What is the right timing for a new rig?

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Ok, I'm much of a home builder myself but I am looking at setting up a new rig and my particular question did not fit in any of the single other forum sections.

What is in your opinion the right timing for building a new rig, given the upcoming launch programmes of Intel, NVidia and AMD/ATI? Intel will be launching some interesting new CPU's in Q1 I saw/heard, but I'm not too well informed on NVidia and AMD/ATI roadmaps at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated. If it is of any relevance I want it to run Vista 64bit, and obviously it will have to be a quadcore cpu, preferably on a socket that allows for easy upgrading after 2 years. On my current rig I just missed that window of opportunity as AM2 was introduced right after I bought my mobo with s939.

Regarding breathing some life into my old rig, the only thing they still sell locally for 939 is a X2 4200+. Is it worth upgrading my current (single core) 3800+ to that? I guess I would also need a 8800 GTS (at least) gfx board to go with that but that I already know.

tytech

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Never. With technology, it's never a good time. That's the general rule of thumb ;) To answer your question, I was in your situation last month. I had an old socket 939, needed to upgrade. I made the decision to place my money towards a socket type and CPU that gave me at least a good couple of years. But it all depends on what kind of money you're looking to spend. In the "new builds" forum post a question "What's a good mid-range rig?" or something along those lines. People love responding to that kind of stuff. Before you know it, you'll have 20 replies. Have fun!

Well 3800 to X2 4200 is a good upgrade, but if u really have the money get an Intel Core2Duo E2160 with a nice P35 board and OC it and then add a gfx (if u meant the 8800GTS with 96 SP then dont get it ,get 8800GT 512 instead , its faster but if u meant the 8800GTS with 112 SP, then go for it)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The age old question, to build or not to build. It all comes down to whether your current rig does the job. Waiting is always good but you might wind up waiting forever.

Hmmm, lots of rumors but nothing official yet.

I like the concept of 3 nVidia cards or 4 ATI cards working together. They've been promising this for a while now. If you have a lot of money and a huge monitor and you play a lot it may be worth waiting for this. I believe the 780i chipset from nVidia will be released in January. Don't know about AMD/ATI, their deadlines tend to change a lot anyway.

As far as video cards are concerned, I think the most interesting upcoming thing is the G92 8800GTS (very much like an 8800 Ultra with lower power consumption thanks to a die-shrink). I understand it will be available this year.

I understand that Nehalem CPUs will not work with LGA 775. That is, upgrading the CPU in two years will require a new mobo. If you go with AMD I don't know, but TBH AMD's quads are not very impressive right now.

Intel has just demonstrated a QX9770 CPU. That one doesn't even work on X38, i.e. the latest chipset, unless you overclock it to 1600 fsb. So much for upgrading Intel CPUs and keeping the motherboard...
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3154

The best time to upgrade is when your current setup no longer runs the games and applications that you want to play or use at frame rates you believe to be acceptable or perform a task in an amount of time you find acceptable.

Tech is always being released. Nehalem from Intel and AM3 from AMD will require a new socket and chipset. If buying Intel, right now any Skt 775 mobo with a P35 or X38 chipset will see the most longevity. If buying AMD, then your best bet would be a Skt AM2+ mobo with the 790FX chipset.

Unless you are looking for a whole new machine, you can never underestimate the advantages to buying extra/faster RAM, a better/faster gpu, and afermarket cpu or gpu cooler, overclocking, or the fastest proc your mobo can accept.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for all the input so far, everyone.

There can be other non-tech related issues that have an influence on the economic lifetime of a system. I try to make my rigs last for 3 years with a minimum effort on upgrading. Why? Because where I live I can write off the system in 3 years, and get (significant) tax deduction. Any upgrades I do in the mean time do not fall under the same regime.

As you can deduce from the above, I am indeed looking for a whole new machine. My old rig will be pushed into the family pipeline.

kainokai

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007

i second that...however... i'll add: "upgrade big, and you'll upgrade less often (and spend less in the long run)"
ie it's better to spend $2000 now, and have it last for 3 years than spend $1000 each year for three years, but that depends on the system and what is required of it.

i guess the main question is, what will the PC do during it's life time?

(^.^)V

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003

As I described previously another driver for doing the 3 year scenario is for tax deduction reasons. Because I have this 3 year approach, the exact timing of getting a new system can be really important because it will determine whether I even have a suitable option for upgrades in the mean time or not. the 939 socket became end of life, already in the first year of the system's economic lifetime. Would I have known I would have opted for a different technology (probably. a64 was the best value for money at the time, regardless of its socket).

That's why I am asking with regard to timing. I have some flexibility in choosing my upgrade time, but once bought, I will have to do with it for 3 years. Any intermediate upgrade will be full costs for me instead of tax deductible expenses.