Begging for HELP. System won't start up anymore!

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Here's how the problem started. Recently, my computer would not reboot upon restarting from XP. It would start up but I would get nothing on my monitor (it wasn't a monitor problem because it works when connected to my other PCs and laptops). When I started up the PC from off, it would work fine.
Then the problem gradually got worse as it refused to start up from off at times. Again, the power would go on, fans a'blowin' and hard drive lights on, but no picture and I know windows didn't start up because I had no trademark sound. It would take several tries (sometimes me letting it sit for a while) before it would finally start up again. And it still wouldn't work upon rebooting either.

Then I noticed it was probably a problem with the motherboard because I would get error messages telling me the printer needed to be installed, as if I unplugged it for a while or something. And when the power supply is on but the computer is off, I should see the blinking light from the ethernet cord connected in the back. Now, I don't see that at all.

Something is seriously wrong and I don't know what. The computer never had any problems once it was on, but no I can't seem to get it on at all.

My specs should be in my sig. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions. Otherwise, I'd rather not have to but I likely start building a new PC.

EDIT: Oops, here are my specs:

Asus a7n8x e-deluxe
Athlon 3200+
1 gig RAM
ATI RADEON X1600 PRO

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Well, I have never been that great of a troubleshooter, but it really does seem like a PSU problem. Do you happen to have an extra PSU you could test with that rig?

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Unfortunately, no. But the power supply turns on when I turn on the unit. There just doesn't seem to be anything working after that. No display on the monitor at all.

Dax3000

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Well I Wouldn't Start Rebuilding Just Yet, My Computer Did The Same Thing When I Just Build It I Think It Might Just Be The Hard Drive That's Going Bad Try Switching Them And See What Happens

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
My brother inlaw had the same problem yesterday. What happened to his was it was full of "dirt" he was going to play WoW and he set his pop on top of his computer. The slight jolt from the pop bottle caused some dust to come loose inside, and when it resettled it shorted out his 3v on his PSU.

He brought it over and told me what happened. The first thing I did was test his power supply, and found the dead 3v.

I told him last month that he should clen it but he didnt. Now he needs a new PSU and possibly other parts burned out to. We wont know til he gets a new PSU.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Interesting, roadrunner. My case has had some build up of dust and that very well could have been a problem. I try to clean it often but it builds up so fast.

OK, so Ill try replacing the PSU and start from there. Just not sure which ones work with my case/motherboard/etc.

try running a diskcheck using DOS(or some thing smiler through UBCD) to see if the HDD has any problem. It is more than likely your PSU, I had the same thing happen to me on an old P4 based PC. (The PSU caused file corruptions because of random restarts, which required me to wipe out my HDD and reinstall)

350th post

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

How do I reset the CMOS? I'm not sure which jumpers will do the trick.

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
This is similar to what i'm experiencing at the moment - but i can get mine working by turning off at the mains, leaving for a minute or two, and then turning the mains back on. don't try and boot yet - leave it for 15 seconds or so and then do so.

[See my thread about it, i'm looking for an answer too]

What brand of PSU do you have?

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

I used to be able to get it to work by turning off the mains and then coming back. No more, however.

Its a Raidmax ATX12v. Old from when i built this rig in '04.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

OK, I just reset the CMOS (took out the battery, moved the jumper over for 10 seconds, moved it back and then put the battery back in). Nothing has changed.

Does the fact that the mobo's onboard LED is on when I have the PSU turned on mean its likely a problem with the PSU and not the motherboard? That would be so much easier for me.

Any other ideas would be great.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well being you have an ASUS and I only use ASUS and every board from ASUS I've ever used makes a beep to let you no all is well, if you arent getting a beep you power supply is shot and you need to buy one instead of asking over and over again what is wrong.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

Unfortunately I don't remember if there was a beep or not. I'm not getting one now.

But you mentioned your brother-in-law having the same problem. My only concern is that it can't be the PSU because I'm still able to power up but I just get nothing on the screen. Unless the PSU can short out partially and still supply power for the fans, LED light on the mobo, etc.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
My bro inlaws lights up, fans spin, no beep, no video. I happened to build his for him it has an ASUS board in it. It used to beep like all my other ASUS builds. Now no beep. I have a PSU tester you simply plug it in and it has lights for each different voltage on the PSU. When you plug the tester in it will beep and all the lights will come on. Well it dont beep and the +3.3v light dont come on. All the other lights do but the PSU wass still shot. The +3.3v is the one i see burnt 99% of the time. It has the most amps on this particular PSU the +3.3v is 30 AMPS.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
That's encouraging then. I've already ordered a new PSU. Hopefully, that will yield a victory.

If not, its the first new part of a new system.