GeForce 8500 installation on a Emachine T6

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I found this forum by using google and I believe it may be the place for me.

My Machine is a Emachine T6528. I recently bought a GeForce 8500 and I knew at the time that I would need to also get a better power supply but, I thought I could install the graphics card with the stock Power Supply and get around till I bought the new one.

Now, I read this thread and I think I am going to buy the power supply that the_guru suggest. Since I have all that explained I will get down to the problem.

I just got the card today and followed the instruction manual but, to no avail. The PCI-Express slot isn't being regonized and when I plug the Monitor Cable into the slot on the 8500, I get no pictures.. so I have had to reinstall the Geforce 6100 (onboard chipset graphics card) drivers and all that so I can use my computer until I get this worked out. My question would be, Was the PCI-Express card not working due to poor installation or because I don't have a 350+ Watt power supply but, only a 180watt...?

I would also like to request a set of instructions on how to properly install this new graphics card with my Onboard Chipset... because it isn't going as smoothly as the last graphics card I installed 3 or so odd years ago.

Note* My PC has that Chipset Nvidia 6100.. which complicates installing a new one (for myself atleast)... I may simply be making it too hard for myself.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Your PSU is woefully inadequit to run that card.I would have to say that yes,your PSU is the problem.Do what is required and get a new PSU,one that is adequit to run that card.And make sure there are no extra power connections on the board for PCI-E.Man,I'm surprised your system even runs with that PSU.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 7950 GX2 550/1350
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK 05 13,685

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Usually, when dealing with installing video cards, what you will need to do before installing is to power it on, get into the bios on your pc, which there should be an option to do when you first boot up, on my pc you use the DEL key when it first boots up. Others use F8, etc. But you need to get in there, and see if it will let you disable the onboard video, on mine I don't think you can disable it, but mine has an auto setting. So either click that setting for onboard video to auto, or preferably disable if your motherboard has that option.

Next step, turn the pc off, as well as turn off the power supply switch or unplug the computer from the wall, touch a metal part of your case to ground yourself before touching anything electronic, put the video card in the slot, and make sure it's locked in securely, and seated firmly, plug in your monitor and power supply etc. Restart, and it should boot into windows and detect the new hardware. Just make sure you use a driver cleaner to clean out the old drivers, then install the drivers from the disk they give you, or go to nvidia's website and download the latest drivers and install those. After that, you should be good to go. Enjoy the card:)

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
My BIOS doesn't allow me to turn the OnBoard off. I do believe that it is my Power Supply. I need to upgrade to run the card properly. Could someone shop at Tigerdirect.com and find a card that would work for my PC and Graphics Card? I am really bad with these things. Anything under $50 would do.. well should do.

I mean my current PowerSupply is 180watts.. so in your professinal opinion, wouldn't that stop the card from running?

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Sorry about the "Double POst" but, I think each update deserves a new post. I was just on m floor reading my powersupply stats in the pc.. and the max is 380watts.. so my powersupply does have the juice to support the card.. which puts me back in a "I don't know" state...

The BIOS does automatically switch to "PCI EXPRESS" which is weird because the card simply isn't working. I don't know whats going on and quite truthfully I don't have the know how to mess around with this, nor the money to hire someone to do it for me. Which makes all of you my last hope.

Do you have any friends with computers that you could try out your video card with? I'd try them out first and see if the card works or not. I was going to suggest what Ohiou_grad suggested, because I've ran into that same problem before. If you don't have someone to help you out with testing the video card, I would take it back and tell them that it doesn't work. It's possible it's bad and your spinning your wheels for nothing, but then again you don't know that or not right now. At least then you can get your $ back and have it available for a PSU or another GPU purchase.
I wouldn't recommend much in the $50 price range. If your wanting to game more than a 8600gt or 2600xt would be the minimum that I'd get right now. Even a 7600gt would be a good purchase too. Not sure if you have enough power. By some searching around it appears you have a Delta powered PSU. 300w max and only 100w on the 12v rail by my calculations, even though the sticker says 15A max. You can look here for the details:
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/ps/sps/desktop/download/pdf/DPS-300PB-1.pdf
Delta Electronics, Inc
Model DPS-300PB-1 A Rev: 01F
Input 100-127V ~ /8A. 200-240V ~ /4A. 50-60Hz

Output + 12V /15A -12V /0.8A +3.3V /28A MAX
MAX POWER 300W +5V /30A +5VSB /2A

THE COMBINE POWER ON 3.3V & +5V TOTAL 180W MAX.
+3.3V & +5V 180W
THE COMBINE POWER ON +3.3V +5V & +12V TOTAL 280W MAX.
+3.3V,+5V & +12V 280W

So if I read this right 280w - 180w for 3.3v & 5v = 100w max for 12V rail, which equates to 8A!!! Don't even think that is even enough to power much of anything. You'd be better off getting a quality PSU first and then upgrading your GPU later, IMHO.

You can build a better system for the ~$376 w/shipping than what they are offering. Of coarse you would have to have a OS to put on it, but still that system is quite old by todays standards.
e2140 - $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116037

mobo - $81 shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131197

memory - $61 - $30 MIR = $31 shipped 2x1 gig = 2gig's of quality DDR2 667mhz Cas3!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146567

GPU - FREE use your 8500gt (not gamer friendly though)

Case - $30 shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147074

PSU - $45 - $30 MIR = $15 shipped! This will blow the doors off of any 380w PSU for the $.
Antec earthwatts EA380 ATX12V v2.0 380W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

DVD - Free Use previous DVD in current system
HD - Free Use from current system, unless both the DVD and HD are IDE than get a newer HD or DVD burner.

Total ~$292 - $60 MIR's = $232!!! Now that would be a WAY better build than the one your thinking of buying. If you wanted to add the OS ~$100 you'd be at $332!! Now that's $40 cheaper than that POS refurb that your looking at. You can decide which way you want to go, but I'd go with something like I stated above.

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I am one of those people which have had nothing but bad luck with NewEgg... meh.

The only improvement I see that you added with what you have there would be the Motherboard. Over the refurb I suggested anyways. Maybe if I had the technical know how on how to build a pc, it would be fun. I find that buying them prebuilt is so much easier. Buying it from Tigerdirect would mean that I would end up with 1 year warranty with a company that I know well. Now I know my computers well enough to know that I won't be buying a super computer but, considering that I have spent over $8500+ on PC's in the past 3 years... I simply don't want to spend that much more attempting to build a PC by myself.

The Refurb which I have shown, I have recently upgraded before hand... I been playing Hellgate on 1680x1050 res at Max settings. Of course I have put a lot more money into that machine than I was going to put into this one.

I didn't really make myself clear when I started this thread... I should have included that this PC is just a spare for my wife. I wanted to put a semi-ok graphics card in it.

I did test the card by the way in my other computer, and it works.

Okay, so your PSU should be changed out. If there is room in your case for the PSU that I linked above, you'd be set to use the 8500gt than. Just double check all of the connectors, since alot of pre-builts may have proprietary connections. I think emachines don't, but don't quote me on that one. If you bought the $45 PSU and could drop it into the system that should solve your problem.

P.S. building a PC isn't that hard anymore. It used to be more involved, but things have are better now. Hope that I've helped out somehow.

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
You have helped out a lot. I went ahead and ordered a New Power Supply for this machine, and I bought that Refurbished PC... will update on my progress later on.

Oh and Iunyone... would you care to elaborate on why the GeForce 8500 GT isn't to gamer friendly?

What I mean by not too gamer friendly, is that it doesn't do too well on games. Yes it's better than just onboard gpu's, but not much. Here's a link to show you how it stacks up against other cards out there. I took a 7600gt (last generation gpu) and selected your 8500gt (current generation) card.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=856&model2=716&chart=275

As you can see at 1024x768 (~17" CRT) the 7600gt has ~41 fps (most games over 25-30fps is decent. The 8500gt has ~17.5 fps on the same settings and game. If I were to take your 16x12 settings from your other monitor, you see what I'm talking about (7600gt - 14.2 fps vs. 8500gt 8.2 fps). If I was spending $100 on a GPU right now (which I think is what you said you spent), I'd get a 2600xt or 8600gt. Each of them on the 16x12 setting had about 15 fps. And about 45 fps on the 1024x768 settings. If your playing SIM's or WoW, your going to be fine, but your more demanding titles will bring the 8500gt to it's knees. That is why I don't consider a 8500gt a gamer friendly video card. You can ask around and find out for yourself, but 9/10 or more people will agree with me on that.

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Ok, I was just wondering is all. I been using the Geforce 8500 on another PC to test it out and it seems to be running Hellgate on the Highest settings, on a 1680x1050 resolution at 42fps... which I thought was good...

Hey, if it's working for you than good. I just wouldn't buy it myself. I have seen alot of reviews and it isn't considered very good at all, but if it works for you, than by all means use it.

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
See that is what confuses me. My 8800 (which fried because Installed the Water-Cooled Heatpan wrong... preformed the same as this one. Graphics card are confusing (for me atleast).

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Alright lunyone.. I got a 8600 GT.. and I my Technician told me that my Power Supply wasn't "Psi-Express Ready".. so could you throw me a link to a 450+ watt power supply that is compatible with the Emachine T6528? No Price Range on this one, I plan to throw a few bucks into the machine and give it away afterwards.

Okay here are a few quality PSU's. From my reading online, I'm pretty sure you can install a standard PSU into your machine. Not sure of you current PSU dimensions, but here are a few PSU that I'd recommend.

$52 shipped - $5 MIR = $47 If you don't believe in MIR's than this would do. It has 25a on the 12v rails, so you'll be fine with your 8600gt, plus it has the PCI-e (6 pin) power connector for your card.
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817104953

$47 shipped, $37 w/google checkout! This would probably be about the same as the Fortron, but this PSU has been pushed to run an 8800gtx and an OC'd e6600, so you would be fine here too.
Antec EarthWatts EA430 430W ATX12V Power Supply
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-380w-p-satx-12v-v-2-2-80mm-p-s2-fan-80-plus-certified/q/loc/101/203477214.html

Next up on the rung for PSU's:
$60 shipped, $50 w/google checkout. Hard to beat this one for the $.
Antec Earthwatt 430W 80-Plus Certified Power Supply - EA-430
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-earthwatt-430w-80-plus-certified-power-supply/q/loc/101/203477215.html

$70 shipped - $10 MIR = $60! Nice solid PSU here.
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W Active Power Supply Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006428

Anything above these would be major overkill for that system. Both the Antec's and the Corsair brands I linked are very efficient PSU's, so that keeps them cooler and doesn't loose as much power to heat! Hopefully any of them fit your budget. Just double check and make sure these PSU's fit into your existing case (should be able too, but not for sure on this).

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
They will all fit & they are all in my price-range... I am not cheap by the way, I simply dislike spending a lot of money on a machine that I know isn't worth it.

I am really hoping that it is the PSU that isn't letting the cards power-up.. if it's not that than it a Motherboard/Pci-e Slot problem.. and this computer just isn't worth the upgrade.

The way I figure it, if I can reuse the PSU I buy if that is the case.. so is it really a waste of money afterall.

Yes you could reuse the PSU, just don't know if there is any special (proprietary) connections on the eMachines. I don't think so, but just something to think about. I made a mistake on my previous post. The second PSU listed is a 380w Antec Earthwatts PSU, not the 430 that I cut and pasted there.

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Hey Iunyone.. I am really appreciate what you are doing for me but, could you possibly shop at www.Tigerdirect.com for me? There are a lot of PSU's there and I don't want to go with the wrong one (wrong as in being, not the best for my money). I get a very large discount (40%) from www.Tigerdirect.com whenever I buy something under $500.

cleeve

Illustrious

If that's the case, Hellgate must be one of the easiest games to run.

The 8500 is a woefully slow gaming card. An old Geforce 7600 GS or X1650 PRO would beat it pretty easily.

On the plus side, an 8500 barely sips any power at all... I don't know why you think you would need another power supply for it.

Nice discount!!! Okay here are a few to consider, some might be too much overkill right now, but with 40% discount, you can't beat them.

$120 Probably one of the best PSU's out there right now for the $. You can't go wrong here, it'll handle 2 GPU's too!
PC Power & Cooling / Silencer / 610-Watt / PCI-Express / SATA-Ready / Copper Power Supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3247723&CatId=106

$80 - $10 MIR = $70 Now this isn't the best from OCZ (stealthX aren't as well built as the GameX), but for your needs it is more than enough!
OCZ / StealthXStream / 600-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / PCI-e Ready / Active PFC / Power Supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3092557&CatId=106

$80 - $10 MIR = $70 Probably the one that I'd get for you. It's efficient and quiet.
Corsair / VX450W / 450-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3287208&CatId=106

sicuro

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I went ahead and bought the Third One, Thank you. I will report back when I have it installed.

It looks like it will fit anyways, if not.. eh.