Sign in with
Your question

Anandtech - A closer look on Barcelona

Last response: in CPUs
November 28, 2007 11:42:46 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3162

Does Barcelona look better?
What´s your opinion about price/performance?
Unfortunetelly there´s no power consumption data.
November 28, 2007 1:56:12 PM

BaronMatrix said:
I don't expect much movement on this thread.

I see
I don´t expect much movement on threads seeking information and interchange either .

It´s all about flaming this days.
Related resources
November 28, 2007 6:41:35 PM

keep it real said:
I see
I don´t expect much movement on threads seeking information and interchange either .

It´s all about flaming this days.

It maybe because it does show Barcelona in a very good light. That was the most thorough review I've seen as it looks at WHY rather than just numbers.
November 28, 2007 7:36:24 PM

BaronMatrix said:
It maybe because it does show Barcelona in a very good light.

Oh, it must not have benchmarks in it then, right?
November 28, 2007 7:52:09 PM

Nah you misread... K10 not really any faster than K8 (just stuck 4 of em together and hoped lol)- just has improved memory controller and cache bandwidth...

They just been nice lol... Xeon in a different league... lol.. usefull processors

And yer theres no benchmarks :pt1cable: 
November 28, 2007 8:30:27 PM

WazzaUK: you obviously didn't read the article, cause there are benchmarks. Xeon's not the only server solution by far. Their results show that winrar and mysql performance on the barcy makes the Xeon look laughable.

Being someone that runs database servers, and mysql in particular, barcy would be a better processor choice for me.
November 28, 2007 8:37:24 PM

I have to admit.... Last fast/large servers i had were AMD (opteron). Best servers i ever had.... althou i had a few intel multi cores too - they held theyre own too....... But i suppose it depends on what the server has to do... (mysql/php).
November 28, 2007 10:36:46 PM

Quote:
It maybe because it does show Barcelona in a very good light.

Not very good light. The central core is shown to be an improvement over K8 but still very much behind Core 2 Penryn - behind in integer, x87 FPU, and SSE. The interconnects/IMC, on the other hand, count in some applications, and Opteron easily takes the lead when those are emphasized.

I felt this was no surprise - the details of why were nice, but we all had an idea that "Core 2" is a very strong core without a good architecture to network it (past dual core). And secondary to that, we now know that when Intel was talking about Radix-16 dividers, this would bridge most of the x87 FPU weakness that Core 2 previously had relative to K8.
November 28, 2007 10:39:07 PM

Lol :-D. I'm sure most DBAs will agree that "Database server" and "mysql" really don't belong in the same sentence.
November 28, 2007 11:30:23 PM

I read the Anandtech review on Barcelona and was a bit surprised. Barcy did a lot better than what earlier reviews had suggested. It does beat the Xeon 5365 in about half the tests, but is still slower than the 5472 in most tests. The review shows that there is a trade off and its not a pure Intel slaughter of AMD.

I only wish the Phenom had done so well. Then it would have presented an alternative choice, though still a bit slower then Intel's chips. As it is, Phenom can't even beat the faster models of the AM2 chips, much less Intel's offerings.
November 28, 2007 11:47:39 PM

Part of the reason is that the higher of the test Barcelonas used to compare was 2.5GHz, which is a faster clock than even the highest retail Phenom. The reason for the dismal first showing was that Barcelona came out at 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 GHz (or was it 1.7-1.9?); on top of that, the highest bin was nowhere to be found.
November 29, 2007 5:56:21 AM

I posted this on another thread but no replies - it seems to be apropos here - corroborating on DB performance, since Phenom is a derivative of Barcelona :

Looking at Newegg comments on Phenom 9500, I saw this one:

"I was initially hesitant due to all the negative reviews and then i picked up two of them. my newegg one has not arrived yet but ive had the other one for two days. Outperforms my barcelona quads by a slim margin. Beaten by my 6600 G0 intel proc in most games by around 10% but absolutely kills the 6600 in database compute. this is a server proc masquarading as a desktop proc."
November 29, 2007 7:44:38 AM

BaronMatrix said:
I don't expect much movement on this thread.

Because it pretty much confirms our conclusions on Barcelona...

1. Barcelona is slower than C2D on single threaded programs, clock for clock, by about 10%.
2. In multi-threaded environment, Barcelona can really shine.
3. Barcelona's architecture is just a slightly modified K8, with a shared L3 cache.
November 29, 2007 7:47:43 AM

Kob said:
I posted this on another thread but no replies - it seems to be apropos here - corroborating on DB performance, since Phenom is a derivative of Barcelona :

Looking at Newegg comments on Phenom 9500, I saw this one:

"I was initially hesitant due to all the negative reviews and then i picked up two of them. my newegg one has not arrived yet but ive had the other one for two days. Outperforms my barcelona quads by a slim margin. Beaten by my 6600 G0 intel proc in most games by around 10% but absolutely kills the 6600 in database compute. this is a server proc masquarading as a desktop proc."

Then he says Phenom should be a replacement for Barcelona, not X2. It really makes you wonder how much he knows about computer.
!