DVD-R Erased?!? How the Hell?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey everyone,

I've a got a little inquiry. How in hell can a DVD-R that I have been using for 5 months 'magically' erase? After using it on a laptop I just bought, it seems that all the data was erased. I remember seeing the message "Preparing your DVD to be used on another computer" that day, but cannot certify that it was with this DVD.

1) How would my DVD drive do this by itself?
2) Is there a way to retrieve my Data
3) What the **** is going on?!

Thanks for any support. :D

** I'm using a Drive that can read DVD-+R, and have actually tried the DVD in another computer. So this isn't a hardware issue.

weilin

Distinguished
Does the DVD acutally come up with 4.7GB free? or is it 0mb free? If its 0, then the disk is corrupted, and nothing is readable. Thus it would seem like a "empty" disk. If it does say 4.7GB free... U sure u didn't grab the wrong disk?

snipingkid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hey,

Thanks for all the prompt replies. I ended up searching the net for an actual application that could 'restore' my DVD. In fact, my new laptop somehow tried to burn over the actual contents, and I believe we can now burn over DVD-Rs using certain applications (although the DVD may not be as stable or as secure as a real DVD-RW.

I downloaded an application called ISO buster, which sorted out the DVD's content in sessions. I was able to recover my old stuff. The down side is that I will have to buy a key to use it.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Hopefully this thread will help any other users with the same problem.

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You really can't re-burn a DVD-R like DVD-RWs. You can definitely burn more data to it, but the existing burn marks are still there, making both burns unusable. The sessions are a feature of DVD-Rs, since DVD-Rs can't burn over the same area of the disc more than once, it sections them into sessions, allowing you to burn more or different stuff on to it. Technically the old data is still there and always will be (that is, unless you try to burn OVER it).

hemanth593

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Try to open with "Isobuster" software ..your problem definitely will be solved

Status
Not open for further replies.