EVGA 8800GT Superclocked consistant lock-ups. Please Help.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I need your help. Heres my specs first.

EVGA 680i SLI MOBO
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED version 650MHz 950Mem
2GB RAM
700W PSU
E6600 DUAL CORE
Plenty of cooling Idle = (CPU 37, CASE 28, GPU 52) Load = (CPU 43, Case 32, GPU 77)

I bought the new 8800GT card and for some reason cant get it to run at default clock anymore. It was running great until I did a full system reformat and re-install of my computer the other day. Everything installed great but now when I try to play any games like Crysis, COD4, or even run a GPU stress test, my computer screen fills up with artifacting and splotches and then locks up. This happens almost instantly when I begin a game or do the stress test. I can do normal desktop and internet things though. So I tried to underclock this card back to 600 and 900. The card seems to run fine at those clocks, lame. The closest I can get it without locking up is 640MHz and 940Memory. This is suppose to be the factory 8800GT Superclocked version and I am having to underclock it. Also keep in mind that I was even able to overclock this card to about 700MHz and 1000Memory like the SSC version without any problems before I reformatted my computer a few days ago. Yes I have all of the latest drivers for everything including bios. Does my card maybe need more power or something? I do have it plugged in too. What could be wrong? Please help.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
so after you reformatted your computer you HAD to underclock it to get it to not lock up? Or did you first OVERCLOCK it and now are underclocking it, after you reformatted ? That seems odd...if you did reformat and than did a direct underclock. IF you did do a true reformat and cleaned everything..the graphic card should default to normal speed...and there shouldn't be a problem since you don't have any program to overclock it with.

I found this on another forum: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/p2911837.html

"I got my 8800GT on Wednesday (eVGA KO version), and it locked up so much I thought it was defective. Crysis would crash with under 5 minutes of game play, BF2142 would lock up after 5-10 minutes, RTHDRIBL and Supreme Commander would run without issues though.

Tried different driver versions, changing the fan speed with RivaTuner, reseating the heatsink with AS5 (which I recommend, since they used a TON of cheapo silicon compound), underclocking back to regular 8800GT speeds, reseating the card, moved it to the other PCIe 16x slot, left the case open with a fan pointing inside, and pretty much every other potential fix I could find online.

What finally fixed my problem was disabling Cool n Quiet in the BIOS. Once that was turned off, everything ran flawlessly. Crysis ran in a loop for 8 hours without a hitch. So, if you have any dynamic overclocking (or underclocking) going on for your CPU, try turning it off if you're having stability problems."

Also Try:

- Increase gfx card fan speed to 60% with RivaTuner: http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449
- Check that your graphic card has enough AMPS on v12 line for your whole system.
- Reinstall the latest official driver (version 169.02), don't use a BETA version: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
- Remove all overclocking/gfx card moding programs
- Check heats again with another program...
- Perhaps a program is auto-overclocking it and saved those setting in BIOS, that you are not aware of? Might want to check temps/speed when you startup windows...
- Check that the graphic card is correctly plugged in and getting enough power (6 pin connector)
- Think of any OS program or update you need to get or remove that could be causing this...maybe too much cpu usage? or...you need to update something graphic related?
- Maybe it isn't graphic card related? Maybe some other hardware (HD/RAM/etc.) are defective...probably not though...

I can't think of any reason why you would be getting artifacts...unless you tried to overclock it too much for too long before you reformatted and it somehow damaged the card OR the card was defective when you received it...either way eVGA has lifetime warranty....and pretty good service...worse come to worse - just return it and get a new one from them.

Someone had lock-ups here as well, maybe this will help: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031694534

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hey thank you so much buddy. I will try all of that good stuff. Sorry, I will be more specific too. Three days ago everything was working fine and I was using the default clocks which are 650 and 950. Then after having it for a few more days, I wanted to experiment and see if I could overclock to the SSC version which is 700 and 1000. For that one day of game play it worked with the overclocking of 700 and 1000. Everything was still fine. I actually didn't notice much of a difference at all in games with the higher clocks so I then put the clocks back to default and not really noticing a difference so I kept them at 650 and 950 default. I only had it overclocked for about 20 minutes if that. Then I forgot about the saying if its not broke then dont fix it. So just for **** and giggles, I wanted to reformat and have a bran new computer with my new card. After cleaning everything out and doing a full reformat and flashing my bios and clearing the CMOS, and then re-installing all drivers is when I started having those problems. Yes the card did go back to default at 650 and 950. That is when it would lock up until I underclocked it to 640 and 940. So I tried uping the fan speed and that seemed to work for about 2 hours and then artifacting and crash. So now I am going to play with the fan at 100% and see if that will keep it going.

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
"flashing my bios and clearing the CMOS"

just hope you did that right...those can be dangerous if done wrong - at least for me (i personally don't touch them) lol. Best of luck.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the concern, but yes I have done that many times in the past and am very familiar with how to do it. This sucks man, I tried those things and still lockups. I am now having to underclock it at 640 and 940 with fan up to 80% to run consistantly stable. Somethings not right. Oh hey... I dont have that option "Cool and Quiet" in my bios which is what that guy recommended to do and worked for him. Also how do I check to see if my card is getting enough AMPS?

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

well do you have a link of your power supply - like from newegg or something? You just need to see how many AMPS are on the 12v line (~28amps is a good amount)....however, your PSU is 700W - which means it probably more than enough amps...so its probably not the problem. I have an eVGA 8800GT superclocked....on stock...60% fan speed...47C idle....57 on Load...never had an issue with this card. just plug and play for me. If you can't figure out what is wrong within like...3 days...just RMA it and get a new one from eVGA w/ the warranty.

BTW: My PSU is an Antec Earthwatt 430W with like ~25 amps on 12v line..it only cost me $29...so Unless your PSU is defective, not working right, or a BAD brand/quality - I don't think it is the issue.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
90% chance this is due to your CPU Bios being fubared. Many comapnies have released new BIOS in just the last month to handle the 8800 GT drivers.

Also, try downclocking your memory on the GT to 900.

randomizer

Champion
Well you don't have cool n quiet because you don't have an AMD rig ;)
You need to look for EIST (or speedstep) and C1E instead.

Knowing the brand and model of your PSU would be handy too so we can see what it's like.

Downclocking should not be necessary to run the card stable, it is sold at a guaranteed factory overclock and if it can't run at those speeds then it is quite likely that it is a "bad" chip, or is not receiving enough power. It is possible that your PSU could be dying at a bad time too, though it is unlikely it is still something worth considering.

If all else fails, you can always RMA :)

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Thanks, I will look for those things in my bios. The bran of PSU I am using is OCZ GamerXStream 700W. Heres the exact PSU on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002&Tpk=OCZ%2b700w

Does that PSU put out enough power for my EVGA 8800GT Superclocked @ 650MHz and 950Mem?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

I have the latest drivers and have tried 196.02, 169.09 and still no good. I currently have it underclocked to 600 and 900. This sucks, because I am noticing a major downgrade in game play especially for Crysis, but it seems to be staying stable for about 30minutes or so. What else do you think is going on?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Ok, so this is how cool EVGA is. I called them and they already have another card in the mail cross shipping completely free of charge and paid shipping both ways. Its good to see the big guys caring for the little consumers all the way to the end. So I am going to see if its the card when it arrives. I hope so and all this mess is over. I also called OCZ and they are ready to ship out a new PSU free of charge too. Two great companies.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Hey Randomizer. Help me out with that Eist or Speed step and C1E. I will look to see what they are set at and get back to you real shortly, but what should I change them too or can you give me any tips right away?

qmalik

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

YAY! LUCK YOU! :bounce: You are getting new free hardware w/o shipping - thats really nice! no need to worry now! :pt1cable:

randomizer

Champion

Anything relating to "disable" ;)

If it doesn't fix the problem you might as well re-enable them because they save power.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Ok Randomizer I checked my bios and this is what I have. First of all my mobo is the EVGA 680i SLI. I want to give you all my stats in the section of bios.

Limit CPUID MAx Val: Disabled
Intel Speedstep: Disabled
CPU Thermal Control: Disabled
C1E enhanced halt state: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Virtulization Technology: Enabled

Also, my CPU Voltage is 1.28v and CPU FSB is 1.20V.

Please let me know if I should change any of those bios settings to possibly solve this issue. Thanks

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Just a thought but your card is already overclocked by the factory and then you overclocked it even more and ran it for at least a day like that...
Did you know that if you overclock (or overvolt) hardware too hard you can permanently damage it? especially if you didn't think about improving its cooling too before you did it. Sometimes damage can be just that it won't work at such a high frequency any more...

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Hey Niz good point and thanks for commenting. I was gradually overclocking the first day by 10 and never saw artifacting or had any issues with it. Also, I heard from several people instead of buying the EVGA 8800GT SSC 700MHz and 1000Mem, I should just buy a lower end one and overclock it myself. So I did run it for about 20 to 30 minutes with the Crysis demo with those higher clocks and didn't see anything wrong with it. I also made sure to increase the fan to 80% and got nice temperatures of about 72 at max load. I then played a little COD4 with those clock specs and still it seemed fine. Then I lowered it back to defaults and installed the latest drivers from EVGA 196.09. Before I was just using the CD-ROM drivers that the card came with. Maybe I should try those again. So, good point, but I was very careful and didn't notice anything wrong with the card until I reformatted my computer and then re-installed all new drivers. Then it started happening.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Zog,

I haven't messed with the C1E setting and it is still set to enabled. I haven't touched it because I dont really know what it does. So should I try turning it off and what other settings should I disable or enable to get my card to stop crashing?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm not sure what's causing your crashes. I was just letting you know how to stop the CPU throttling, in order to test the previous suggestion. The throttling caused the problem with AMD's cool and quiet and might also have something to do with your problem. It's a quick test so it's worth a check. You made a lot of changes simultaneously, so it is hard to pin down the cause. If you roll back the drivers make sure you use driver cleaner to remove all traces of the current driver first. I'm assuming that you are monitoring the temps with Rivatuner when you get the artifacting so that would rule out temps.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Bring on the flames but...

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER buy a card that is OCed out of the box. NEVER buy a card that is OCed out of the box from EVGA. If you avoid doing both of the things I just said you have increased the probability of recieving a card that actualy works and will for a long time to come by 10 fold.

EVGA constantly pushes OCed products out of the door with next to no test time. They constantly RMA more cards then any company out there. Companies like Asus and others test product at much longer lengths and offer them to you stock. They let you OC them. They offer tools to help you do so. They offer much better cooling and quality just about all of the time. I only say this because my brother works for them. I have been getting discount hardware from EVGA for years. They cheeze everything they do. My brother tells people he works at Wallmart they are so cheap on everything. I have been building systems word of mouth for kids at the colledge for a good few now. Nothing crazy. I had to stop putting EVGA parts in those systems because they yield me problems about 3 out of 5 times.