  • Microsoft
  • Processors
  • Windows XP
July 17, 2005 9:49:26 PM

Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in grayed
out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

More about : grayed areas text

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:02:17 PM

Grayed out areas of what?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jack Nation
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:13:40 PM

Wes wrote: Grayed out areas of what?

Jack's Reply: Grayed out areas of error dialogs and many other dialogs that
have text in them, but cannot be highlighted nor copied as text.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

> Grayed out areas of what?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Jack Nation
July 18, 2005 6:13:41 PM

Like these?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/09_0...
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_0...
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_0...

Beats me.

If text can be highlighted it can be copied. If it can't be highlighted,
you have to type it yourself. Or Alt + Print Scrn to copy to clipboard
error message, etc.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uT9tIz8iFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes wrote: Grayed out areas of what?
>
> Jack's Reply: Grayed out areas of error dialogs and many other dialogs
> that have text in them, but cannot be highlighted nor copied as text.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jack Nation

>> Grayed out areas of what?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
>>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jack Nation
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:42:14 PM

Yes, like those (the ones that have text in them).

> Like these?
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/09_0...
> or
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_0...
> or
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/08_0...
>
> Beats me.
>
> If text can be highlighted it can be copied. If it can't be highlighted,
> you have to type it yourself. Or Alt + Print Scrn to copy to clipboard
> error message, etc.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uT9tIz8iFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Wes wrote: Grayed out areas of what?
>>
>> Jack's Reply: Grayed out areas of error dialogs and many other dialogs
>> that have text in them, but cannot be highlighted nor copied as text.
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Jack Nation

>>> Grayed out areas of what?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Jack Nation <jnation@mchsi.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:08:22 PM

Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
copy and in what format.

"Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in grayed
> out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jack Nation

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:58:53 PM

I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job. Anybody have any other
suggestions? I would appreciate them.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
> copy and in what format.
>
> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Jack Nation

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:30:12 PM

Message Boxes copy the text to the clipboard if you press Ctrl + C. Many dialogs in windows allow greyed text to be selected. If you want precise answers you need to ask precise questions.

This is clearly a stupid statement, "I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job". Why? Because you don't say why it won't so noone know why it won't do the job.
"Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:eSP6CxJjFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job. Anybody have any other
> suggestions? I would appreciate them.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jack Nation
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
>> copy and in what format.
>>
>> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
>>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jack Nation

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:17:32 PM

Hi David!

1. My more precise question as your comment suggested:
"Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in grayed out
areas? I am aware many dialogs in windows allow grayed text to be selected.
Some do not, and it is these I am interested in. I want to use the text in
word processors."

2. As for SnagIt... when checking the SnagIt website, it was apparent that
it was not programmed to copy text in grayed out areas.

Hope this helps.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

news:o Xxv0FLjFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

-
"Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>I checked out SnagIt and it will not do the job. Anybody have any other
> suggestions? I would appreciate them.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Jack Nation
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried SnagIt!? It has many different variations on what you can
>> copy and in what format.
>>
>> "Jack Nation" <jnation@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> news:o DV$DHyiFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
>>> grayed out areas? I want to use the text in word processors.
>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jack Nation

July 20, 2005 4:16:09 PM

Jack Nation wrote:

> Hi David!
>
> 1. My more precise question as your comment suggested:
> "Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
> grayed out
> areas? I am aware many dialogs in windows allow grayed text to be
> selected.
> Some do not, and it is these I am interested in. I want to use the
> text in word processors."
>
> 2. As for SnagIt... when checking the SnagIt website, it was apparent
> that it was not programmed to copy text in grayed out areas.
>
> Hope this helps.

Why don't you just take a screenshot? Press the Printscreen button and
paste the results into a graphics program like MS Paint. Alt +
Printscreen takes a screenshot of just the active window. Or use
something like ScreenGrab, which is a handy free little program.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks Mr. Malke. I can do what you suggest (and have). However, if it is
a large error dialog with a lots of text in it, and I want to send it to a
newsgroup, won't I need to OCR (Optical Character Read) the printscreen copy
I made first?
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

> Jack Nation wrote:
>
>> Hi David!
>>
>> 1. My more precise question as your comment suggested:
>> "Anyone know of a small program that will let me copy the text in
>> grayed out
>> areas? I am aware many dialogs in windows allow grayed text to be
>> selected.
>> Some do not, and it is these I am interested in. I want to use the
>> text in word processors."
>>
>> 2. As for SnagIt... when checking the SnagIt website, it was apparent
>> that it was not programmed to copy text in grayed out areas.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Why don't you just take a screenshot? Press the Printscreen button and
> paste the results into a graphics program like MS Paint. Alt +
> Printscreen takes a screenshot of just the active window. Or use
> something like ScreenGrab, which is a handy free little program.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
July 20, 2005 8:13:44 PM

Jack Nation wrote:

> Thanks Mr. Malke. I can do what you suggest (and have). However, if
> it is a large error dialog with a lots of text in it, and I want to
> send it to a newsgroup, won't I need to OCR (Optical Character Read)
> the printscreen copy I made first?

It's "Ms." and no, you don't need to use OCR software. You only use OCR
if you want to turn a scanned picture into text that you can edit and
you don't want to do that. What you *do* want to do is make sure your
image isn't too big. Saving as a .jpg is one way. You can also reduce
picture sizes with XP's built-in resizer or with a free program like
Irfanview.

Another alternative to sending it to a newsgroup (many newsgroups don't
want binaries, so read their FAQ first) is to just post it on a
website. Most ISP's provide some amount of space for a "homepage" if
you don't have your own website.

If you are trying to exchange pictures on a binary newsgroup, then check
out that newsgroup's FAQ; most probably they have instructions about
preparing and sending images.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:35:50 PM

Thanks Malke. I'm going to check out your suggestions now.
--
Sincerely,
Jack Nation

news:o By7tCYjFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...