E6750/Gigabyte P35-DS3L overclock issues. Please help!

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
before anyone yells at me to read the sticky how-to... i already have. multiple times. Please don't point me there.

I'm new to overclocking and this is my first desktop (had a dell laptop before.) I got the E6750 cause i read all these reviews about getting to 3.3GHz with no problems at all (and even higher up to 3.6!!!). My motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L and i have G-skill DDR2-800. My issue is that i can't OC over 3.0GHz. completely frustrating. I can boot up at 3.3 but prime 95 fails immediately. I went through the newbie's OC-ing guide multiple times and i have all the power-saving settings disabled. My multiplier is 8x413 with a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio so the ram is at 826MHz. I have my core voltage at the "normal" 1.35. I've tried increasing the DDR2 voltage +0.1 to 1.9v and that didn't help. (g-skill specs are 1.8-1.9). I have also tried all 3 performance enhance settings (standard, turbo, and extreme(what do these even do? the board manual isn't helpful at all)) all without any luck. My RAM timings are stock/loose at 5-5-5-15. worst of all is that if i set my core voltage to "Auto", CPU-Z reads it as 1.408!! adjusting back to what BIOS would say (assuming its linear and using the "normal" vcore(1.35) at 2.66GHz speed (reads 1.312 in CPU-Z and 1.35 in BIOS) it translates to a 1.4488V! Its completely disheartening that some people are running 3.5GHz on LESS than "normal" core voltage and i can't get mine past 3.0GHz without a huge bump! Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction as to what is going on? Again its an Intel E6750(2.66GHz, VID=1.35) in a Gigabyte P35-DS3L (BIOS version F7) along with 2x 2GB G-Skill DDR2-800. PSU is a OCZ Game Xstream 700W and an EVGA 8800GTS(320MB). Also i'm running XP Pro (32-Bit) with SP2. ( I had XP Pro x64 and it wasn't OC-ing right so I though maybe it had something to do with windows... guess not.)

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

-Mike

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
1. leave performance enhance at standard

2. manually adjust CPU voltage to something like 1.45V

3. try 333x9 or 375x8

4. that board won't post with the fsb the way you had it unless you add some volts to the NB or (G)MCH overvolt. But....I added +0.2v to that this morning and it fried my board.

Good luck, and if you haven't figured out that computers don't always do what you want them to then mabey you should find a new hobby. :pfff:

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I've tried some of these things already...

1. I have, and experimented with the other performance settings. (On a side note I read that under the advanced memory timings on the DS3L there's a control for the NB latency. These "performance" mode things just adjust that with the default one setting it to 11. Manually changing this value overrides the performance setting. I tried ranging it from 8 to 15 with no better stability)

2. I could, but thats defeating my question/purpose. Other people are getting to 3.3GHz on stock or in some cases less than 1.35V.

3. the max multiplier is 8 on an E6750. 375x8 is only 3GHz and i can run that stable. I want to get to 3.3GHz

4. I'm skeptical of raising the NB voltage. First, I've read that P35 chipsets already run hot at stock voltage. Increasing the NB voltage would make it run even hotter, thus requiring a fan (might do anyway, that HS gets toasty!) Second, I don't particularly want to fry my board. Sorry to hear about yours.

Anymore ideas would be very helpful. I can't figure what is wrong.

-Mike

I don't know why I'm even replying to this since you already received some good advice from Dunkel and blew it off. Just because "some people are running 3.5GHz on LESS than "normal" core" doesn't mean you will be able to also. Each chip is different. You may not have got a particularly great overclocking chip. My E6420 requires about 1.42V in the BIOS to be completely stable at 3.2GHz (400x8). I also had to up the voltage on my NB by 0.1v and am running my ram at 2.0 volts and 4-4-4-10 timings. If you aren't willing to add a little voltage then just be happy with 3GHz. Your chip, motherboard, and/or RAM are obviously not getting enough voltage to provide a stable overclock.

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
mt,
Just because I posted back my thoughts on what he said doesn't mean that I "blew it off". Some of his suggestions did not apply to what I was asking for in the first place. I did take his suggestion on the performance setting, and I have/did try playing with my vcore. His suggestion to put the multiplier at 9 is pointless as an E6750's max is 8. And just because he said he raised his NB voltage and me saying I'm skeptical of doing so is not "blowing it off". I simply won't raise it +.2 like he did. Please don't bother to post if you don't feel the need to, especially if its not relating to the post. Regardless, your thoughts have been noted as well.

-Mike

I would say that if you've tried upping the voltage on your processor without any luck, try narrowing down what's holding you back. I know 4GB kits are a little tougher to overclock (or even get to run at rated speeds for that matter). If the G-Skill specs are 1.8 - 1.9, I would try upping the RAM voltage to 2.0. My Corsair RAM specs are 1.9 and I've been running them at 2.0 for almost a year without any problems. A further small bump in voltage should at least rule out RAM. If that doesn't work, I would try upping the NB voltage by just +0.1. My overclock worked without raising the NB voltage except that my video card link speed would sometimes drop from 16 to 1. If upping the RAM and/or NB voltages don't work, the problem is most likely your processor. Just slowly start raising your processor voltages until Prime95 runs successfully. Like I said, my e6420 took 1.42v in the BIOS to be stable at 3.2 GHz. I have a Zalman 9500A cooler running in silent mode and even with 1.42v it idles around 33C and maxes out at 56C, so if you have a decent cooler upping the volts should be fine. You said you had read the sticky on overclocking so you've probably already done it, but one last thing to make sure you have done is to lock your PCI-E at 100. Sorry if my first post seemed a bit harsh. Good luck!

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Thanks for that info mt. no problem!

I actually ran some tests last night.... I'm bummed out by the results.

sorry there's a lot of info i took, but its rather interesting i think.
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mjlamb/Pictures/results.jpg

At 3.04GHz on normal vcore, i got a 33% PRIME95 fail rate.
Any speed higher resulted in an almost immediate fail. At 3.2GHz(normal vcore) i couldn't even boot.

I ran memtest86 for a Wall Time of 7 mins each.
For that 900MHz RAM test, after 7 mins i had 0 errors, but i let it go to 11 mins just to see but it still had 0 errors.

Another note: while performing all of these tests... not during ANY test did my core temperatures exceed 61*C and when Idle was around 34/35*C (using core temp v0.97.1, Tj. Max = 100*C)

I guess my only options left are to:
1. start increasing other voltages(not vcore) to get stable
2. be satisfied with 3.0GHz.

just a question... theoretically speaking, the goal is to keep vcore low. this 1.keeps temps lower and 2. improves the life of the CPU at higher speeds. So are you pretty much negating the effects by increasing NB and etc voltages in an attempt to keep the vcore low? if thats the case, maybe its simply better to throw the 1.4 at the CPU and leave the other board components at normal. Just a thought. Ideas?

-Mike

ocguy31

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
LOL "Some people" are getting X speed out of X Voltage. Sorry, that is like quoting Wikipedia as a source.

"Auto" settings tend to over-volt, but not by that much. I doubt you can get to 3.3 without raising voltages. I used to have that chip.

honolululu

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
As I understand it one way to help find out what's holding you back is to set up the BIOS for 6 X 400 FSB or 415.

See if you can get that stable. If so then the problem is probably a medium OCing cpu. Good luck!

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
2 more cents.

IMO, the FSB you are using is a lot for that board. It's only a $90 board. If you want it to over perform then you need to crack the whip. Put a 40mm fan on the NB and juice it. Adding .01 to the FSB voltage prolly wouldn't hurt either. IMO.

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
i think im gonna go ahead and put a fan on the NB so i can raise the NB +0.1 and see if it helps.

dunkel, do i need to put a fan on there asap? or can i try it for a boot or two to see if its stable?

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
You can add 0.1 to the NB and FSB without an issue. If you're going to continually stress test it, I would put a fan on it. Take the side off your case, add the +0.1, run Prime for an hour and touch your NB to see how hot it gets.

I'm not entirely sure why my board went out, hopefully Gigabyte will give me some in site when they take a look at it. Then again it could have been my chip, I didn't have a spare chip to test the board with.

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Why do you keep trying to run @ 1.35V? Like I said at first, try 1.45V. Run Prime for 10-20 min. If you don't get any errors you can go back into BIOS and drop it to 1.43V.

Also take your RAM voltage up to 2.0V.

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
i'll give that a shot. im trying to run at 1.35 simply because i read about others at 1.35 and are somehow at 3.3/3.4. im just wondering if there's a specific reason mine wont. i know that not all chips are created equal, just simply checking out things.

i just looked at HW monitor and it says my mem is at 1.9 when bios says 1.8. interesting, haha. wonder if that means a +.1 is actually running at 2.0. i'll give the FSB and NB a try. thanks

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
well.... i tried to run at 8x413 so 3.3 with a +0.1 on FSB/NB/DDR2 and a vcore of 1.45 and Prime would fail after ~30 seconds. 3.2GHz(also at 1.45 vcore) ran for ~10 before i stopped it to try 3.2GHz at 1.4 vcore in which Prime failed after a minute or two.

3.1GHz (8x388) also failed Prime at a vcore of 1.35 and the FSB/NB/DDR2 up +0.1

I cant run my RAM any lower. the lowest ratio is 2.0 and my max multiplier is 8. i can run it lower than 800 (750MHz), but then im only at 3.0GHz. should have gone with 2GB DDR2-1066 instead of 4GB of 800

seems like my overclocking adventures are over. only 3.2GHz at 1.45vcore. Im kinda bummed out.

Fisherman619

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I pretty much got that exact set up. e6750@3.3ghz, Gigabyte GA P35-DS3L, OCZ ATI edition Ram@ 4-4-4-12 2.0v Vcore 1.33. Prime95 for 8hrs perfectly stable. Make sure you overclock a little bit at a time. If your just jumping from stock to 3.3 it aint going to work. Theres a good article here on Toms that gives a good step by step.(Dual vs Quad core) http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/08/dual_vs_quad/
Overclocking: Dual- vs. Quad-Core CPUs | Tom's Hardware I followed this step for step and had no problems. Prime95 max temp-61. Crysis max temp-51. COD4 max temp-50. all on stock air cooling. Hope this helps.

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Fisherman,
funny you mention that link. i found that too and was what i based all my figures that i wanted to get to from. Maybe that's my problem then? i mean, the first time i OC'd my chip, i just tried to go right to 3.3. Im kinda nervous about my ram though. im thinking maybe its too cheap, i went for quantity over quality. I'll give it a try though, overclocking to each level they did trying to match their settings and see how i fare. Also, how long did you run Prime before restarting and pushing higher?

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Most RAM can handle 2.1V.

What CPU cooler are you using?

Most people who get outrageous OCs, 1) are very knowledgeable and take there time, 2) lied, or 3) spent a boatload on a MB and extra cooling.

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
I have the Zalman 9500 cpu fan, so im not concerned with my CPU temps. Maximum i've seen is 66 when i had vcore up to 1.45 trying a 3.3GHz overclock for about 5 mins.

I guess i'll give my ram a try with higher voltages. Should i trust HW monitor or the bios? with bios at <auto> HWmon shows 1.9 but if i do a +0.1 bump on it, HWmon still shows 1.9....

Dunkel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Trust what you know. I think stock RAMv is 1.8 on that board. Check your user manual. 1.8 + .2 = 2.0, 1.8 + .3 =2.1.

The auto setting is adding +.1 for you. Just take it off auto and add .2 for now.

Keep in mind that none of this comes without risk. My RAM doesn't heat up at 2.3V but I left the side off my case so I could touch my sticks every 20 min during prime.

Fisherman619

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I think your ram is fine. I ran Prime95 for 2hrs.= Stable! Then made my next oc. Also set your performance enhancer to Standard. System mem multiplier to manual and set to their specs. Then go into system voltage control-manual and go into DDR2 overvoltage control and put it at +.1. Then go back and put System voltage control back to auto. It will apply a +.1v. Thats it! Thats all i did. Been running the 3.3ghz - 826 1.1 settings i got from there for 3 months with no problems. Still idles @ 36-38c and 61-62c full P95 load. This is with the stock intel fan and Xclio case. With that Zalman you should be able to shave off a few degrees. Also dont worry about HW or CPU-Z showing a lower voltage and/or FSB speed. This board has an energy saver system (which i like) that only uses what it needs to run. eg. if your just surfing the net, it will drop the vcore voltage,multiplier and FSB speed. Turn on a program or play a game and everything will go up to the OC you put it at! Good luck!!

Mike714312

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
well, its been a while since i've last posted. i've tried so many different settings its crazy. My current max overclock is 3.0GHz (8x375) at 1.35Vcore 1:1 ram:fsb ratio so 750MHz on the Ram with no voltage increases on the NB,FSB and etc. Timings on the ram are 5-5-5-15 as well at normal 1.8V.

I'm not sure what else i can do. even to jump from 3.0 to 3.2 requires a vcore of 1.4 just to boot, failing Prime immediately. Overall I'm just bummed/jealous that i see many people running at 3.2 at 1.35 vcore and just changing it to 8x400. the only other options im left with that i can tell is running at ~1.45-1.5vcore probably with RAM,FSB and NB voltages increased as well.

Has anyone have any other ideas?

Also, i've tried different BIOS versions, both F7(which was what my board shipped with) the F8b, the "oc stable" as stated by Gigabyte's site F3, and i'm currently running the newest F8f. all with no luck.

If i post up screen shots of ever bios page for my setting, will someone be willing to look through it to see if i have any issues?

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Mike,

It sounds like you're trying to do a full system overclock all in one step. The key to a successful and stable overclock is to take it nice and slow, and overclock only one component at a time.

Unfortunately, the RAM that you chose does not leave you with a whole lot of headroom before you hit its rated maximum speed. This is going to severely handicap any overclocking you attempt to do while using its default values (speed, timings, and voltage).

I would maintain the specified 5-5-5-15 timings, but up the RAM voltage by 0.2, giving you 2.0v on the RAM. This should not lead to any problems. Since you've already upped your core voltage to 1.45, you know that this is a relatively safe value for you, so go ahead and set that as well. Bump your vMCH and vFSB by 0.1 and go to town. Increase your FSB in roughly 20MHz increments. After each step, run Prime95 for at least a good half hour as a quick stability check. If you find yourself getting errors inside that time, go back, and try loosening your memory timings slightly. If no go, then it would appear that you got an unlucky chip that just does not like to be overclocked.

It takes time and patience to get an overclocked system right. I've been running my E6750 for almost 2 months now, and still haven't found its upper limit. See system specs in the sig. Granted, I don't have much time during the week to mess with it, and my own anal-retentiveness makes me spend far too much time in stability checking at each waypoint. However, I'm making good progress on it, and the system has been absolutely stable every step of the way.

Post back if you need more help, I'd be happy to offer more advice.

-J

Edit: My old system is still in my sig. Check my Hardware Configuration for details on the new box.