Requesting verification help from other BFG 8800 GT OC2 owners...

Victor5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I just bought the BFG 8800 GT OC2 card. Has any other owners actually looked at the bus speeds in the NVIDIA control panel?

Basically, what I'm concerned with is how to tell between OC2 vs OC ? (Yes, there is an OC version)

The card itself has no physical indication whether it's OC2 or OC, or anything OC at all... it just has a nice logo that says it's "GeForce 8800 GT 512MB".

The information from both NVIDIA control panel and EVEREST all show me the following specs:

-GPU Clock: 626 MHz (Core)
-GPU Clock: 1566 MHz (Shader)
-Memory Effective Clock: 1800 MHz (900 MHz)

But the above specs are for OC!! (official specs link: http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88512gtoce.aspx )

For the OC2, it should have displayed the following:

-GPU Clock: 675 MHz (Core)
-GPU Clock: 1674 MHz (Shader)
-Memory Effective Clock: 1950 MHz (975 MHz)

(official OC2 specs: http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr88512gtoc2e.aspx )

I even called BFG tech support and the guy said that it's only showing me the "2D" information, and that there is no way of showing the "3D" speeds. I'm not satisfied with that answer.

Can any other owners of this card please post their NVIDIA settings information to verify? Was I a victim of an attempted 'switcharoo' scam? (the plastic inner container that the card was enclosed in had a tear all along one side...)

Not to be paranoid or anything, but the numbers tell me that I have an OC card, even though what I paid for is the OC2 card.

Please and thanks,
-v

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
That doesn't sound right. For any card no matter what the family the reporting tools should show the correct core and memory speed.

Victor5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
To follow up, here is my card's information from GPU-Z:

l7i70sbve1.JPG

As you can see, it clearly displays the specs of the OC version instead of the OC2.

Are there other owners of the OC2 card that can display their GPU-Z information to verify?

Please and thanks,
-v

Victor5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Still no luck...

I installed Riva Tuner and turned on the hardware monitoring graph. Then I launched a 3D game (full-screen mode) and played for a bit. And when I alt-tabbed to see the graph, nothing changed in terms of the clock speeds.

Here is the screenshot:

138dmkoyk7.JPG

As you can see, the bus speeds stayed at the same stock clock speeds before and after starting the game.

Only the temperature changed -- it increased from 50 degrees to 51~52 degrees during the game.

So far, I have yet to see any of the OC2 advertised clock speeds... all my investigating so far shows that I have the stock OC card.

Would like to hear confirmations of clock speeds from other OC2 owners if possible... anyone?

Thanks,
-v

P.S. I shouldn't have to overclock. I bought an OC2 card, so I should be getting the higher clock speeds out-of-the-box...

Did you get the card in a cardboard box? See if the box says OC... If it does, the retailer gave you the wrong box (by mistake or a scam, no idea). If it says OC2 I'd say it's a scam.

I got an 8800GTX OC2 last summer and it does say OC2 in big gray letters on the box.

mutt11

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Nvidia's control panel, and pretty much all other tools, will show the actual 3d clock. The BFG tech you spoke to is either ill informed or blowing you off.

Victor5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I spoke to another BFG support guy and told him about the "2D" thing and he basically said that was b.s...

Oh well.... life happens.

I think I have enough confirmation now. Here is my NiBiTor output of my card's BIOS:

d22v037cni.JPG

It shows the lower clock speeds.

It seems my good luck continues, I got a box and video card labelled OC2, but the card itself was not flashed with the correct OC2 bios.

I am going to RMA this the place where I purchased it (ncix.com).... what a pain. And this card is out of stock everywhere right now, which means it will be some time before I get this replaced.

I did call BFG and their RMA dept told me it would be better to RMA with vendor instead of with them, because BFG RMA means I send them back my new card and they send me back a refurbished card. Apparently, this is what they do with all RMAs, they never send out new stock, only refurbished (but working) stock.

I'm going out to buy a lottery ticket... :D

Thanks to all for your help! (at least I learned a lot about tweaking programs and diagnosing video cards in the process)

-v

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Did it come in an OC2 box? just wondering, usually there is some kind of marking, cant be that the sent you the wrong product completly can it?

Victor5

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007

This is a case of manufacturing error. I got an OC2 branded retail box. An OC2 stickered video card. But, the BIOS on the card was incorrect. It was supposed to be flashed with the OC2 BIOS, but somehow in the process my card did not get this done.

The OC and the OC2 cards are identical pieces of hardware. The only difference is the default BIOS flashed into them. I spoke to a BFG tech support and he confirmed this fact.

-v