Sign in with
Your question

Second core (core1) temperature incorrect on Core 2 Duo?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
  • Temperature
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2008 3:58:08 AM

Hi, i just installed an E8200 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo processor with an ASUS P5KC motherboard, and was looking into overclocking it. I currently have the stock Intel heatsink+fan installed.

I installed several programs to monitor the CPU core temperatures, and Core Temp and CPUID Hardware Monitor seem to give the best results.

My problem is, the first core (#0) behaves as expected under stress tests in Prime95 and Orthos, idling at around 42-43C and going up to 61C after a period of stress, whereas the second core (#1) remains virtually unchaged, and has not left the 46-49C margin while i have monitored it at all.

Initially, I believed the Prime95 test was using only one core, but i now believe this to be incorrect. The only possible problems i can think of are a faulty temperature sensor in the second core, or some error in fitting the heatsink/fan, though the second seems unlikely, as you'd expect to still see variations in temperature under load.

Any thoughts anyone?

More about : core core1 temperature incorrect core duo

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2008 10:57:45 AM

croco611, from the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Section 15: Troubleshooting

Notice: A significant percentage of 45 nanometer processors are being reported with defective DTS sensors, which appear as unresponsive Core temperatures, particularly at lower Scale. Excessive Offsets between Cores of as much as 8c are also being reported. Sensors can be tested using Real Temp 2.24: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=28... Processors with defective sensors should be RMA`d. This applies to E8000, Q9000 and QX9000 series processors.

Comp :sol: 
April 1, 2008 11:37:06 AM

ah, that seems to be the problem, thanks for the help
!