you have.
    2) As far as the video card is concerned: Are you going to take the 8500gt back? If not than getting another gig of DDR2 will help things out a little more, but not too much on the gaming side (except maybe online games).
    3) A custom computer is one that you or someone else builds to your specifications. This means picking all of your parts yourself and putting them together, which isn't too hard to do these days. Most people on the forums can help you get a list of what to buy and there are guides that can help you put everything together. 90% of the work for me is just picking out all of the necessary parts for a build. I spend lots of time researching out every part that I put into a system and then I spend more time in researching where I'm going to buy from. 90% of the time I buy from newegg, because there shipping and customer service is good. There are others that I look at (zipzoomfly.com/mwave.com/ewiz.com/newegg.com). If you can put in memory, graphics card, and install an OS, you can probably make/build your own computer.
    4) PSU's are probably the least looked at item. Most gaming computers will require a good and solid PSU to run them. This usually means that you should not skimp on a PSU, when you build a gaming computer. Most quality PSU's will work fine for most applications, but you will need to consider any upgrades that you might want later, when your selecting the right PSU for your system.
    5) Most people like to see more than 25 fps on games. This is generally the minimum most gamers will/can deal with, so if your getting 30-46fps on decent or acceptable graphic settings, than you probably have smooth gameplay. Each person has different requirements for smooth gameplay, but anthing over 25-30fps should be pretty smooth.
    6) Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP includes alot of patches/fixes for the operating system (OS). If you have windows XP, I'd make sure you have SP2 installed and updated from microsft. You are susceptable to virus' if you don't have your OS up to date, so don't forget to make sure the OS is up to date.
    7) Here's a link comparing a 3850/3870/8800gt together that will show you possible performance differences with a given setup. 8800gt generally beats the 3870, but the 3870 is close. The 3850 is not at good as the 3870, but it does quite well for it's cost. If on a budget, I'd get the 3850 (~$170 right now) and then I'd go for a 3870 or 8800gt whichever is in stock and under $270 or so.
    http://guru3d.com/article/Videocards/472/10/

Hopefully I helped you understand some more. There will be other answers/views that are going to be different, but I think I covered most of your questions.
  40. thank you alot everybody for you time to helping me.
    And thanks for explaining things more/next level.

The game plays good in single player with nice graphics but its only on multi-player that the game lags.
    i can walk and it will not lag.
    it is only when i shoot at somebody or when there are big explosesives goin off near me.

But i got some more questions!!

Kamrooz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i understand OCING/core/memory clock.You explained really well/great. thanks alot.
    Wow $80 dollars. Unbelievable.
    But now some cards boxs don't show any core/memry speed on them.
    Why is that??

On this box (8500gt) it only says (850 mhz memory clock is 20% faster than standard 8500Gt.)
    Why doesn't it say anything about core clock??
    So what speeds are good for core and memory?
    For example 650 mhz and up for core and memory etc.
    So core is more important then ram in graphics cards???

Now, about my computer.
    Yes i am goin to buy some more ram for my computer?
    How can i find out, what is the most ram i can put in the computer?
    What is your opinion, is a pentiun 4 better or pentium d?
    So what is better single core or dual core now?

When you are talking about custom computers,
    you mean to built it by myself?

What do u mean by this (It's a cheap PSU and it gives out on you due to low quality components...)??
    So when iam goin to buy a new graphics card and power supply,
    is newegg a good place to buy from, or is there any other sites that are better?

teh_boxzor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sicuro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When i played COD4 on multiplayer, i used fraps and i got 30 to 46 at most times.
    Is that bad??
    What is a good FPS rate that a graphics card should show?

What is this all about (teh_boxzor) (((((pentium was a terrible intel core let alone 2 pentium cores.)))))))
    So what is better then pentium D?? Is petium D bad??

Zorg!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the site. i will check it out.

MickyDee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just mostly play shooter games and some sports games.

WobblyEngl ishman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice/great explaining about the graphics card
    That makes alot if sentence now. thanks alot also.

Can i upgrade my processor speed ???

The system mechanic 7 your saying is only a trail period utility but can it help alot.

Did anyone else use for there computer?

And yes i allready did a restore point on my computer.

I heard that the service pack 2 slows down your computer also.
    Is this true??
    What does this service pack do anyways??

Kari !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ping that i get is between 40-90.
    Thats good right?

pauldh !!!!!!!!!
    What is the differants between ati 3850 or 8800gt?
    How is the 8800 better/in what way?

trooper194 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i radder ask questions here and get real people opinion/realitic opinion then readin something that may notbe true.
    And this is how i learn better by askin questions.
    So these poeple are kind enough to help me out and you just don't have to read this post and dont answer questions.

i really appricate alot all you poeple for answering my questions and giving me your opinions and for being kind.

This is help me learn alot about graphics cards.
    Thank you for your time.
    And hope to hear from all of you and more poeple.
  41. Thanks alot for asnwering my questions and helping me out lunyone!!!!!!!!!!

lunyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes iam goin to try to return the card.
    I thought I had only two weeks toreturn it but on the recite it says::
    (gift purchases made nov. 1 - dec. 24 qualify for the extened period. The last day for returns wil be Jan. 1 2008.))

So i think i should be all right returning it with no problems.
    Do u think so??

So where can i get a list of what parts i need to built my own computer?
    When you built your own custum computer, how much did you spend??

Thanks also for the sites. I will hopefully buy my cards on one of those sites..

And yes iam getting over 30 fps but i still have some lag when i shoot a gun or when there is alot of action goin around me.
    I think i have a cheap sound card, would that make the game lag??

i was goin to tryto remove the service pack to see if the game was goin to run better.
    because someone told me that the sevice pack slows down your pc 30%.

I want to buy a card but i don't want to spend over $200.
    is there anywhere i can get the ati 3870 for under or little above that price?
    Do u know if there is alot of problems with this card??

Can u suggest what 500 watt power supply is also good with that ati 3870?
    how much V and AMPS should the power supply have for that card??

thanks alot for your help.
    i really appricate it alot.
    i never knew how much i can learn from these forums and people.
  42. Well lots of questions, but how does one learn? Here's a quick answer for now, since I have about 2 min. before I need to get ready for work.
    Items needed for computer are:
    1) Case, should have fairly good airflow. You can get these around $30-50 depending on MIR's or timing.
    2) PSU Should be one of the most important things to consider. Right now 400+watts of a quality PSU should do for most setups. 500+ for more demanding systems
    3) CPU Most dual cores can handle pretty much everything, AMD and Intel have good CPU's. Intel currently is better, but is more expensive in general.
    4) Mobo This is the backbone for your system. If it doesn't support what features you want, than you'll not be happy with it. Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/Abit are some quality mobo's. Not all are perfect, but they are generally very good.
    5) Memory This is more important for AMD systems, since they like to have better memory than Intel setups. DDR2 800mHz is the standard right now and can be had for about $50 for 2 gig's of DDR2 800mhz.
    6) GPU Of coarse this is the most demanding part for games. The better the GPU you get (in general) the better your gaming will be. So get the most GPU for the money that you can afford!
    7) DVD/CD Drive. I prefer to get "retail" versions of a DVD burner, since it comes with all of your DVD software. This usally only costs about $3-5 more and is well worth it!
    8) HD This part is probably the bottleneck of most systems. Get WD or Segate Barracuda's here. Make sure they are SATA 2 (3.0g) ones and are at least 7200rpm's.

There you have it. I'll be back later when I have more time.
  43. This reminds me of the terrible days before shopping online... Another man is slowly becoming enlightened.
  44. 30 through 46 is good for a fps.

pentium D is bad, this was when AMD ruled all processors in gaming.

its too hot, its not very efficient at work, and its just plain horrible.

for you i'd recommend saving some money and switching over to a core 2 duo "e" series (e2140 etc.....) assuming your on socket 775
  45. how much money do you have i will help you build a system.

message me on aim = quikaznsk8r
  46. lol, i remember when i was a computer NOOB and i spent 120 on a radeon 9550 pro at best buy. The very next day i was looking up my card online and accidentally came across newegg. I found radeon 9800pros for almost the exact same price id just paid best buy for my 9550. And the people at best buy lied through their teeth to me about the 9550 being a solid gaming level card! I have not set foot in one of these places since that episode! (newegg rocks!)
  47. I agree with the minimum for games being an 8600 GT. I have one in my second system. It runs games okay at a 1280x1024 resolution as long as you don't use AA/AF. That's with an E2140 @ stock and 2GB ram.
  48. Take that thing back ASAP and go with 3850 or 3870 (check online prices to make sure you get a good deal). You have to be careful buying at Best Buy, sometimes they have real good deals, as pauldh got an 8800GT at MSRP, but most times they're overpriced, like the 8600GTS costing the same as a 8800GT.
  49. I think Wal-Mart wins this one, selling a GeForce 6200 PCI card for $130.

And NewEgg is great. I get 1-2 days shipping (processing included), but in return, I have to pay tax because I live in LA, CA.

And Best-Buy is so-so, it's both bad and good at times. Return it!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Geforce Graphics Product