Grayed out areas around text

Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in grayed
out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

    Grayed out areas of what?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ODV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
    > grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    > Jack Nation

    Wes wrote: Grayed out areas of what?

    Jack's Reply: Grayed out areas of error dialogs and many other dialogs that
    have text in them, but cannot be highlighted nor copied as text.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Jack Nation

    > Grayed out areas of what?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:ODV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
    >> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
    >> --
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Jack Nation

    Like these?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/09_01.GIF
    or
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_02.GIF
    or
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_06.GIF

    Beats me.

    If text can be highlighted it can be copied. If it can't be highlighted,
    you have to type it yourself. Or Alt + Print Scrn to copy to clipboard
    error message, etc.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uT9tIz8iFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes wrote: Grayed out areas of what?
    >
    > Jack's Reply: Grayed out areas of error dialogs and many other dialogs
    > that have text in them, but cannot be highlighted nor copied as text.
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    > Jack Nation

    >> Grayed out areas of what?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:ODV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
    >>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
    >>> --
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>> Jack Nation

    Yes, like those (the ones that have text in them).

    > Like these?
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/09_01.GIF
    > or
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_02.GIF
    > or
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_06.GIF
    >
    > Beats me.
    >
    > If text can be highlighted it can be copied. If it can't be highlighted,
    > you have to type it yourself. Or Alt + Print Scrn to copy to clipboard
    > error message, etc.
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uT9tIz8iFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wes wrote: Grayed out areas of what?
    >>
    >> Jack's Reply: Grayed out areas of error dialogs and many other dialogs
    >> that have text in them, but cannot be highlighted nor copied as text.
    >> --
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Jack Nation

    >>> Grayed out areas of what?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:ODV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >>> Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:

    Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
    copy and in what format.

    "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in grayed
    > out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    > Jack Nation

    I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job. Anybody have any other
    suggestions? I would appreciate them.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Jack Nation

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
    > copy and in what format.
    >
    > "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
    >> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
    >> --
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Jack Nation

    Message Boxes copy the text to the clipboard if you press Ctrl + C. Many dialogs in windows allow greyed text to be selected. If you want precise answers you need to ask precise questions.

    This is clearly a stupid statement, "I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job". Why? Because you don't say why it won't so noone know why it won't do the job.
    "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:eSP6CxJjFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job. Anybody have any other
    > suggestions? I would appreciate them.
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    > Jack Nation
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
    >> copy and in what format.
    >>
    >> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
    >>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
    >>> --
    >>> Sincerely,
    >>> Jack Nation

    Hi David!

    1. My more precise question as your comment suggested:
    "Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in grayed out
    areas? I am aware many dialogs in windows allow grayed text to be selected.
    Some do not, and it is these I am interested in. I want to use the text in
    word processors."

    2. As for SnagIt... when checking the SnagIt website, it was apparent that
    it was not programmed to copy text in grayed out areas.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Jack Nation

    -

    Jack Nation wrote:

    > Hi David!
    >
    > 1. My more precise question as your comment suggested:
    > "Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
    > grayed out
    > areas? I am aware many dialogs in windows allow grayed text to be
    > selected.
    > Some do not, and it is these I am interested in. I want to use the
    > text in word processors."
    >
    > 2. As for SnagIt... when checking the SnagIt website, it was apparent
    > that it was not programmed to copy text in grayed out areas.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Why don't you just take a screenshot? Press the Printscreen button and
    paste the results into a graphics program like MS Paint. Alt +
    Printscreen takes a screenshot of just the active window. Or use
    something like ScreenGrab, which is a handy free little program.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks Mr. Malke. I can do what you suggest (and have). However, if it is
    a large error dialog with a lots of text in it, and I want to send it to a
    newsgroup, won't I need to OCR (Optical Character Read) the printscreen copy
    I made first?
    --
    Sincerely,
    Jack Nation

    Jack Nation wrote:

    > Thanks Mr. Malke. I can do what you suggest (and have). However, if
    > it is a large error dialog with a lots of text in it, and I want to
    > send it to a newsgroup, won't I need to OCR (Optical Character Read)
    > the printscreen copy I made first?

    It's "Ms." and no, you don't need to use OCR software. You only use OCR
    if you want to turn a scanned picture into text that you can edit and
    you don't want to do that. What you *do* want to do is make sure your
    image isn't too big. Saving as a .jpg is one way. You can also reduce
    picture sizes with XP's built-in resizer or with a free program like
    Irfanview.

    Another alternative to sending it to a newsgroup (many newsgroups don't
    want binaries, so read their FAQ first) is to just post it on a
    website. Most ISP's provide some amount of space for a "homepage" if
    you don't have your own website.

    If you are trying to exchange pictures on a binary newsgroup, then check
    out that newsgroup's FAQ; most probably they have instructions about
    preparing and sending images.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    Thanks Malke. I'm going to check out your suggestions now.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Jack Nation

    "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Jack Nation wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Mr. Malke. I can do what you suggest (and have). However, if
    >> it is a large error dialog with a lots of text in it, and I want to
    >> send it to a newsgroup, won't I need to OCR (Optical Character Read)
    >> the printscreen copy I made first?
    >
    > It's "Ms." and no, you don't need to use OCR software. You only use OCR
    > if you want to turn a scanned picture into text that you can edit and
    > you don't want to do that. What you *do* want to do is make sure your
    > image isn't too big. Saving as a .jpg is one way. You can also reduce
    > picture sizes with XP's built-in resizer or with a free program like
    > Irfanview.
    >
    > Another alternative to sending it to a newsgroup (many newsgroups don't
    > want binaries, so read their FAQ first) is to just post it on a
    > website. Most ISP's provide some amount of space for a "homepage" if
    > you don't have your own website.
    >
    > If you are trying to exchange pictures on a binary newsgroup, then check
    > out that newsgroup's FAQ; most probably they have instructions about
    > preparing and sending images.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell